.300 win mag AR

Snox801

Hammer Time Executive member
So I picked up a .300 win mag Ar style rifle. So after the first 100 rounds for break in I was disappointed. Thing was all over the map. But I knew handloads would be better. After trying everything I could as far as charge weight it still only did 1.5 Moa. I figured well it was the right price so fine. Then the manufacturer even offered to swap the barrel. Huh I thought.

But as a last ditch I made a huge seating depth change. Initial 100 yard group looks promising. Now off to 300 yards to test.
H4350 and 163gr hht.
First one is as good as I could get it at factory OAl Next one is way way past book oal.

But should work. Hopefully it shoot as well at 300.

Attachments

• IMG_4750.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_4747.jpeg
    4.5 MB · Views: 21
Oh boy, so cool! I guess if she don't shoot Hammers, she ain't gonna shoot nuffin good! :LOL:

Is this a Nemo or Great Lakes, or other?

Great Lakes. They are about 10 min from my house. They are very good for and finish. Much better than you would think for the cost. I don’t know them personally but they seem to be very good people. Anytime I have an issue or think I do they offer to just fix it. No other questions. I got a .243 from them and it’s very nice first load try I had .75” and called it good.

I’m not sure where it fits in my rotation because I’m never gonna reach for it for a costly hunt where I know I may shoot farther than 500-600 and I have better for that. If the land down under wasn’t a bunch of feminine dorks and allowed semi auto it would be perfect for camel and water buffalo culling

So I ran these out to 300 yards. Shot then use chamber chiller, for 5 min in 30 degree temps. Shoot again. It is better than it was but still opened up to slightly over Moa. Not sure where to go from here but maybe need to take them up on a new barrel. Ugh then the whole break in again. Dang it. But I can probably be close on the load work I’ve done already.

Reactions: BFD
So I ran these out to 300 yards. Shot then use chamber chiller, for 5 min in 30 degree temps. Shoot again. It is better than it was but still opened up to slightly over Moa. Not sure where to go from here but maybe need to take them up on a new barrel. Ugh then the whole break in again. Dang it. But I can probably be close on the load work I’ve done already.
Are you getting 3:00-4:00 O’clock ejection with brass thrown 5-8ft? I’ve found building and tuning my gas systems and hand loads that if the gas system isn’t in tune it effects precision.

Are you getting 3:00-4:00 O’clock ejection with brass thrown 5-8ft? I’ve found building and tuning my gas systems and hand loads that if the gas system isn’t in tune it effects precision.
So yes and no. Sometimes it tosses it 2oclock but yesterday all of them went to 3-4 pm. I may play with gas a bit. Also gonna looses my crimp. But after this run I’ve burnt a whole box of hammers. May just take them up on replacing the barrel and start over. That was the first thing they offered to replace with a very quick chat. So they may indeed know barrel are the weak link in the product

Yessir. I have nothing but SWAG here since I'e never dabled with the 300WM AR platform, just thinking maybe some aspects might universally apply. I'm with your gut feeling on them offering up a new barrel very readily. They prolly know more than we on their own platforms! :cool:

Well I’m thinking I may just take one more stab at it with dropping to the 154hht to
Make sure it’s not twist. Barrel is stamped 1-10 but we know how that goes. I’d like to not have to deal with a new barrel as I got this one broke in and had my titanium slab brake timed to it. It’s just so all over the place. I load my last 6 163hht tonight and seating just a bit deeper and used a very mild 1/4 crimp instead of 3/4.

Then trying the 154. If that doesn’t work it’s getting a barrel. Beside I have no doubt the barrels are cheap for what they charge for these things. It is to bad cause the rest of the rifle is very nice quality.

Back