270 win. 110 gr. hammer hunter loads

still huntin

howdy ya'll, I just bought a new bergara b-14 hunter rifle in 270 win. and am starting off with the 110gr. hh bullet for deer. Haven't seen much in the way of load data on the spread sheet for this bullet and am wondering if there is anyone out there that has found a good load. found a load on barnes site that used ramshot hunter at around 3500fps for max load and I have 4 lbs of that powder. I like the 85hh in my 6.5 cm so figured Id go 110 with the 270 win for starters.

H4831 always did the trick for my 270 Win with 130g bullets. I sold it before Hammers were even a thought.
I'm guessing one of those powders will work for you. Check out the Hammer Hunter Load Data if they get the attachment back up. That should give you some starting points. Best of luck

thanks guys! I have 4 lbs of hunter from when I used it with the 6.5 cm and 117sh, I would be happy with those velocities too RC or even close to that.

I recently fired 5 rounds with the bergara to get it on paper, 2 rounds 58gr. hunter, and 3 rounds 59 gr. 110h. the 58gr. load was showing flat primer to some extent, and the 59gr load was a hair more flattened, cci200 primers. no other signs of pressure and they ejected nicely. I also checked the casings in my lyman cartridge checker gauge and they all inserted all the way in flush. havent hooked up the chrono yet but I believe I would back down to 57.5 for next try. still doing things with this new gun like adding a cheek rest etc. gonna get the comparator out to see if the brass shoulder moved any, couldnt have been much. the last 2 rounds were stacked real close together at 100, up till then I was adjusting the scope every shot.

saw hunter powder in cabelas a week ago for 31.95, lol I have 2 pounds that were made in canada and the last 2 pounds I bought were made in belgium, those will sit for a while, I wonder is there gonna be any difference. ya know belgium makes some good stuff.

Looking forward to your completed data. Suggestion:
Mix all 4 lbs in a clean bucket, stir well, then put them back in their containers. Label and date each jug as "lot 1, 5/9/23" or whatever. Now you'll have 4 lbs of same "lot". You can re-verify your old load, then go forward for quite a while til you use up this "lot" of the same powder.

saw hunter powder in cabelas a week ago for 31.95, lol I have 2 pounds that were made in canada and the last 2 pounds I bought were made in belgium, those will sit for a while, I wonder is there gonna be any difference. ya know belgium makes some good stuff.
Hunter has been widely available for some time now. Kept running into it while looking for rl16 so I eventually bought 2 lbs to try with the light weight .277 pills.

If the new ones would drop already I’ll be able to make a decision on those or the 90g to try first. Likely try them both if the new weight is in the 117g range or lighter. This will be in 270wsm.

@still huntin sorry for late response, somehow missed this one. Might be too little too late, but FWIW I did fool around with the 110HH in my 270 win (23" barrel 10 twst). Shot a ladder with W760 started 55g worked my way up to 61g. 3.230" COL, Peterson 0x brass, 1/4 turn crimp w/ Lee FCD. Here's the velo from my rig:

55g: 3322
56g: 3344
57g: 3406
58g: 3429
59g: 3450
60g: 3506
61g: 3546

61g looked like the winner but never dialed this one in completely. As always, start low these numbers could be unique to my rig.

Good luck, I think this one looks like a winner for the standard 10twst 270win.

Seems like (based on Barnes published data for 110gr) H100V, RL 16, or Hunter would be good choices for 110HH in 270 Win. Any other suggestions?

I tried 57gr. of hunter with the 110hh and got a 1" 100 yd 3 shot group out of my bergara hunter rifle, didnt chrono it. putting the gun in a new stock now.

Back