221 Fireball

Modoc

Hammer Time Executive member
Has anyone delved into loading the 221 Fireball or the 222 Remington with hammers? I have both a Contender and Remington 700 Classic in 221 with a 1:14 twist and a Sako in 222 with a 1:14 also.

The Remington really likes 40g Hornady V-Max and Nosler BTs On top of 21.7g of H335 (3/8” groups). The Sako is a 1” rifle using Sierra 52g Match Kings.

I’m looking for some lead free for use on whistle pigs (marmots) and coyotes, and considering the 35g and 44g Hamer Hunters after having great success in developing a load for the 6.5 Grendel.

I have noticed that there are some holes in the data and am looking for recommendations.

Thanks All

Ah, the 44gr HH. I suspect that they'll be perfectly stable from a 1:14" twist due to calculators always assuming BT spritzer profile which is harder to stabilize than flat base. Let me know how things go. If CZ would have had a 223 Remington bolt available when I was looking years ago, I would likely have rebarreled my CZ527 hornet into a 221FB with a takeoff barrel from Calhoon's instead of rechambering to K hornet.

Ah, the 44gr HH. I suspect that they'll be perfectly stable from a 1:14" twist due to calculators always assuming BT spritzer profile which is harder to stabilize than flat base. Let me know how things go. If CZ would have had a 223 Remington bolt available when I was looking years ago, I would likely have rebarreled my CZ527 hornet into a 221FB with a takeoff barrel from Calhoon's instead of rechambering to K hornet.
I will be curious to see the results since my 700 Classic shoots 40g V-Max and Nosler Balistic tips into 3/8”-1/2” groups at 100 yards.

Well, I picked up a pound of CFE-BLK today for the fireball since Hodgodon doesn’t recommend H335 for anything under 40g.
The plus side is that their load data gives a max velocity of 3600+ fps.

Hopefully I will be able to shoot a speed/pressure ladder on Saturday after the Cowboy Action Match. Unfortunately we are looking at a temperature of 110* F (43.33* C) with a Severe Heat Warning from the National Weather Service.

Well, I picked up a pound of CFE-BLK today for the fireball since Hodgodon doesn’t recommend H335 for anything under 40g.
The plus side is that their load data gives a max velocity of 3600+ fps.

Hopefully I will be able to shoot a speed/pressure ladder on Saturday after the Cowboy Action Match. Unfortunately we are looking at a temperature of 110* F (43.33* C) with a Severe Heat Warning from the National Weather Service.
Definitely keep me posted. 3600fps+ is nothin to scoff at for a bullet like that.its gonna be another week before I get out to finalize my load(s) with the 68gr HHT, but I'll have loads for 5 different powders in the 223 for the load data thread.

Definitely keep me posted. 3600fps+ is nothin to scoff at for a bullet like that.its gonna be another week before I get out to finalize my load(s) with the 68gr HHT, but I'll have loads for 5 different powders in the 223 for the load data thread.
I’ll try H335, and hoping to do Lil’Gun, but pay day is the 3rd.
H335 with C&C bullets gives0,375” (3/8”) groups in this rifle with 40g bullets.

You can be first! And share your data!

I was the first to use the Blackout 101 grain on deer. But I used them in a .308 Win. I shot a typical size blacktail buck from about 45 -50 yards. The velocity was about 3,400 fps.

That thing probably thought it was in a war and got hit with a handgrenade because most of the ribs on the impact side were broken!

I guess that makes me the first person to use Hammer bullets incorrectly.

Well, I finally ignored my other things to be done and started doing ladders for the Fireball. 35g HH and 44g HH both got doses of Hodgdon’s Lil Gun along with the 36g VG from the “B” company. The recomended charge window from Hodgdon is 14-16 grains! This pound of powder may go a looong way if it proves to be accurate. Tomorrow I’ll load up some CFE Blk and maybe H335.

As a teaser, here is a photo of the three bullets next to a loaded case with a 1.782” COAL/1.535” CTBO. IMG_5317.jpeg

The cases are TINY! I’m thinking the 35g will be choice, but the targets will tell.
You are probably right about the 35's in your little mini-cartridge.
I'm glad you are finally getting around to playing with it.
I'll be playing with the 44's in my Swift this weekend as well.
Keep us posted Modoc.

Back