270 Weatherby Mag load data

OK I will start a ladder for the 122's I have and collect the data. You are on point with my thought process. I just have to accept on faith that the lighter bullets kill as effectively.
I like to think of it like this: a 100 gr bullet with 60% weight retention has a 60 grain shaft penetrating AFTER the devastation caused by the expansion and shedding of the nose. While I would never shoot +/-60 grain solids as a hunting bullet, many kills have been made with nothing more than that.

I'm thinking you'll run outta case capacity with that one.

Never know 'til ya try though!

VV lists 76.9gr as a max load with 130's

Get your drop tube ready!

I saw you have some N160 as well, with 122's, I'd go with that over the 560 - just my opinion.

270 weatherby VV.jpg

Hand skills I started my ladder with 69.6 grs N560 and finish with 73 grs no problem. If I do not run into pressure I will load until a first compressed load. I actually preferred slightly compressed loads if no pressure appears to be a problem. I remember reading a long time ago that compressed loads have a more consistent ignition with a resulting more consistent performance.

Hand skills I started my ladder with 69.6 grs N560 and finish with 73 grs no problem. If I do not run into pressure I will load until a first compressed load. I actually preferred slightly compressed loads if no pressure appears to be a problem. I remember reading a long time ago that compressed loads have a more consistent ignition with a resulting more consistent performance.
This is why reloaders have so much fun! Many prefer ~90% fill!😂 Some feel compressed loads affect burn rate of extruded powders. 😂 The one clear advice that is stated by Hammer bullets is faster powders will provide the extra zoom and prob better case fill. Lots of good info as stickies in Reloading.

Just to recall a bit of early hammer history and ease some fears, one of the first elk taken with hammers was the 117hh from a 270wsm at 540 yards if my memory serves.

Back