138 gr. 30 Cal. HHT

les

Hammer Time Executive member
Yes, Yes,! Finally! Thanks Steve and Brian! I was going to run some ballistic charts and went to look-up the numbers on a couple of pills and I saw the 138HHT listed! I have my order in, so now the rest of you guys can go ahead and order. Yes I am selfish! Merry Christmas to me!

I got my 138HHT's yesterday. That is one wicked hole in the front of the bullet before putting the tip on. I put next to the 137HH, and it does have a slightly different profile. It reminds me more of the 124 HH profile. I need to load some up tonight!

I loaded some up today for 308 and 30-06. TAC in 308 and hunter and varget in 30-06. COAL for 308 is 2.765" and 30-06 is 3.242".

My 308 Lee FCD leaves a very pronounced ring around the case mouth. These are both with 1/3T on the die, and it's the only caliber that leaves that ring. Anybody else seen that?

Attachments

• IMG_9605.jpg
    IMG_9605.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 66
I loaded some up today for 308 and 30-06. TAC in 308 and hunter and varget in 30-06. COAL for 308 is 2.765" and 30-06 is 3.242".

My 308 Lee FCD leaves a very pronounced ring around the case mouth. These are both with 1/3T on the die, and it's the only caliber that leaves that ring. Anybody else seen that?
Both my 280 and 308 do it. 280 is pronounced!

Retrieved the 138gr out of the mailbox this morning....boy....that's a big mouth without the tip! I wonder if it would be safe in my 30-30 absent the tip?

1701883333867.png

Some of mine do, and some make the crimp look smoother, without the ring. It seems to me that if I seat closer to the top of the band groove it reduces the ring. I think it's because it's allowing a longer section of the neck to be bent down, which spreads out the force, if that makes sense. I noticed that because when seating heavy recoiling rounds, I'd prefer to have the crimp up against the upper portion of the groove, to provide resistance from the bullets being seated deeper due to recoil.
In DiscoSteve's picture, it shows the crimp being fairly low in the band groove, or at least a bit below the middle.

Some of mine do, and some make the crimp look smoother, without the ring. It seems to me that if I seat closer to the top of the band groove it reduces the ring. I think it's because it's allowing a longer section of the neck to be bent down, which spreads out the force, if that makes sense. I noticed that because when seating heavy recoiling rounds, I'd prefer to have the crimp up against the upper portion of the groove, to provide resistance from the bullets being seated deeper due to recoil.
In DiscoSteve's picture, it shows the crimp being fairly low in the band groove, or at least a bit below the middle.
Maybe I'll try seating them a smidge deeper so the end of the case mouth can bend more gently over the PDR ridge. @ButterBean had a picture of a cracked case mouth showing his preferred position for crimping, and it was with the bullet a little deeper than my picture above.

Due to the increased space between grooves I seated the bullet deeper and ended up at 1/2 turn with great results on 168 hht I. 300 win mag. And yes, the crimp did look slightly different.

Attachments

• C49DB975-EC07-48E5-9C1A-FCB33519B830.png
    C49DB975-EC07-48E5-9C1A-FCB33519B830.png
    3.9 MB · Views: 43
Retrieved the 138gr out of the mailbox this morning....boy....that's a big mouth without the tip! I wonder if it would be safe in my 30-30 absent the tip?

View attachment 4442

Gday choprzul
I’d be a little cautious of that & check up with Steve

To me I wouldn’t but what I would do ( still check with Steve ) is take a grinder or belt sander set up a jig & grind that tip to a flat meplat a only a couple thou above the pills meplat rim

Have shot these flat type of tips & better preformance than no tip

Cheers

The Lever Hammers have thicker walls all the way to the edge of the hollow point. They are slower to open. I tinkered with them and chamferred the edges of the HP to make them faster to open. In doing so, the bubble formed much sooner.
When I started, the bullet would penetrate 4-5" into the body cavity before shedding petals and forming the bubble, (and this was at high velocity). The bullet passed through most of the first lobe of the lungs initially, and began to upset about the heart. After chamferring, the bullet opened in the first lobe and shredded the heart and second lobe. It's amazing how such a little change can make a huge difference. Jmtcw

If I recall the Lever line has a 3mm HP, these are 2mm.
Doesn't answer the question, just talking differences.

You know how I like my flat meplats, and big HP's

Gday Carl
those differences in a bit more detail ( just muppet measurements lol ) still don’t know if work or not by flattening the tip & I’d ask Steve

FF8A04AF-BA23-4D30-BBF7-37169D00CD5B.jpeg

Thought I’d add the 375 for your scrutiny on how that fits in with your likes 😜
Cheers

Back