125 HHT 6.5 PRC load development

OG-Danimal

Just wanted to start a post on my 125 HHT load work up so far.

To start at the beginning I have a 124 hammer hunter load worked up, but I ordered a sample pack of the 125 HHT to see how it compares. All things being equal I'd like to shoot the 125 HHT after some conversations with the guys from here, it seems like the HHT will fit the bill for me and my hunting style: western hunting, deer, black bear, antelope, out to 500 yards. And considering it for an elk hunt, but odds are I will take the 300wsm for that.

With that being said I worked up a ladder test today. The gun is a proof research MTR, 24” 7.5 twist barrel 6.5 PRC, 125 HHT, ADG brass, CCI 250 primers, N560 powder. Seated the bullets to my mag length of 2.923 with CBTO 2.507 and a factory crimp die.

57.0 3038
58.0 3065
59.0 3149
59.5 3197
60.0. 3247
60.5 3261
61.0 3262 slight powder crunch while seating
61.5 3285
62.0 3312

No pressure sighs but I think I will stop here due to a seemingly nice velocity node between 60.5-61.0. That and the fact I don’t want to crunch too much powder chasing 50ft/sec when 3260 will get me easily what I need out of the bullet.

The craziest thing is, that all 9 of those bullets, loaded with .5gr minimum powder spread went into a .75" hole…

I'm going to load up 61.9 gr charges and shoot some 5 shot groups next week. I'll keep this thread updated as I do.

Very impressed so far.

Cheers,

Attachments

• IMG_2132.jpeg
    IMG_2132.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_2130.jpeg
    IMG_2130.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 16
Just wanted to start a post on my 125 HHT load work up so far.

To start at the beginning I have a 124 hammer hunter load worked up, but I ordered a sample pack of the 125 HHT to see how it compares. All things being equal I'd like to shoot the 125 HHT after some conversations with the guys from here, it seems like the HHT will fit the bill for me and my hunting style: western hunting, deer, black bear, antelope, out to 500 yards. And considering it for an elk hunt, but odds are I will take the 300wsm for that.

With that being said I worked up a ladder test today. The gun is a proof research MTR, 24” 7.5 twist barrel 6.5 PRC, 125 HHT, ADG brass, CCI 250 primers, N560 powder. Seated the bullets to my mag length of 2.923 with CBTO 2.507 and a factory crimp die.

57.0 3038
58.0 3065
59.0 3149
59.5 3197
60.0. 3247
60.5 3261
61.0 3262 slight powder crunch while seating
61.5 3285
62.0 3312

No pressure sighs but I think I will stop here due to a seemingly nice velocity node between 60.5-61.0. That and the fact I don’t want to crunch too much powder chasing 50ft/sec when 3260 will get me easily what I need out of the bullet.

The craziest thing is, that all 9 of those bullets, loaded with .5gr minimum powder spread went into a .75" hole…

I'm going to load up 61.9 gr charges and shoot some 5 shot groups next week. I'll keep this thread updated as I do.

Very impressed so far.

Cheers,
Excellent! How much crimp on Lee FCD?

This is common, i often save time and zero my rifle on the pressure ladder so when i pick my final charge weight im ready to hunt.

As for compressing powder, vibrate the case before seating youll be surprised how much some powders will settle.

@OG-Danimal - nice shooting! Your data is in line with my 20" 6.5 PRC using N560. I settled on a load at 3150 fps which should equate to about 3250 with a 4" barrel difference. Question - is the CCI250 a magnum primer? You are able to seat yours a bit farther out than my mag allows, so my case mouth ends in the first PDR valley.

I've killed a bunch of deer sized critters with the 123 AH, and a handful with the 125 HHTs out of a creedmoor and PRC. I've been impressed by their terminal performance, and think you will be too!

Welcome to the hammertime forum!

PS - I too have a hard time figuring out exactly what "zero" is for the Lee FCD, so I struggle with how much crimp I'm imparting to the case mouth. I've settled on "a bit" being a reasonable amount. I have a really hard time measuring it down to the eighth of a turn.

@OG-Danimal - nice shooting! Your data is in line with my 20" 6.5 PRC using N560. I settled on a load at 3150 fps which should equate to about 3250 with a 4" barrel difference. Question - is the CCI250 a magnum primer? You are able to seat yours a bit farther out than my mag allows, so my case mouth ends in the first PDR valley.

I've killed a bunch of deer sized critters with the 123 AH, and a handful with the 125 HHTs out of a creedmoor and PRC. I've been impressed by their terminal performance, and think you will be too!

Welcome to the hammertime forum!

PS - I too have a hard time figuring out exactly what "zero" is for the Lee FCD, so I struggle with how much crimp I'm imparting to the case mouth. I've settled on "a bit" being a reasonable amount. I have a really hard time measuring it down to the eighth of a turn.
Thanks Steve. Yes the CCI 250 is a mag primer. I tried the work up with BR2s with my 124 hammer hunters, but I was able to get better ES with the magnums and no loss in performance with MV

IMG_2218.jpeg
5 shot group at 300 yards.
Horizontal was 2 1/4” vertical was 3/4”

Load was 60.3gr N560 at 2.300 CBTO
Velocities:

Not sure what’s up with the couple high velocity hits… I’m not convinced it’s not within the tolerances of my cheap-o chronograph. I’ll might slightly tweak the powder charge to 60.2gr and shoot a few more at 600 yards to see what the group looks like way out

Horizontal like that could be operator error, not a steady platform? Just asking, whenever I have groups like that at 300, it is usually me. I like to dry fire a bunch ahead of shooting and practice staying in the gun. What power scope are you using? Not being critical here just going by my limited experiance.

Last edited:
Horizontal like that could be operator error, not a steady platform? Just asking, whenever I have groups like that at 300, it is usually me. I like to dry fire a bunch ahead of shooting and practice staying in the gun. What power scope are you using? Not being critical here just going by my limited experiance.
Yeah I appreciate it. As steady as I can get. Prone on a bench off a bipod and rear bag. Shooting at 15x power on my scope

Some days I really fight that horizontal stuff and some days I can really tighten it up, I use same set up as you! 🤝👍🍺 One thing that helps me at 300 yards plus, a really small orange dot ( like 1” @ 300 yards ) that I can barely cover with cross hairs, I guess aim small miss small is true.

Gday OG danimal
On the above I’d personally reconsider not going any higher than the 62 gr load ( 63 to 63.5 would be my goal )

Not for velocity gain as I believe you are correct to your ranges a 3200 ish is going to be pretty darn cool
it’s just a precaution point as I like to know where pressures occur as you maybe a whisker away & not know it as some powders spike really quickly ( I know nothing about n560 powder ) but then add in potentially climatic conditions & I’ve seen extremely hard to open or even locked up bolts on once thought safe loads
( I’m extremely cautious of things that can bite / stomp you but also not fear them it’s fearing failure of the rifle I worry more about hope that makes sense )

So to help stop that powder crunching I don’t know if you used a drop tube or a electric toothbrush even a combination but it’s one I’d suggest & get that extra grain or so in & shoot it to check for pressure then your imo in a safer position ( powder stability aside again )

Just something to consider not saying a necessity

Cheers

Yeah I appreciate it. As steady as I can get. Prone on a bench off a bipod and rear bag. Shooting at 15x power on my scope
I'll get vertical stringing if I don't first have good contact with the stock in the shoulder, and then use the bag supporting secondary. Mix this up and the stock slips/dips ever so slightly with each shot. Also important to settle the fill in the rear bag before firing or this can lend to errors too.

Back