Trigger Question

gltaylor

Staff member
OK brain trust. Got a question for the group:

On my new "toy" I tried a different trigger this time. Previously, all I've ever used is Arnold Jewel's triggers or Canjars.
This time I was curious and wanted to see what one of the Timney 2 lb straight triggers felt like.

It breaks clean and the pull gauge shows 2 lbs dead on.

It just "feels" much heavier than my 2 lb Jewels.

My question is: is this a characteristic of "straight" trigger shoes? If so...not sure I like it. I can lighten the pull weight, but I'm not crazy about carrying an extremely light trigger on a hunting gun.

What are your thoughts?

Straight shoes are all the rage these days and I suspect its overrated...

My only experience with them is on a pistol so not sure if this applies to 2lb trigger pulls but where I place my finger on the shoe makes a difference in "feel" and how "crisp" it breaks (the bottom is lighter). With a curved shoe the finger just naturally finds the same spot every time, to me anyways.

It’s because you’re thinking about it. Get a steel target out to distance or a critter infront of you, that 2lbs. Will feel like 2lbs again.

In all seriousness. I noticed difference where standard trigger is use more of the middle of the tip of my finger, I believe due to deeper curve of trigger. Flat trigger I use the very tip of my finger.

It’s because you’re thinking about it. Get a steel target out to distance or a critter infront of you, that 2lbs. Will feel like 2lbs again.

In all seriousness. I noticed difference where standard trigger is use more of the middle of the tip of my finger, I believe due to deeper curve of trigger. Flat trigger I use the very tip of my finger.
Unless you have Sasquatch fingers then all bets are off... 🤷🏻‍♂️

I have both curved and flat triggers. I prefer the flat triggers for target work but it doesn't matter a lot. I use only Triggertech triggers when I can these days. Going to a Triggertech diamond 2-stage on my new target rifle. Time will tell whether I've outsmarted myself or not. ;)

Well, thanks for all the inputs.
Obviously I've been working up loads and only shooting targets.
Concentrating on wind and shooting little groups - with much focus on the rifle.
I was startled the pull gauge read 2 lbs on the nose. It felt like much more. And yes Muddy, with hands like boat paddles and fingers like logs, it really feels different to me🤣.
Guess I'll try finger tip and see if that's better (if I can).
So far, not impressed.
May get another trigger and give this one to somebody else?
Thanks all. Knew I could count on you 🤗.

Someone said this above....and I 1000% agree....pull the trigger from the bottom. Place your trigger finger on the bottom of the trigger guard and slide into the trigger for repeatability. You finger naturally wants to grab higher as that is what curved triggers teach us.

All that being said.....I have a couple straight triggers and am ambivalent. Probably because I have used curved for so many years. There is definitely a learning curve.

I avoid curved triggers and opt for straight triggers to line up the 90x90 degree equation. 90 of the finger to trigger and 90 straight back press. (180 straight back)

But I’ll go back in my hole…

Last edited:
Back