25 PRC powder research

andron

Hammer Time Executive member
Hey all,
Looking at the very limited data out there Retumbo, or N565 seem to be the popular choices in the 133 to 135 cup & core categories.
How much faster of a powder do you all think would be a good option for the 127 HHT? Would N550 be too fast? And how does one calculate a start point for such?
One guy suggested using 140 gr. 6.5 PRC data as a reference, starting low and working up. As the case body and shoulder volume is nearly identical it kind of made sense, but why use the 140 grain bullet as a reference?
Just trying to educate myself on the process.

Thanks for any help,
Andy

I think your retumbo, H1000, N565, Win HD are all going to be to slow for that cartridge and HH's. I would look at your 4350's, Ramshot Hunter, Win 6.5, etc.

Same problem some had had with a 6.5 prc. The standard load data for cup and core suggest slower / magnum powders. You just don't get the velocities with HH's in those powders.

What grain bullet do you want to push in the 25 PRC?

I think your retumbo, H1000, N565, Win HD are all going to be to slow for that cartridge and HH's. I would look at your 4350's, Ramshot Hunter, Win 6.5, etc.

Same problem some had had with a 6.5 prc. The standard load data for cup and core suggest slower / magnum powders. You just don't get the velocities with HH's in those powders.

What grain bullet do you want to push in the 25 PRC?

jrebel,

The 127 HHT is the bullet that I sent off in a dummy round to have the reamer built on, so starting there. If that doesn’t pan out the 125 HH and down the list.
What my Old brain is twitching away on is start loads with the faster burn rates, where to start? 6.5 PRC hammer data and back off how much?

I think you are on the right track. I would look at a couple different loads for the 6.5 PRC and base my starting point off that. Maybe the 6.5 prc with 125 gr HHT....should be a few people that are playing with that combo. Start low and work up safely.

This might help.

20240226_182831.jpg

I agree with Jrebel, the powders for the heavies aren't going to produce the velocities you're after. The 4350 burn rate would be a great place to start.

I'll go back into my hole

Back