Platinum Member

Dec 29, 2021 at 4:33pm
Steve Davis, harperc, and 2 more like this
Post Options
Options Edit Post Select Post Deselect Post Report Post Delete Post Back to Top
Who grinds their own wild game burger?
What do you cut it with?
What ratio/percentage?

Just did 60lbs venison cut with 12lbs of smoked and pepper bacon ends and pieces. Less than 20% fat as the bacon obviously has meat in it.

Pro-tip:
I vacuum seal by the pound in 8”x12” bags. Flatten the packages with a dough roller so, 1) all the air is rolled out before vacuum sealing, 2) they stack nicely in the freezer, 3) they thaw out quickly and 4) I can cut around three sides of the package and open it like a book, add seasoning to meat and close flap, flip package over, open flap, season side two, close flap, turn package back over, open flap, cut burger into 4 patties, then pick up the whole package and flop them right on the grill. No mess and no dishes needed. This is especially helpful in outdoor situations with limited supplies.

Generally the patties will be rectangular in shape which fit the shape of the bread I buy for sandwiches so I don’t have to worry about buying and packing a separate package of buns when I go camping or hunting. At home it’s not a big deal to make round patties and use buns. But generally on a trip I’m only eating burgers for one or maybe two meals so the majority of the buns usually end up being just one more thing to pack back home.

Anyway, anyone else have any burger tips or tricks?
Steve Davis Avatar
Steve Davis
Administrator

Dec 29, 2021 at 5:01pm
harperc, cbhaustralia, and 1 more like this
Post Options
Options Select Post Deselect Post Report Post Back to Top
We use pork. Have used bacon in the past. It is very good. Like your flat package idea. I have heard of another person does the same thing but uses a dowel to segregate the patties prior to freezing. Then when they thaw they are already cut into patties.
beeman Avatar
beeman

Dec 29, 2021 at 6:29pm
harperc, riceman, and 4 more like this
Post Options
I use beef fat in my burger. About 20-25% is what I like for a nice juicy burger. I used to vacuum seal but now I use the one or two pound poly bags. Put burger into the sausage stuffer and fill the bags. It’s fast and the burger keeps for at least a year no problem. Hog ring pliers a tape machine or small zip ties to seal the bag. The tape machine is my least favourite. Never works great. I also have a patty maker attachment for the sausage stuffer that works good for making pre made patties. These I partially freeze then vacuum seal so they don’t compress while sealing.
rausch Avatar
rausch

Dec 29, 2021 at 7:29pm
harperc, cbhaustralia, and 2 more like this
Post Options
I use 50/50 elk and beef trim. The trim has quite a bit of meat in it so the fat content isn’t too high. This makes a very good burger and also stretches my wild game a bit further. I do the same with pork for my sausages.
farleg Avatar
farleg
Platinum Member

Dec 30, 2021 at 3:13am
harperc, riceman, and 3 more like this
Post Options
Gday
what Ever I find as road kill turns into pretty good burgers lol
Cheers

jb338 Avatar
jb338

Dec 30, 2021 at 4:07am
harperc, riceman, and 3 more like this
Post Options
I like to use pork butt {quite fordy} season to taste. comes out pretty good. like the roller idea. going To try that. Thanks.
farleg Avatar
farleg
Platinum Member

Dec 30, 2021 at 11:26am
harperc, jb338, and 1 more like this
Post Options
jb338 said:
I like to use pork butt {quite fordy} season to taste. comes out pretty good. like the roller idea. going To try that. Thanks.

Gday JB
the muzzle is on 😜for now 🤔
Cheers
riceman Avatar
riceman
Global Moderator

Dec 30, 2021 at 11:50am
harperc, rausch, and 2 more like this
Post Options
Jb, I'm with you pork butt.
Not seasoned, 60/40 mix used as a hamburger substitute for everything. I used to use 60/40 beef hamburger. My wife has a reaction to almost all beef, so no long that way. Stuff tubes 1 lbs, for easy recipes for 2 people.
harperc Avatar
harperc
Global Moderator

Dec 30, 2021 at 12:10pm
riceman, farleg, and 1 more like this
Post Options
farleg said:
Gday
Cheers

Wrapped in some foil and cooked on the engine!

harperc Avatar
harperc
Global Moderator

Dec 30, 2021 at 3:11pm
riceman, cbhaustralia, and 1 more like this
Post Options
The story has it Mongol warriors placed meat between the saddle and horse. Then it was ready to eat at days end. Tenderized, cooked, and seasoned with salty horse sweat.

I've never had camel so maybe this was the best way to eat it.
jb338 Avatar
jb338

Dec 31, 2021 at 4:47am
harperc, riceman, and 1 more like this
Post Options
riceman said:
Jb, I'm with you pork butt.
Not seasoned, 60/40 mix used as a hamburger substitute for everything. I used to use 60/40 beef hamburger. My wife has a reaction to almost all beef, so no long that way. Stuff tubes 1 lbs, for easy recipes for 2 people.

Faleg- let er rip! All fun my friend
(rofl)
. Riceman ,last batch i made was to dry. gonna try 60/40 that should be a nice combo. Harperc. I'll pass on the camel.
(puke)
p.s. happy new year everyone !!!
meatbuck Avatar
meatbuck
Platinum Member

Dec 31, 2021 at 11:21am
Post Options
My take on wild game burger, (don’t take this to heart), is add as little fat to it to make it bind and keep it healthy. I hunt/eat wild game because it’s healthier than beef or pork.
To me a 50/50 or 40/60 is taking the health factor away and ultimately with a 40/60 or 50/50 pork mix, you are making sausage not burger. You definitely end up with more product but at the expense of your arteries.

I used to add fatty ground beef as well as the bacon ends and pieces but to me it was too greasy and as I said seemed unhealthy. Kinda like having a salad but dumping half a bottle of dressing on it. Or having a bowl of fruit and loading it up with a big spoonful of coolwhip or marshmallow sauce.

Again that’s just my take on it. No offense intended.
gltaylor Avatar
gltaylor
Global Moderator

Dec 31, 2021 at 11:55am
harperc, riceman, and 1 more like this
Post Options
I just leave mine plain. Works fine, course we rarely make little patties🤗
cbhaustralia Avatar
cbhaustralia

Dec 31, 2021 at 2:12pm
harperc likes this
Post Options
farleg said:
Gday
Cheers

I heard Tassie Tiger is best but hard to come by.
carsyn22 Avatar
carsyn22

Dec 31, 2021 at 7:01pm
harperc and tthetinkerer like this
Post Options
I don't cut it with anything, I just take whatever cuts and roasts I want and trim the rest to about 85% lean and double grind. My grandpa mixed his with pork but I remember his being a lot more gamey

mausermike Avatar
mausermike

Jan 11, 2022 at 7:40pm
Post Options
I butcher 100% of my game. I generally use bulk packed Falls Brand bacon end cuts, but they aren't always available. We managed to do all 5 whitetails this year with the bacon but when we butchered the wife's cow elk the store was out so I used pork back fat 10# to 79# of trim which works out to 13% fat. I also make my own snack sticks, summer sausage, chorizo, brats, leberwurst, kielbasa, etc.
BFD Avatar
BFD

Jan 15, 2022 at 8:14pm
meatbuck likes this
Post Options
10% pork. Whole deer gets turned into burger. If I want a steak, I buy an angus prime.
meatbuck Avatar
meatbuck
Platinum Member

Jan 15, 2022 at 10:12pm
warrbuk and farleg like this
Post Options
BFD said:
Whole deer gets turned into burger. If I want a steak, I buy an angus prime.

Gotta give you the thumbs down on that one. No hard feelings.
BFD Avatar
BFD

Jan 16, 2022 at 9:07am
meatbuck likes this
Post Options
meatbuck said:
BFD said:

No worries. My wife and I eat 2 deer a year. Burger is easy to turn into sticks, sausage, patties, meat balls, etc. I prefer goose breast over deer steak. Pellet grill smoked low and slow.
mausermike Avatar
mausermike

Jan 16, 2022 at 9:20am
carsyn22 and meatbuck like this
Post Options
meatbuck said:
BFD said:

You grind the backstraps and inside tenders?🤨
meatbuck Avatar
meatbuck
Platinum Member

Jan 16, 2022 at 10:02am
carsyn22 and BFD like this
Post Options
BFD said:
meatbuck said:

No worries. My wife and I eat 2 deer a year. Burger is easy to turn into sticks, sausage, patties, meat balls, etc. I prefer goose breast over deer steak. Pellet grill smoked low and slow.

While burger is very versatile, I enjoy a shoulder or neck roast or a steak just as much. We (fam of three and a baby) eat between two and 4 deer a year depending on success.
First year in a few that we didn’t get a bear to make sticks and summer sausage out of otherwise that’s the red meat we use for that.
I’ve ground goose burger before and even mixed it in with deer and bear but stopped for the simple fact that I don’t like my burgers well done(bear-trichinosis) and also because of the steel shot from the geese.

A goose burger is good but I like my teeth intact a bit more.

And yes a nice fat specklebelly goose breast cooked rare or med rare is just as good or better than your average deer steak. A rice fat pintail or wigeon breast is even better. Nothing beats duck fat. Wish deer fat was that tasty.
meatbuck Avatar
meatbuck
Platinum Member

Jan 16, 2022 at 10:22am
carsyn22 and rausch like this
Post Options
mausermike said:
meatbuck said:

You going the backstraps and inside tenders?🤨

Back straps yes of course, tenders meh, taste like guts half the time. Still eat em every time tho.

I’ve been cutting thick steaks from the hinds. I’m not familiar with the exact terms of the muscle groups but I generally end up with three big what I would call roasts from each hind that I’ve recently started steaking up about 1” thick. In years past we treated the tougher of the roasts as crockpot or instapot meals but even the tougher cuts have been worth steaking and marinading with a tenderizer (Like Cola, Rc cola, none of that ❄️ woke-a-cola).

Lastly I age my deer about 10 days to 2weeks and never cook a steak past med rare(usually rare) to get these yummy results. Yes there’s more waste trim the longer you age but the results can yield sashimi grade cuts.
meatbuck Avatar
meatbuck
Platinum Member

Jan 16, 2022 at 10:41am
farleg likes this
Post Options
mausermike said:
meatbuck said:

I see you edited after I quoted you. Thought this was directed at me, clearly not since you meant “grind” not “going”.
mausermike Avatar
mausermike

Jan 16, 2022 at 11:09am
farleg and meatbuck like this
Post Options
meatbuck said:
mausermike said:

I see you edited after I quoted you. Thought this was directed at me, clearly not since you meant “grind” not “going”.

Yeah sorry. Stupid auto corrupt and I quoted the wrong reply. That was intended for BFD😂
BFD Avatar
BFD

Jan 16, 2022 at 12:12pm
farleg likes this
Post Options
mausermike said:
meatbuck said:

Yeah sorry. Stupid auto corrupt and I quoted the wrong reply. That was intended for BFD 😂

Yes, backstraps and tenders ground too. We just don't like the taste.
meatbuck Avatar
meatbuck
Platinum Member

Jan 16, 2022 at 12:58pm
carsyn22, BFD, and 1 more like this
Post Options
BFD said:
mausermike said:
Yeah sorry. Stupid auto corrupt and I quoted the wrong reply. That was intended for BFD 😂

That’s hard to read.
Any chance of getting those shipped fresh to California?

Perhaps it’s a moot point but well aged venison, free of all fat and silver skin. Cooked to no more than medium rare should yield what most would consider the highest quality, finest tasting steaks around.

Anyhow, at least you’re eating them. That’s the important thing.

🍻

mtmuley Avatar
mtmuley

Jan 16, 2022 at 4:49pm
mausermike likes this
Post Options
meatbuck said:
BFD said:

That’s hard to read.

Perhaps it’s a moot point but well aged venison, free of all fat and silver skin. Cooked to no more than medium rare should yield what most would consider the highest quality, finest tasting steaks around.

🍻

Why kill deer if you don't like the taste? mtmuley
BFD Avatar
BFD

Jan 16, 2022 at 5:41pm
Post Options
mtmuley said:
meatbuck said:
That’s hard to read.

🍻

Obviously, I like the taste when it's burgered.
carsyn22 Avatar
carsyn22

Jan 16, 2022 at 8:49pm
meatbuck likes this
Post Options
meatbuck if I'm not mistaken the three biggest muscles in the hinds are inside outside and eye of rounds, those along with the backstraps and tenders are where I get cuts out of, I'm not knowledgeable enough nor a good enough cook to make use of the shoulder and neck other than ground, that said we tend to run out of ground before anything else. Duck I have never tried, lived in SK and MB all my life and Americans come up here all the time for waterfowl hunting but somehow I never got into it.
Bear I have tried and would like to try and shoot one this year if possible, mainly because deer season is a bad time to get off work so would like to supplement the freezer with a bear. we can shoot two per hunter each year.
mausermike Avatar
mausermike

Jan 16, 2022 at 8:57pm
carsyn22 likes this
Post Options
carsyn22 said:
meatbuck if I'm not mistaken the three biggest muscles in the hinds are inside outside and eye of rounds, those along with the backstraps and tenders are where I get cuts out of, I'm not knowledgeable enough nor a good enough cook to make use of the shoulder and neck other than ground, that said we tend to run out of ground before anything else. Duck I have never tried, lived in SK and MB all my life and Americans come up here all the time for waterfowl hunting but somehow I never got into it.
Bear I have tried and would like to try and shoot one this year if possible, mainly because deer season is a bad time to get off work so would like to supplement the freezer with a bear. we can shoot two per hunter each year.

Sirloin tip or the football roast as some call it, bottom round, top round and the eye which is pretty small but defined and a decent stand in for tenderloin.

carsyn22 Avatar
carsyn22

Jan 16, 2022 at 9:10pm
mausermike likes this
Post Options
I stand corrected, something in me thought I might be off a smidge. Thanks for clarifying that Mike!
meatbuck Avatar
meatbuck
Platinum Member

Jan 16, 2022 at 9:12pm
Post Options
carsyn22 said:

Try that roast recipe I put in the recipe thread. You’ll know exactly what to do with them from then on. Just had to “try” it again tonight.
Meateater does a (shoulder) blade roast similarly. Look that one up on YouTube.
We’ve recently started trying random recipes from the inter webs. It’s nice to add something different to the line up every now and again.
meatbuck Avatar
meatbuck
Platinum Member

Jan 16, 2022 at 9:25pm
gltaylor likes this
Post Options
mtmuley said:
meatbuck said:
That’s hard to read.

🍻

See a lot of places back East that take deer to help feed the hungry, some doe management but some just guys killing bucks and taking the heads and donating the meat. To me it’s whatever as long as someone gets to eat em.

Those states probably allow for the harvest of more deer than a guy could eat in a year anyhow.
BFD Avatar
BFD

Jan 16, 2022 at 9:36pm
Post Options
Grind some bacon in with that deer, mmmmmmmmmmm!
meatbuck Avatar
meatbuck
Platinum Member

Jan 16, 2022 at 10:13pm
Post Options
BFD said:
Grind some bacon in with that deer, mmmmmmmmmmm!

Looks like we’ve come full circle here.
nwhunter55 Avatar
nwhunter55

Jan 18, 2022 at 1:47pm
riceman, meatbuck, and 1 more like this
Post Options
When I used to cut all my own deer, I liked to make burger/sausage with 50/50 venison to pork sausage. Of course, all the tenderloins and backstraps ended up steaks as well as some of the shoulders and hams. Today I have them cut up and request 10% pork in the burger. I have them save the tenderloin and backstraps for steak and cube some of the shoulders for stew meat, cubed.

Back