300 blackout........thoughts?

jrebel

Hammer Time Executive member
If the information exists.....I can't find it, so looking for folks thoughts.

Rifle: Bolt action Ruger Ranch 300 blackout 16" barrel 1:7 twist. I will be shooting it suppressed.
Bullet: 100 grain Shock Hammer
Primer: Rem 7 1/2

Now for my question....which powder. I have:
1. CFE Black: Like the speeds, but the it will be a compressed load regardless so I feel I will max out on powder before I max out my speeds. Pressures with CFE black is extremely low compared to all the other powders (maxed compressed load shows lower pressure than starting loads of others)
2. Lil Gun: Shows the best velocities. Lil Gun has a bad reputation for being to hot and eroding throats and ruining barrels. I do use it in a few pistols, but I don't shoot those pistols enough to worry about it.
3. W296 or H110: Could be good options....They are in between CFE black and Lil Gun as far as burn rate.

So...anyone tried any of these powders with 300 blackout? Worst case scenario...I will run a ladder on all three.

Not what you’re looking for, as I only shoot subs through the blackout.
But I have loaded a bunch for the 300 HAM’R.
I would try option 2 or 3 due to the compression issues with option 1 that you mentioned.
Since we’re all about spending other people’s money here, Shooter’s World SBR SOCOM (have used in HAM’R with great results w/ 101BO and 103PH) and N110 (not used yet, but is on the shelf begging to be tried) might also be viable options.

OK....this will be ongoing as I continue to work this problem. At the end of my journey with this rifle / caliber, I will combine all my data to share. Until then, I will post along the way to keep my notes straight.

Today...2/8/24

Brass: Starline
Primer: Rem7.5
Crimp: 3/8th crimp

CFE Black ladder test for pressure. As expected, I didn't hit pressure and the velocities were very anemic.
-Hodgdon's site listed: starting 22.5 c (2168fps) Max 23.7 (2303fps)......based on 110 gr bullet
My findings with CFE Black
- 21 grains (two shots): 1981, 1965
- 22 grains (two shots): 2024, 2008
- 23 grains (two shots): 2118, 2125 No pressure on any and case was full to the brim. All three loads are compressed.

Win296 ladder test for pressure. Better than expected results
- Hodgdon's site listed: Starting 18.4 (2191fps) Max 19.4 (2286fps).....based on 110gr bullet
- 18 grains (two shots): 2349, 2374
- 19 grains (two shots): 2411, 2415
- 20 grains (two shots): 2527, 2517 Compressed
- 21 grains (two shots): 2606, 2616 Compressed
- 22 grains (two shots): 2713, 2727 No pressure and case is full. Compressed

Accuracy appears it will end up around 1 MOA ish. I know it's too early to tell, but quite a few of the two shots were right at 1". These were shot w/out the suppressor, I wanted to make sure the bullet was stable before attaching the suppressor to make sure there were no baffle strikes.

OK....this will be ongoing as I continue to work this problem. At the end of my journey with this rifle / caliber, I will combine all my data to share. Until then, I will post along the way to keep my notes straight.

Today...2/8/24

Brass: Starline
Primer: Rem7.5
Crimp: 3/8th crimp

CFE Black ladder test for pressure. As expected, I didn't hit pressure and the velocities were very anemic.
-Hodgdon's site listed: starting 22.5 c (2168fps) Max 23.7 (2303fps)......based on 110 gr bullet
My findings with CFE Black
- 21 grains (two shots): 1981, 1965
- 22 grains (two shots): 2024, 2008
- 23 grains (two shots): 2118, 2125 No pressure on any and case was full to the brim. All three loads are compressed.

Win296 ladder test for pressure. Better than expected results
- Hodgdon's site listed: Starting 18.4 (2191fps) Max 19.4 (2286fps).....based on 110gr bullet
- 18 grains (two shots): 2349, 2374
- 19 grains (two shots): 2411, 2415
- 20 grains (two shots): 2527, 2517 Compressed
- 21 grains (two shots): 2606, 2616 Compressed
- 22 grains (two shots): 2713, 2727 No pressure and case is full. Compressed

Accuracy appears it will end up around 1 MOA ish. I know it's too early to tell, but quite a few of the two shots were right at 1". These were shot w/out the suppressor, I wanted to make sure the bullet was stable before attaching the suppressor to make sure there were no baffle strikes.

I have a dumb question. Why not the 101gr Shock Hammer that we designed for the blackout? Thats great vel with the win296!

I have a dumber response....I don't know.... 🤣 🤣 🤣

My purpose of this specific rifle is tree stand hunting sub 100 yard shots on deer, bear, elk and predators. Mostly deer and bear as the seasons overlap. I thought the shock hammer would give better terminal performance on bear, as apposed to the 101 SH that is recommended for small to medium sized game. I'm not opposed to the 101 SH and that may be the way I go based on the performance / accuracy of the SH.

All the above being said.....I'm all ears!! There is not a lot of data on 300 blackout to this point so I am just playing around at this point. 2700 FPS exceeded all my expectations with velocity. If I can get it to group well, It should kill with authority within 150 yards.

We designed the 101 to max the case capacity and still be able to open at low vel impacts. I think it is perfect for the blackout. I know guys used it for other applications and found it to have weakness above 4000 fps impacts. It does exactly what it should when shot in the cartridge that we designed it for.

We designed the 101 to max the case capacity and still be able to open at low vel impacts. I think it is perfect for the blackout. I know guys used it for other applications and found it to have weakness above 4000 fps impacts. It does exactly what it should when shot in the cartridge that we designed it for.
You twisted my arm.....will be ordering 100 tonight. I will update this thread with results of both bullets.

2700 fps w/ W296? Wow! Thanks for sharing, @jrebel!
If memory serves, W296 = H110. I’ll have to try that in the HAM’R soon. Wonder if @OutdoorEdventure tried that powder with the 101BO in the HAM’R?

Only have the 90HH for the 7mm. Should I also ge the 101HH?

Looking forward to more of your results.

If memory serves, W296 = H110. I’ll have to try that in the HAM’R soon. Wonder if @OutdoorEdventure tried that powder with the 101BO in the HAM’R?

Yes win296 and H110 are identical for all practical purposes.

Never tried the 90HH but the 101HH In my 7-08 is amazing. Crazy accurate and 3150 fps out of a 20inch barrel is awesome.

I did not. It would not get to desired velocities before pressuring out.
Heading to STx with build next week.

I currently have H110 as I use it for loading my 454 Casull. Is H110 identical in case fill too? Trying to see if I should get Win296 for my Blk.

I have a dumb question. Why not the 101gr Shock Hammer that we designed for the blackout? Thats great vel with the win296!
Steve is spot on! I don't have a 300 Blackout, but I do shoot the 101 bullet that was designed for the Blackout. It is one sweet bullet. It got me into the 5,000 fps club with my 300RUM. A few months ago, I literally blew up 3 jackrabbits with in in my 308. My guess is you would gain even more velocity with the 101 and I am pretty sure it has a better BC.

Don't know if I have a good answer for that one. I guess I just kinda figured that guys shooting the BO would be pulling the trigger kinda fast and wouldn't need smaller qty. LOL!
If it works as good as it should…..you will need to offer in larger quantities!! Like boxes of 500-1000!!! Now I’m excited to run them and see what they will do.

I kind of had the same question. What I came up with: I ordered the 101's intending to make a more effective 7.62x39 "HUNTING ROUND", by keeping terminal velocity within parameters.

The Blackout I think of as a subsonic endeavor, and other choices might be better.

I don't know, so many Hammers have been introduced since then others may have their reasons.

Back