2023 Archery Season

My blind is set up. Tomorrow I pack and head up for the opening day of Antelope bow season on Tuesday the 15th. My last two hunts I held out for a trophy buck and didn't take a shot. I'm longing for some good antelope meat and it is my wife's favorite game meat. So, I might just follow the old rule, "Don't pass up an animal on the first day that you are willing to shoot on the last day." Several years I held out for a buck and I shot one in the last hour of the last day of the season!
Good luck shoot straight and stay cool we have a couple hot days coming here in PNW.. yes love me some Antelope😀

Here is my contribution so far...

Saturday - August 12.

Twas a good day. Pretty worn out after only getting out of the hospital on the 8th.

My wife and 8-year-old daughter came out with me today.

My wife found 2 little bucks right away as they were heading into another canyon. We continued to spot as the morning progressed, not finding any more bucks by 730.

We then went into the canyon we saw the small bucks go into and had a 4 point go across the road in front of us as we were driving to where we thought might see the other deer. No opportunity at that one.

I parked the Toyota a few minutes later and immediately spotted the two bucks (plus one more which showed up) up and feeding. We watched them over the next 3o minutes, until they finally bedded down hard above a small rock pile.

I was going to give it a go, not worried about the trophy, but I needed to just get out and truly hunt after the way this year has been.

I left my wife with the spotter at 0830. At 1030, I topped out and could see the one long rock pile the "red" deer walked along before bedding down.

I guessed I was within 200 yards of the deer at this point. I had no cover other than some rocks and elevation to my favor.

I kept picking it apart, I could see where the deer would have bedded. I had a huge open basin in front of me...

No deer. I was finally to the last rock pile before the one they bedded above, and could see where they bedded, but no deer.

I drew and peaked over the rock - no deer.

I glassed - at last than 50 yards - no deer. I scanned again, scanned back to the spot where the deer bedded, and the red one was standing broadside.

I let one fly. I was guessing 25 with the angle, I was off. The crack of the arrow hitting the rock was like a gunshot.

Hope the photos make sense as I have to add them from my phone.

They were bedded just above and to the left of the rock pile in the middle of the spotting scope.
My arrow.
The shot with my bow at my feet shows a little white stick in the scree slide. That stick is where he was standing.
The last couple are where these guys bedded.

My wife watched the shot from the truck. 2.5 hours of sitting behind a spotter, knowing where the deer bedded (she actually watched the red deer bed down), and she never did see the deer again until they stood up before my shot.

Word of advice for those who have not hunted archery mule deer a lot. If you are certain the deer are, trust it. They likely are. Even the young bucks will hold and hold and hold.
Happens to me just about every year. Absolutely amazing how tight they will hold in brush that doesn't seem like it could hide a squirrel.

We were back home by 2, lol.

I am beat. My body is beat. But I needed this hunt with my family. This is the best day I have had in quite a while. I feel certainly blessed that I was able to do this.

P.S. I almost turned this tag in. On July 28th, I got a call and had to check myself into the U of U Hospital for 10 days for treatment for my kidney transplant. I printed out the return form for my wife to drop off on her way home that Tuesday.
As we were walking out the door, I threw the paper in the trash and pinned the tag back on the cork board. I have turned two tags in before due to medical. I was hunting this one.

I'm back home from round one of antelope hunting. It just got too hot. Three days in a blind getting above 110 degrees wiped me out. I saw at least 150 antelope and a lot of moron hunters! I had at least 20 goats between 75 and a 100 yards. However the area we hunt is a big triangle .
I saw the same white pick-up and green suburban circle the area at least 14 times a day. My hunting partner had 3 good herds that were working toward him bust by idiots that thought they could spot and stalk in stubble 2 inches tall. Idiots were putting the animals on full alert all of the time.

I had a great time and that is what it is about. I only had one come into range and it was a nice buck. It was at 45 yards, but at a severe angle. I was hoping he would move closer and he had to move more to the left. He moved more to the left and gave me a presentation. But I didn't take the shot. Why? Wait for it! Wait for it! Joe, am I pissing you off yet? The presentation was the Texas Heart Shot! I would have taken it with a rifle, but not a bow. My new friend Brad did get a nice Buck.

I'll go up again next weekend.

Update for archery for myself

Friday after work was supposed to go with my son out and sit in our stands.
His plans were changed with child care duties.
So slipped all my gear on and went for a half mile hike out to my tree.
Climbed up in the tree and by 6 a few doe and fawns filtering around here and there. Shut off for a hour or so, then a few more.
A doe very small fawn and a little velvet 1×2 in toe walked down a trail nearby.
Little buck split off from doe and fawn that wondered directly under my feet.
As they move off slightly she whipped her head to the side and was watching a forky that was looking intently at her. She turned her head and moved away. He wanted a closer look..
Came down the trail pretty quick and I grunted at him just as he hopped a small ditch.
He paused trying to figure out what that noise was, his mistake.
At 12yrds slightly quartering away sent one and hit him well.
He ran 65 yrds straight line away. Pretty easy to follow the blood and parts.
Not big on the horns but body was great shape and probably as fat as I've seen this early.
154lbs on the hoof.
California valley blacktail.

Attachments

• 20230825_194558.jpg
    20230825_194558.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 13
  • 20230825_193514.jpg
    20230825_193514.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 12
  • 20230827_095818.jpg
    20230827_095818.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 13
Good opening day up at 4 to bed at 11 back up at 4 I am wasted right now!! Long story short we seen 4 branch bulls.
We made a play on a screamer bull about 2:30 in a **** hole area! Long story short he played for about 3 hours but he’s not a fighter yet we went in circles for an hour him trying to get our wind, Buck my son in law is insane could barely keep up with him we finally saw him 20 yards thick brush but he never presented a shot!! Oh man the two of them screaming at each other at such close distance was incredible.The little I saw of him he is a big smart mature bull.. back after him today hope I survive🤣

Update!! a great weekend of Elk hunting with a bow doesn’t always end with a punched tag!! Day two was as exciting as day one just not as hard on my body!
Two big bull encounters at close range! I get the shakes when it’s close with a bow..what a rush!! To sum it up what an awesome weekend of chasing elk with string and stick..😍 today got messed up with people wrecking our plans but 2 outa 3 Ain’t bad..✌️

Weekend update!! Well not as good as opening weekend.. They are not talking good and just maybe the bulls we are targeting know our calls by now 🤷‍♂️ we get one to torch off and he shuts up and we can’t locate again.
These Bulls are out smarting us! So last night we get him to let one out with some cow calls, we think we have him some what located as we’re walking back to the truck to move closer we hear loud crashing limbs breaking and a weird sound like a calf elk or deer in distress right below us, we move down road fast trying to keep up with it, I’m thinking I’ve heard this once before from a spike elk right before I shot him so I start running knowing it’s going to cross this lower road we parked next to. Once I get on it I slow down and listen i hear brush breaking and it’s coming.. like a flash a rag horn crosses in front of me with out an opportunity!! Of course we finally get over to where we think he is at and not a sound from him🤷‍♂️

So Sunday starts off interesting! almost to our hunting spot and there’s a porcupine in the middle of road butt facing us. Looks like he is killing something but what? Buck throws rocks at it and it finally runs off, lo and behold it killed another porcupine and had it by the jugular who would have thought they were so vicious not me! so we drive around it park and start our hunt and about 20 minutes later we hear what sounded like coyotes fighting 🤷‍♂️ nope it was a coyote that came across that porcupine in the road and got a mouth full of quills🤣 🤣 he was running barking so loud I bet you could have heard him in the next county!! Yes he screwed our morning hunt up bad!!

BULL DOWN!! Tough weekend on the body but nothing better than elk quarters on the back and the bed of a pickup!

Weekend starts off with Buck bugling a bull up 20 minutes before shooting light, we go in early because he sounds like he is far enough off we need to cover some ground to get in place. Not so much we have an elk come in close and broadside to Bucks calls it’s just to dark to tell if a legal bull or cow.

Game on for Buck the Bulls are talking and responding to him he bugles a lot trying to find the one that will play his game and he his relentless, needless to say he had one of the bulls at full draw but no shot. We chased around for 3 hours and no kill but fun when you’re 20 to 30 yards and you can’t see them.

Day two we drive in a different way 45 minutes before daylight to try and locate some talking bulls in a couple different areas, we stop close to general area as the day before and bingo we got a talker we more than 3 hour’s in and out busting them having I think the bull Buck gets in the end at less than 20 with no shot.
We move again and we’re back in them only because there is no give up in Buck! We follow I can’t keep up with Buck and the elk and my Achilles are hurting bad and I’m to slow for their game!! Buck keeps on him he is a talker which fuels Buck and there is no stop in him!! So he goes and I just listen to them scream at each other.
Finally I get a text (Shot him) and then I found him, I get ahold of my son who couldn’t hunt this year with us but he lives about 20 minutes from where the bull is down. He gets to us pretty quick and the work begins pack boards on back and we make it to Buck and the fun begins.

Go in lite come out heavy 🍻🤣IMG_4770.jpegIMG_4773.jpegIMG_1386.jpegIMG_1391.jpeg

Thanks! Sometimes it’s the journey and experiences not the trophy 🍻
Way to go 2Tone! Looks like you are on the Oregon or Northern California Coast. The trophy is in the freezer - you can't eat horns. By the way, one of our nurses comes from LaGrande, Oregon every week. She was telling me that the crazies in Oregon have gone the next step (check out the gun law they passed last year), and are putting an initiative on the ballot that will effectively end all hunting.

Way to go 2Tone! Looks like you are on the Oregon or Northern California Coast. The trophy is in the freezer - you can't eat horns. By the way, one of our nurses comes from LaGrande, Oregon every week. She was telling me that the crazies in Oregon have gone the next step (check out the gun law they passed last year), and are putting an initiative on the ballot that will effectively end all hunting.
Thanks, NW Oregon just west of freak town! Funny you bring up that crazy gun law passed last Nov, it’s finally going to trial in Harney county today after the judge there temporarily blocked measure 114 back in December.

My first archery elk was a Roosevelt shot northeast of Coos Bay. I live in Idaho, but spent most of my life in Oregon. Most of my family still lives in Oregon. Such a great hunting state going to rot.

Back