28 Nosler

Mountainman

Hammer Time Executive member
My 2nd favorite rifle ever. Blueprinted Remington 700, trigger tech special, 26" 3B contour 8 twist Bartlein, little bastard brake and Stocky's long range composite stock (sorry Farleg......I'm still gonna post you some wood stocks). Action, barrel and rings are done in burned bronze cerakote. Topped it with a 6-24 Athlon Midas Tac. I really love their APLR4 reticle and the sun shade is a must when trying to snipe aoudad off the hillsides. I shot the best group of my life with this rifle. .036" at 200 yards. I used to have a board full of little 100 yard targets I had cut out, I took them all down and now this is the only one there. Now the rifle don't shoot like that all the time, or maybe it does but I certainly can't. When you shoot as much as I do accidents happen, kinda like getting a robin hood with a bow. Nobody gets one on purpose. Just happens this day the planets were in perfect alignment, I probably didn't have any coffee and certainly didn't forget to take my shakey drugs :) To sum up my long winded wandering the rifle shoots good, it's very comfortable to shoot, it's a comfortable weight and to date every critter I've shot at fell down.

Regards

28 Nosler.jpg28 group.jpg

Robin Hoods were done ON demand by my son-in-law in 20 yard meets. He has one with a Robin Hood and third arrow broke the nock on one side of his secondarror.. I saw him knock the nock off another arrow at fifty arrow.

He hit a coyote in the shoulder from 89 yards.

Ah, that would be my 30-06. I might be somewhat biased as I think I have 9 of them :). I posted a picture of this one on the Sneak Preview post. Farleg was having withdrawal symptoms and needed to see something with a wood stock.

Mountainman I knew we were kindred spirits! My favorite rifle is my Ackley Improved 30/06. It has history and lots of critters harvested. I worked part-time in graduate school for an old gunsmith who apprenticed under P.O. Ackley himself! He did the action and barrel. It is trued Remington 700 left hand and Douglas Barrel. I'm still upset he talked me out of the left-hand Brazilian Mauser action he had. I didn't have the money for both. I have been a woodworker for a long time, so I made my own stock from Stripped Myrtlewood. Here is some wood for Farleg!Myrtle1.jpgMyrtle2.jpg

Mountainman I knew we were kindred spirits! My favorite rifle is my Ackley Improved 30/06. It has history and lots of critters harvested. I worked part-time in graduate school for an old gunsmith who apprenticed under P.O. Ackley himself! He did the action and barrel. It is trued Remington 700 left hand and Douglas Barrel. I'm still upset he talked me out of the left-hand Brazilian Mauser action he had. I didn't have the money for both. I have been a woodworker for a long time, so I made my own stock from Stripped Myrtlewood. Here is some wood for Farleg!

That is some nice work les. (y)(y):love:

Ah, that would be my 30-06. I might be somewhat biased as I think I have 9 of them :). I posted a picture of this one on the Sneak Preview post. Farleg was having withdrawal symptoms and needed to see something with a wood stock.
I am in between little rain showers this morning. The showers are not enough to add much moisture to the ground but enough to get me wet.

You obviously love the 30-06. I do not have a favorite caliber. I look at them all as having pros and cons. So when someone has a favorite, I'm curious why. If you have the time and desire to explain why you love the 06 so much, I'd love to hear about it. Especially from a guy that's obviously made and shot a ton of different cartridges. Also a list of top 5 cartridges if you have one.

Thanks
kneedeep

Oh my, well first off after 117 years the 30-06 can still surprise you. I built that one in the picture a few years ago because I really wanted to see what it could do with modern powder and bullets. That particular rifle is a blueprinted 700, H-S bottom metal, trigger tech, GRS stock (which I absolutely love), m-brace rings, Athlon Ares 4.5-30 x 56 and a Krieger 26" 10 twist heavy palma barrel that I bought on sale.

It shoots to 1000 effortlessly and I have introduced several people to that range with this rifle. I have shot it to 1400 and while I have others that of course do that more readily there's something about pulling if off with that old cartridge that makes me grin. I considered building an Ackley version but then that's not really comparing apples to apples. This one does have a German Salazar designed Serengeti chamber and that will likely be my choice from now on as it does everything well. I have 4 different loads I shoot in this rifle depending on what I'm doin. Hunting loads with 124 Hammer Hunters and 151 Absolute Hammers. Target loads (200 grain bergers at a lethargic 2500 fps that all go in the same hole at 100......just for showing off). 215 grain hybrids for long range that are traveling at 2840 fps. This rifle shoots way above it's pay grade.

The 30-06 doesn't excel and any one thing. There are a plethora of specific cartridges that will out perform it hands down in any one given area. It is however like that old favorite pickup truck at the ranch. It doesn't do any one thing great..........but it does everything well. When I was growing up we had three firearms close to the door, a pre-64 30-06 featherweight, a 22 long rifle and a 12 gauge shotgun. I maintain that tradition to this day.

5 favorite cartridges? Oh hell

1: 30-06 obviously
2: 375 Holland and Holland.
3: 284 Winchester
4: 458 Lott (it's nothing but fun to shoot)
5: Whatever I've built recently. Gonna get to evaluate a 7 PRC in a few weeks once I get all the parts

Writing this down I realize I have a lot of old cartridges in there, I could have stuck the 6.5x55 in there quite easily too. Also 5 is hard to do as we're blessed with so many excellent cartridges these days.

Easily half of my 30-06 rifles are military rifles. I got a wild hair a few years ago and started building WW2 military sniper rifle replicas. I have a LOT of fun with them and have killed a few deer with my Springfields. It's fun seeing the look on peoples faces when I pull them out of the case. :)

You boys talking about the old -06 reminds me of my first rifle. A Savage model 110 I guess; because it was 1962. It had a Leupold 3-9X40. I used it to shoot jackrabbits in San Diego county. At that time, I was sleeping in the garage of my parent's home because I wanted to leave, and they didn't want me to. It was a compromise. Anyway, I decided I wanted a door bell at the people door I installed in the back. I figured a .30-06 was the correct tool to drill a hole through the 2X4 door jam. Then I got to thinking I needed a back stop so I leaned an 8X8 against the wall outside where the exit would happen.

After I fired the military round, I went outside to admire my work. To my chagrin the 8X8 was knocked over. A quick examination showed a very bad thing: An exit! I looked in the direction of where the exit happened. What do I see? My buddy's 1956 Ford with the huge "moon" hubcaps and huge "moon eye" decal. Upon closer inspection I find a slightly modified front fender. Yep. The bullet went through it. Not only that, the bullet split in two. Half went into the wheel well on the far side, the other half went out the opened hood and through the six feet tall redwood fence behind it.

The upshot was, I gave such a powerful rifle to my friend from the fourth grade who had moved to Washington. You know, where elk live.

@Mountainman

Thanks for taking time to type that up. Nostalgia and “do everything“ are certainty at the top of most people’s list when talking about their love for the 30-06.

That is an interesting top 5. Especially with the 284 squeezed between those two big guys.

That’s great velocity with the 215 Berger. That load could definitely make the 30-06 a do all rifle/cartridge. I really like the 215 out of my 300 win mag, but I gotta switch bullets as I’m tired of all the blood shot meat. See if there’s a prototype to replace the 215.

Back