Vertical stringing update

Poc

Well…I thought the problem was identified when I found the windage screws really loose on my base. So I went back to the range and found the same 3 shot vertical stringing of 1.75”.I decided to switch from a Federal 215 primer to a 210 primer on the suggestion of others and the group was still vertical, but .60”!

I’ve had some recent experiences with loading Hammers that I would like to bounce off of some of you experts. A few weeks ago I was loading 3 different size hammers in 3 different 300 win mags. I didn’t correct my seating die between loads and seated one of the bullets 30 thousands too deep. I decided I would try to lightly tap the bullet puller in hopes I could ease it forward just enough as to not fall out and re-seat at the correct depth before using the Lee FCD. I’ve used he bullet puller on standard cup and core bullets and it usually takes several good whacks to dislodge the bullet. That light tap was all it took to cause the 165 PH to completely fall out. Surprised at how easy the bullet came out, I attempted to see if I could push the bullet back in with my fingers, and I could do it with only a moderate amount of force! The bullet did act like a mandrel. I’m using 2x Lapua brass annealed with neck tension of .002. Since then I have been crimping 1/2 turn with more consistent results and pay more attention to where the crimp lies in the groove.

I think what happened with this vertical stringing issue is that despite my firm 1/2 turn on the crimp die, the charge on the 215 Federal primer was initiating too quickly of powder burn for 73 grains of H4350 and the bullet was leaving too erratically?

Years ago I read an article about testing different brand standard primers and how each of those can vary. It even included pictures of the different degree of flashing of each type of primer. While loading Hammers in a 308 I saw almost 100 fps difference between Federal 210 and CCI br2 using Varget. I ran out of 165 PH bullets for now, but I will be interested to see what happens with an even lighter CCI br2 primer in this particular 300 win mag scenario. I know there are no absolutes in this game we play, but I’m beginning to lean toward a heavier crimp and lighter primer in an attempt to initiate more consistent bullet evacuation with a slower build up of pressure.

Anyway…just thought some of you might learn something from my bullet pulling experience with neck tension as well as the success of primer swapping away from the magnum primer.

There are several well known "Hammerheads" who encourage tighter neck tension for Hammers.
Sounds like your experience validates their thoughts.

While I don’t disagree with the attempt to I increase neck tension to .003-.004, I wonder what net effect in neck tension that will actually have once seating the bullet acts like it’s own mandrel causing additional expansion of the neck? I am unable to seat a bullet with my bare hands after resizing, I but could after pulling the bullet. There is some stretch effect happening with the brass during the seating process.

Back