30-06 137 HH load ladder

nomad

Some of you might remember in a previous thread. I was asking advice on what bullet to use for my 24 inch Encore barrel for big Northern Maine Whitetails. I had a lot of great advice and opinions. In my final post I said I decided on the 151 AH. Well leave it up to me I changed my mind and went with the 137 HH. I just finished loading my first ladder starting at 53g and ending at 58 grains of varget. Now all I need is time to shoot! 🙂 I will be curious to see if I pressure out at 58, or if I will still have room to move up
That 137 HH dresses up the old girl pretty good. 😉

Attachments

• 20240315_210358.jpg
    20240315_210358.jpg
    691 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
137 and Varget are a great combo in the '06. Looking forward to your results! Do you have access to a chronograph?

Happy shooting!
Yes I do have a chronograph. From what I have seen with load data on the Hammer website I am hoping to get close to 3,300 fps. I am amazed how modern components have made the almost 120 year old 30-06 into a modern day Laser. Now that's a whole lot of fun! 😁

Can't wait to see your results.
I am very curious myself. One day if I ever had the funds and opportunity I would love to test this combo out on an African Plains Game hunt. I am betting it would be extremely effective even on the largest antelope including Kudu, and I would even guess Eland at reasonable ranges.Maybe I should set my sights a little lower and start with an elk hunt first. 😀'

Holy Smokes that looks sexy and will be a ton of fun. 137HH is a lethal pill.
I bet you are running 100% case capacity usage on that bad boy too, with that long neck to hold the 137HH.
If Varget isn't giving a fill to take advantage of this capacity I would think some slightly slower extruded powders would get there, if not closer. Maybe even the 4350 series.

Girls girls, it's an army bullet, IMR4895.......

🤣🤣🤣

I'm thinking I could put a lot of n540 in there. Just saying
Yassir, I almost said N540, but it’s a Varget equivalent. IMR4895 has been unobtainable for me for over a year now. That would be a humdinger powder. Slower than Varget by a bit. Great velocity.

540 would be my pick.. I could barely hit 3100 with 4350 and mag primer’s, found some 540 at local store and pushed me close to 3300 with LR and room to go faster. 🚀🚀
The load data on the Hammer website shows 3300fps as a top end for Varget. I have some H 4350 but that seems to be better with a little heavier bullet 150's, 160's. It will ne interesting to see where I end up.

Holy Smokes that looks sexy and will be a ton of fun. 137HH is a lethal pill.
I bet you are running 100% case capacity usage on that bad boy too, with that long neck to hold the 137HH.
If Varget isn't giving a fill to take advantage of this capacity I would think some slightly slower extruded powders would get there, if not closer. Maybe even the 4350 series.

The base of the bullet is just to the bottom of the neck so I have plenty of room to load that case right up. I will just need to keep an eye on my pressure.

Some of you might remember in a previous thread. I was asking advice on what bullet to use for my 24 inch Encore barrel for big Northern Maine Whitetails. I had a lot of great advice and opinions. In my final post I said I decided on the 151 AH. Well leave it up to me I changed my mind and went with the 137 HH. I just finished loading my first ladder starting at 53g and ending at 58 grains of varget. Now all I need is time to shoot! 🙂 I will be curious to see if I pressure out at 58, or if I will still have room to move up
You should get to 3300 around 57 gns with your 24"
@56gns in a 22" browning abolt @3.310
I was 3215 no pressure at that point.
Rs hunter @66c gns was 3226.
H4350 @59.5 gns was only 3072.

Stop it guys! Every time I think I have my go to load figured out I follow a thread and have to try something different and it just cost me more money and time at the bench🤣🤣 I swear this crowd works off commissions😂 glad I have some varget laying around🍻

Yassir, I almost said N540, but it’s a Varget equivalent. IMR4895 has been unobtainable for me for over a year now. That would be a humdinger powder. Slower than Varget by a bit. Great velocity.
IMR4895 is slower than Varget?

I pressured out at 57 gr of varget with the 138 HHT out of my 21" 30-06 at 3200 fps. I bet the 137 HH will get close to 3300 with a 24" barrel.

What was your COAL with the 137?

And just FYI, I got 3200 with the 151AH using IMR4895, but that was a warm load. Looking back through my notes, it appears that I never loaded the 137 HH with IMR4895. That was foolish of me, I should probably rectify that.....

Back