168hht longway around for a load in my rum

Farleg

Hammer Time Executive member
Gday
Well I’ve finally got back to my reloading bench today with riceman giving me the drive I needed to get back to that smell of burning powder I love

So I looked @ my books where I was on pressure with the 163hht & 166hh as both pills can be interchanged
Then studied a reloading manual
& I’ve basically got most down pat within 2 to 3 shots I’ve got a load done

But I just haven’t used enough of these hht so back to somewhat basics
First load no pressure & im 3314 so heaps to go & up 3 gr which yielded 3448 no pressures so up another 2 3518 & no pressure so another 2 3588 & the ever so slight swipe so I’m one who needs to know pressure so another grain &3615 with swipe so I went another gr to see how much I’ve got left & pop goes a primer @3640 good now I know my level to drop back for a safe tropical load ( temp test would confirm before rifle goes tropical)
That’s rem brass so backed off that 1 gr & shot Bertrum brass 3610 but no pressure whatsoever so I was good for my thoughts of where I would load & that was 1/2 gr less than the ever so slight swipe load & don’t matter what brass I grab all safe

But on chatting to riceman retumbo came up & got to know right 😜

First shot on that after I looked up manual on 99% case capacity 3415 so I was done on retumbo as no way I’ll use a compressed case

Looked @h1000&4831sc but that’s as far as I went as was sick of the bullets I’d wasted lol
So loaded 3 up of the h4350 loads to see how my old girl preformed
2E3A669C-6966-4B0A-833D-95515494EDAC.jpeg

but really good for me to get trigger time as I get rusty when I don’t shoot much

A nice sub 40 mm group @200 & I wasn’t real crash hot on the last one as the bit of drizzle went to rain 🤬& it’s minute of turbo to nearly 400 so I’m done with this load in a rifle that’s clapped out & the group while should be adjusted to the left I won’t bother as it will make no real difference for 400 & in especially a deer
C006AB16-3C05-4E51-8A0B-75FF66377ACA.jpeg

So Im happy with how this load turned out for this old girl & considering I’ve not changed the zero from the 120 to the 168 ( 12 different pills & still perfectly adequate to 400 )

GL I’m sorry I won’t give loads out on this rifle as it’s one that dosent pressure up as quickly as a lot of other rums & im sure I’d get around 3700 with the Bertrum brass or adg ( they hold about the same pressure &150 more on average than the rem stuff )
But really I don’t think I need it for my shooting these days
But my usual 1/2 crimp delivered the goods with hammers again

So all in a total of 11 shots & im ready to launch a turbo tomorrow 🤞

Cheers

I continue to be a little baffled as I reload for the 300 RUM. I have found good loads using H4350. It seems too fast for the cartridge. When I shot cup and core it was Retumbo all the way. I am trying to settle on the pill I want for my RUM. Like you Farleg, I just need to get out and send some loads downrange. I also don't like compressed loads.

No worries. Your barrel is so slick your data probably wouldn't match anybody's barrel anyway!
Not even close... Rusty has the exact same rifle as Farleg, minus 7000 rounds down the barrel. Farlegs suggested starting loads for the first prototype were one grain shy of where we finished up at😯 The good news is, we took his Barrel condition in consideration before we started and had no issues.

We also weren't able to reach his velocities🐌

I continue to be a little baffled as I reload for the 300 RUM. I have found good loads using H4350. It seems too fast for the cartridge. When I shot cup and core it was Retumbo all the way. I am trying to settle on the pill I want for my RUM. Like you Farleg, I just need to get out and send some loads downrange. I also don't like compressed loads.

Gday Les on powders it’s one that I think is showing us we need to clear our heads & look @ all the potential powders not what we were bought up with & while some of those powders will suit some needs others are going to search the what ifs & that’s where your @ with your pill decision im guessing 🤷‍♂️

I shot a critter this morning with the 168 around 3300 impact & let’s just say pop

I’m also a little undecided on what way to go in relationship for the 300 rum & I may eat my words but I’m going to go with it hasn’t been made yet 🤣

Cbjr made me sit back a little on his comments re the difference between the 137hh vrs the 168hht
Move to my ranges & critters I’ll likely hunt with this rifle I’m definitely thinking the pill I want isn’t made yet but I await the day it does 😇🤞

Cheers

Farleg, you are being evasive, miss leading and possible using subterfuge as some of the opposite sex do to us simple minded males, 😳😳😳😳😳😉😉😂😂 up your game and be more specific on bullet preferred for the 300 RUM. I have this vision that you may be “ gronk or Tonk “ off Crocodile Dunde🤔😳😉🍺🍺🍺👍🇺🇸

Farleg, you are being evasive, miss leading and possible using subterfuge as some of the opposite sex do to us simple minded males, 😳😳😳😳😳😉😉😂😂 up your game and be more specific on bullet preferred for the 300 RUM. I have this vision that you may be “ gronk or Tonk “ off Crocodile Dunde🤔😳😉🍺🍺🍺👍🇺🇸

Gday reemtyj
Come on man I was trying to eat my lunch & read this

near chocked here
trying to swallow while burst out laughing dosent go together really well 🤣🤣

I love your humour that’s a classic 👍

Really I’ve had enough crow to eat as I’m getting sick of the taste so I thought I’d try the evasion taste for a while 🤔🤪😜

Cheers 🍻

We are hoping to extract from ( Donk ) that vast experiance/ knowledge from thousands of kills on a specific bullet for the 300 RUM, after reading your lengthy and interesting dissertations ( once I get them translated to English ) I was taken by the premature/ notion the 154 HHT was THE bullet behind the 137HH and now you go feminine on me and jump to a new partner 🤔😳😳😉 are you on the sales team for Stevie or what am I missing?

Looking back, I think it was I about 4 months ago that claimed the 154s winner winner chicken dinner. I'm pretty sure Farleg hasn't done a complete fur Factor test on those pills and if I know him, when he's got all his data, he'll post it for all of us. Hopefully they'll be an interpreter around😳

I'll still state that I think the 137 Hammer Hunter is the finest 30 caliber bullet made for inside 500 yd for deer size animals.

💥🚀🔨☠️

We are hoping to extract from ( Donk ) that vast experiance/ knowledge from thousands of kills on a specific bullet for the 300 RUM, after reading your lengthy and interesting dissertations ( once I get them translated to English ) I was taken by the premature/ notion the 154 HHT was THE bullet behind the 137HH and now you go feminine on me and jump to a new partner 🤔😳😳😉 are you on the sales team for Stevie or what am I missing?

Gday Donk here 😜or actually some of my mates call me coight as in russel coight so if you haven’t seen him I’d ask you look him up as it is a better indicator of what a d-ck I am 🤪

Now I don’t know if it’s my interpretation or not but I can take that post of yours I quoted above a couple of ways hence my response in the following
So
my serious comes on for these things as I find it’s better to be upfront on these or potentially it might go pear shape & some that read only might get the wrong impression on pill preformance or of what my agenda is

& please note I don’t edit a lot & the very few I do I’ll state why I did & reason is I don’t want anyone telling me I hide things or I’ve said that as then I can go back & see where I have not relayed the correct information which might be from a misinterpretation or misinformation once again from me I try to be as a open book as I can

eg to be clear on the old forum I was wrong to assume on the original 137hh on initial results & until I saw the bad in that pill I thought it was good which it was for a few angles on deer size critters that I’d tested & only once I learnt from gathering more data I changed my stance , yes I did the fundamental mistake & that was to assume!!!! Yes I’d fell into a trap I’d done years ago , totally pi$$ed @ myself as that was a basic flaw / weakness ( part of the triangle )

Moving forward to the next part
Once that was found it was discovered not to the standard I believed hammers were or capable of off other ones I’d used & yet the impression from some were it would be elk sufficient ,& myself somewhat initially
So I ate crow on my wrong , relayed the correct information to the other members & went to work with the great minds here , then put my money where my mouth was ordered 500 bullets to test @ my expense to see if that theory held water or not & hey presto out of that theory the 137hh that everyone have today was born & yes I told Steve multiple times bs or his pill was $hit yes we had very entertaining discussions 🤣 but it was totally my fault for
A/ getting peoples thoughts in the wrong area
B/ not doing a thorough examination of the parameters I’d found over the years of where pills fail or less than ideal results
C/ yes I failed myself

So moving onto now

I’m still not sold on the 168 yet ( also 154 ) as initial results are 1 critter & it popped well with about a 10 foot spray of lung material meat in behind this critter 6 foot sideways & riceman called asked as he wanted to know my thoughts & it was “well it’s cool & popped “ 🤣as I’d sent a video through earlier
I’m just trying to gather my loads for future tests 🤞I have not worked up the 154 full tilt but it will & I’ll post velocity not loads on that but I’ve shot more critters with it just not enough or any real good data yet but yes I’ve got some but I’m not doing that old 137hh again to anyone

Ricemans words were how does it compare ( 168 )to the 163hht ( first ) & my response I can’t tell yet because wrong critter as I’ve not shot enough of those critters to understand/see how they act comparison wise to any pill , then the today’s 137hh also came up same response

So let’s get into the cats meow

The 154 over the 168 still makes more sense on paper in my world as speed is one that is very hard to place a figure on & why that 137hh is such a good pill for me because I can run it over 4 k but chose to slow down on requests from a few members & others on lrh wanted the real low stuff as that data is what really helps the big picture & the 168 I’ve left it around 150 fps short of what I can do as it won’t make Jack difference & also some will potentially get that or @least close ( I will also do various velocity impacts across the spectrum)

A bit of background
I had 3 main calibers 22lr 224 centrefire & 30 cal & only in 3 rifles @ one time but various chamberings over many years

So those are what I base my information mainly on & it’s not really any different to the way I do it here now with the exception of if I wanted to know say what a amax vrs Berger did I would head out for the day culling & start smacking critter after critter & then autopsy as many as possible but the ones I learnt to concentrate on were not the bangflops it was the run ones or 2 or 3 bullet in one critter ones as those were the ones where a pill potentially gave less than ideal results , sometimes it did sometimes not .
Eventually you build a understanding of what works on what angles & what resistance & what impact & hence where we are with hammers today with a couple of exceptions

Now I don’t have access to those numbers I once did ( was taking around 300-500 on average biggame animals a year when I first joined up but nothing compared to data I’ve gained in those previous years ) so I’m picky today on the shots that show the bad traits occurring more often to work a pills strengths & weaknesses out
Plus
recently my body shut down & only just been able to get back behind the trigger & first time 30 cal for I don’t know how long & still reserved on my new barrelled 375 rum I’ve not shot let alone my Jeffery as scares the $hit out of me on how my body would take it
Plus
I pulled the pin on working out why ( try to ) that 6.5 118 hht is doing & what it’s doing compared to the 125hht & that believe me was a huge step for me to admit defeat on 🥲
not being able to get done what I said I would do ( if I could get to understand & with help of others as not all my work ) as I pride myself on my work & knowledge on why things happen & on fixing , I’ve got theories so need to test to confirm was my motto then hard factual evidence is way less to give us a bad outcome

So I feel I’ve let some down here as I do believe that 118hht can be improved so I reluctantly accept that now & what little I can do from here on out I’m refining my list of what to do now , if this is your interpretation that I’ve dropped the 154 for the 168 I’d say not to think that way please as on all the calibers 30 cal is my baby as I know that backwards & love it so much on reference to so many bullet brands & sizes it’s a fairly good library imo & one I see the quickest out of all so know I’ve not dropped it just shelved but how long I can’t say just like the 168 but my loads will be already done when that day comes hence riceman nudges of support for me to start loading things up & it was great to get back on that bike

Now this is not taking away from any of the other calibers I now have but I’m going to be extremely selective on what I choose & the data I collect from here out will be only a small proportion of what I use to do even to the start of hammers I just can’t get the numbers as my body has said enough is enough

I hope that explains what im trying to do & I’ve not left you high & dry on the 154 I just haven’t been able to pull the trigger on the 30 cal & even that group prone shooting hurt bad ( all others we’re standing shots with chrony on full size tripod
so I’ve had thoughts coming from gl on how I might Persue other options & another fine gentleman sent me his subscription on what he found worked for him as a way of trying to help ( which it has & now paid my membership so I don’t use his ) & the thoughts is all I care about & why this place means so much to me & my response is way calmer than what I give on lrh but they don’t last long over there as I get in trouble & usually they end up deleted but I speak from my heart either place & it’s my mouth gets me in trouble lol but my factual evidence is sound imo of course

Im overall fairly private on my health & family life but this place here im slightly @ ease letting bits out ( not whole lot as I don’t want sympathy I just would like a little understanding im trying my best & my bullet recommendations are one I feel very comfortable in giving once my data is gained as I usually cover heap of bases before I give them out but on pills I’ve not shot I rely on others as their data is so valuable & everyone pooling the data you’ll eventually get what I get anyway just take a bit longer
Then move to
my thoughts which are just like everyone else thoughts sometimes good sometimes off but overall it’s not being wrong that matters it’s saying ok I got that wrong let’s learn from it & look what we are seeing now so many people sharing the good bad & ugly & by doing this we as a group of individuals understand which is better suited to one’s needs or potentially @ a minimum lesson the chance of a bad outcome occurring

& the 154 is no different I have only theories on it @ present although the few critters I’ve shot it looks promising

As for on Steve’s payroll no im not he did offer to employ me once but I declined as I don’t believe that would give a independent view as if employed it’s not good to tell the boss his pills are $hit & believe me I’ve told him many times now & I just don’t tell I show the greatest examples are the 137hh & the subtle differences a small depth of hp showed a huge difference in terminal preformance
Now tips the hammer boys sent me a new variety as they are still pushing to improve again & man on paper & gel tests they preformed well , yep those looked good one especially had huge promise
But that tip I saw it early on yet had no conclusive evidence just very subtle indications & relayed that information to them & I was in a predicament as they were getting low on tip stocks & needed to know what way had the best potential but I knew that something wasn’t right & held off giving my thoughts yep & told them I needed to keep testing & hey presto it reared it’s ugly head but worse than I every could have thought yes that was terrible & replication proved this again & since I’ve given these to a mate I’m trying to mentor so he can hopefully get the data I saw , initially big critters yep he’s got that it failed there also but the small critters he’s just throwing his arms in the air yes I need to spend time with him but the one that is showing the most promise is a young girl

Now I don’t recieve a cent for this but did get those pills for free but all my primers powder are mine & i don’t want anything from anyone as my payment is in knowing that guys like you will never see that $hit tip hit the market so that’s my payment right there & the list goes on

I do what I do for the love & knowing it may help someone not get a bad result that’s it
( Oh & I’ve made great friends here & have so many on my bucket list to meet oneday & gladly add you as I hold no grudges )

It’s not only hammers I’ve done this for

I’m sorry if that’s a abrasive response but it’s to show I am trying the best I can it’s also kinda justifying yep I get it can be read that way also but not my intention
& I don’t know how else to tackle your response above but it also one that I could be misinterpreted the tone I read it in as txt is so hard for me to read or write as I really suck @ that & if you would like I’d be more than happy to call i like talking better as it makes flow & converation better imo

Now if you would rather do it via here message away as I will not take a backward stance on what I do or know & this I hope doesn’t come across as cocky it’s I’ll back my words up with facts the best way I can & that’s data & being respectful with a response not go quite hence my reply now
But I’ll also say I’m wrong if I am & apologise if that’s required & in advance if I’m reading to much into this

Sorry for long winded post
I’m cool got it off my chest & look forward to your response & hopefully the interpreter is out of bed now lol or probably need a headache tablet after sifting through that 😜🤣
Cheers

Donk, D_ck, Coight ( yes I did googled him, very, very interesting ) or more fondly known as Mr. Farleg!! You never disappoint and in a very long winded but loved “ boomerang “ way you completely cover a topic, I find you quite interesting, knowledgeable and extremely entertaining, I hope your lady feels the same 😳😳😉. Your experiences with bullet autopsies are vast and most of us pale in comparison. I would like to personally thank you for your reports/ recommendations, I will move forward on the 154 HHT as well as the 137HH.
In life there are but two choices, you like/accept people and gives them loads of BS or you disapprove of them and choose to ignore them, with you I choose the former as I feel GOD makes certain people that are unreplicable or as some would say “ one of a kind “ and you sir appear to give me that impression. Thank you for all you do and I hope your health gets better, so well in fact that you become an extreme nuisance to your “ probably “ much younger Lady 🧘🏼‍♀️I still have to question your sleeping habits as you type at all hours it seems! G-day sir 👍🤝🍺🇺🇸💪

Farleg - You are a gem! Now you have me questioning my choice of the 118HHT in the 6.5 Creedmoor. I'm still going to try to fill my whitetail doe tag with it. I've been working up loads with the 154HHT. Unfortunately for many of us, we have to theorize and then go out and hunt with our precious few tags, and in some ways "Hope for the Best." Like you, I am primarily a 30 cal. guy. I am still convinced that a mono copper pill of around 140 grains is just about ideal for the 30 cal. You almost have me convinced that I just ought to stick with the revised 137gr. HH that really weighs 138 grains.

A big thanks for your hard work. Yes, it is work that you are doing. I know how long it takes to reload, record, and compare pills. You have me convinced to get my butt out after bird season and thin the coyotes in my bird hunting area. It will give a three fold benefit - More birds, less song-dogs, and some personal research on the Hammers.

Last but not least, I am amazed as you try to make these bullets fail. I will continue to work hard on getting the best shot possible. There is a new generation of hunters that think that just getting a bullet in an animal is enough. Over my years of hunting, I am sure I have passed up well over 500 shots because I was not comfortable with the animal's presentation. Several times, I have been able to work my way around (I think that is called hunting!), and get a really good shot. My last elk in Oregon was an example of this. I spotted him at slightly over 500 yards away. A really long shot with a 45/70. I checked the wind, worked my way around (about an hour), and intercepted him on the trail. He responded to a cow call, and it was a bang-flop at 35 yards. In today's world most hunters would be using at least a bi-pod, have there fingers working the turrets on their scope, and squeeze one off at long range. I won't comment, but just share my only experience of a "long range" hunt. I was with a friend who had it all set-up. He has a 7mm RUM. He has a tripod mount. He is running a big scope, maxed out at 30 power. He has an expensive rangefinder. He practiced out to 800 yards a lot. I went along to help. We came over a ridge and spotted a herd of elk at (ranged) 728 yards. Jay set up, ranged the nice bull in the herd at 746 yards. He set his dope. He squeezed off the shot. I was spotting with my binos, and down she went. Yes "Down She Went." The cow in front of the bull took the fatal shot. There were no wind flags in the valley between us and the elk. The bullet drift in the almost 30+ wind blowing down the valley was not accounted for. It is relatively easy to account for elevation. It is difficult to account for wind-drift. He shot an illegal elk. He is a law enforcement officer! He turned himself in and paid the fine. He lost his tag, his meat, and his desire to hunt with a rifle anymore.

So Farleg - Thanks for all your work, but a reminder it doesn't mean you should take crappy shots at game animals.

Back