264 HHT Zoomie Test

Richcotte

Hammer Time Executive member
Well, I stopped in the shop a few weeks ago and Steve showed me the .264 80 HHT and was telling me about some guys pushing the limits of believable in Creedmoors, so I jumped on the bandwagon and grabbed a pack of 50 to see what I can find.

First platform up in the mix is an 8-twist, 18" barreled Ruger M77 Hawkeye. I grabbed my Nosler book and started with Varget, then threw in a set of H4350 just to see what the difference would be starting both at 38 grains and working up from there. Well, -400 fps difference between the first two sets of 38 & 39 made me decide to not waste the pills and powder on the H4350. So, here's the results for the Varget. I did run some velocities with the 118 & 125 with H4350, but that data will have to wait for later.

Recipe - Converted LC 11 Brass, WLR primer, 2.648 OAL

Chrony set at 10 feet

Varget H4350
38gr - 2934 2540
39gr - 3057 2592
40gr - 3132
41gr - Error
42gr - 3235
43gr - Error
44gr - 3387
45gr - 3453

Pressure signs on this rifle are hard to read as the extractor claw starts presenting a mark on the casing very early on. So, looking at primers and bolt lift only, I haven't found any signs on this mix yet.

So, guess it'll wait a few weeks to see what else I learn in other rifles with the same load before I decide to move beyond the 45gr mark.

Anybody else testing the 80HHT in a Beanmore? I only see one post in the load sheets using BL-C(2).

Hey Rich,

Not the same bullet, but I got up to 46.5gr Varget in mine with the 85 HH without any pressure signs, and 3610 fps. The powder was half way up the case neck, though. I settled on 43gr as it was the most accurate, at 3360 fps or so. This is with a Tikka 24" and new Lapua brass. For a faster powder, I used TAC for my 97 AH load, which pushes it at 3380, but I prefer the temp stable Varget, as my TAC load gets a sticky bolt when it's warm out.

Shooting a 26" barreled Browning, 6.5 Cred, I worked my way up to 47.0 Varget with the 85HH and got 3,700 fps. The little bullet was loaded .213" off the rifling. Even at 47.0 grains I did not see signs of pressure on the Lapua case or the CCI 450 primer. The load was surprisingly accurate.

Shooting a 26" barreled Browning, 6.5 Cred, I worked my way up to 47.0 Varget with the 85HH and got 3,700 fps. The little bullet was loaded .213" off the rifling. Even at 47.0 grains I did not see signs of pressure on the Lapua case or the CCI 450 primer. The load was surprisingly accurate.
Interesting that you got 47 grains. I need to try some commercial brass. All I’ve ever run in my Creedmoors is converted Lake City brass, so a slightly smaller internal volume.

CharlieNY,
Have you posted your rifle/load data on the Share your Hammer Load thread?

No I haven't. It seems like it's over the top in most other rifles, based on what I hear anyway. The rifle has been rebarreled with a 24" (shorter) Bartlein bbl. I'll be testing some 125HHTs eventually. At the moment, I'm running the 125HHTs in a new 6.5 PRC Bartlein rifle. 125HHT needs more development time in the new bbl. Still looking for the magic combo. I'm also moving away from RE26 even though it shot rather small groups with Hammer bullets. It's hard on throats and is impossible to replace when I run out. Trying to work with RE23 and H1000 right now.

Last edited:
Back