YOUTH RIFLES

Gerald Dilgard

Hammer Time Executive member
Anyone else find them just handy as can be? We have a Rem 700 Youth with a 20 inch barrel. Light easy to carry and get on target quickly. Will it ever be a great target rifle? Hell No. But out to 200 yards or more that 243 is able to kill anything I put it into. I have a load with the 88SH and RL16 that shoots sub MOA and for our deer hunting in this part of the country it seems to be plenty good. I did replace the factory trigger and put a Vortex Crossfire 4.12 on it. But for our close range hunting it's a favorite. Also if a woman or a youth want to try it, they won't get knocked into the middle of next week. They are our future, treat them well.

Stay away from the Rossi youth models. Unless your shoulder likes the feeling of a cheap plastic bbgun that kicks like a 300wm.

I grew up with a m94 30-30 so the youth/compacts feel right to me. Most of the full-size ones feel too big and long, it’s partly my skeletal structure as well, my brothers are tall gangly bean poles and like the full size guns, I’m not particularly short but at 6’ I am the shortest of the bunch and also most square build, I always have to creep up the stock on a full-size.

I grew up with a m94 30-30 so the youth/compacts feel right to me. Most of the full-size ones feel too big and long, it’s partly my skeletal structure as well, my brothers are tall gangly bean poles and like the full size guns, I’m not particularly short but at 6’ I am the shortest of the bunch and also most square build, I always have to creep up the stock on a full-size.
The other advantage is when we have layers on. Hunting coats bunch up and suddenly you have a 16 inch lop. If you start out short the bunching up is no big deal. They are very handy in a tree stand or in a blind of any kind. An 80 gr HH or 83 Shock Hammer makes a perfect load in 243. Low recoil but kills like nobody's business. So many great loads for that caliber. Varget, 4064, 4350, Hunter, Staball 6.5, Superformance. They all get the job done without a lot of fuss or recoil. Having a good hunt is the name of the game. First time out if they get something they will keep coming back.

Back