300WM Peterson Long Review

BFD

Hammer Time Executive member
Muddy was right. This stuff is great. Here’s why I think this:

The long & short of it!
Out of the box the brass comes 12 thou longer than typical 300WM brass. After firing today I measured only a .003” stretch of the shoulder. This is typically 18 thou on brass shot to date. For what I do, this means no changing powder charge weight after a fireforming!
Reg brass:
IMG_2443.jpeg
Pete Long:
IMG_2440.jpeg

Peterson brass has less case capacity by about 2gr H2O measurement. Knowing this, I reduced my known charges in 4x fired brass by 1.5-2gr to start load development.

The out the gate testing results were promising. Shooting 215 Bergers here (Don’t hate 🤣 it’s just for 1000-1500yd steel ringing) Did a bullet jump test and tried a half grain heavier charge:
IMG_2577.jpeg

Surprisingly the deepest seated bullet of 3.850 with .030 jump, and longest seated bullet 3.880 (At the lands) showed .0005 larger primer pockets than .860 & .870. Oh boy that 78.5gr load! 2SD of sample size 4 rounds is nothing really, but for this test, it’s a stark indicator things going right there. Next batch 78.5gr @ 3.870!

Analysis of the primer pocket sizes, fired shoulder length, and web growth above belt, I did not find any over pressure signs. I did, however, see some belling of the primers after decapped. In reference to the “Reading Pressure Signs” sticky that flaring at the top of primer is a pressure sign.

This didn’t make sense to me. I have belled/flared primers, but no other”bad” pressure signs. Got me to examine the brass a little deeper.
IMG_2580.jpeg
The primers sit under the case head, but proud and unsupported at the top. These were seated with regard to depth in the pocket. So, I think this is why I’m getting a false read here on pressure considering the primer flare of over pressure rounds.

Ambient temp was 8F with -10 windchill. I kept the rounds about 100F in pockets of my bibs and single fed each round as to maximize retained powder heat. Bench was frozen over and the ski feet of the bipod were actually ski feet today! 🤣

Gday Brad
Nice trigger work

Come on man Don’t try & hide behind the banging steel with the bergers as I know you were actually doing a media test that gives us pretty close to actual critter resistance results 🤔😜🤪

Carry on great write up
Cheers

Forgot to add in this observation and maybe some explanation on stretch differences of various 300WM. There’s a noticeable difference in the belt & extractor groove dimensions between PPU and Peterson: (Pete on left)
IMG_2451.jpeg
IMG_2452.jpeg
I'm thinking the PPU allowed more stretch of the case since the belt sits, probably .004-.006", lower on the case than Peterson. ???

That’s some great shooting. I would like to find some Petersen brass for my 300 Win Mag. I won’t knock you for shooting the 215. That’s the only bullet my gun has shot until this year when I switched to the 168 HHT.

That’s some great shooting. I would like to find some Petersen brass for my 300 Win Mag. I won’t knock you for shooting the 215. That’s the only bullet my gun has shot until this year when I switched to the 168 HHT.
Thanks. The muzzle break was blasting snow all over me each shot because I was too much a muppet to brush it off before shooting. LOL
The 215 Hybrid was a bucket list bullet to try since I read all about it, but couldn't get a hold of some for over 3yrs. Been shooting the 208 ELDM and 200.20X Bergers. (137HH & 154HHT for serious work, ;))

Just noticeable difference in recoil between the Hammers and the Bergers. Hadn't shot 200gr class bullets for a while as I was playing with Hammers mostly. First shot I had to check the brass to make sure it wasn't a kaboom round! :ROFLMAO:

N570 - This powder...the kernels so big it's like pouring Tic-Tacs into the hopper! Then they get stuck in the funnel if not poured slowly and with a drop tube. A couple times I didn't realize the powder got stuck in the funnel and I went on to load what might have been 15gr and got two squib loads that measured 1400-1800fps. I must visually pour the powder in the funnel and ensure it fills the case completely. After I am out of the N570 I will try N170 which is a tad slower powder, but much smaller kernels. Which works for me!

Got a bit of N570 (for RUMs) and cup & core. Glad to hear about N170. May have to try it if I ever shoot lead again. Thanks!

Reactions: BFD
Yeah that N570 is like pencil lead! I used it in my 300 RUM with the 215’s. H1000 is all we’ve tried with the 215 in 300 Win Mag. It has been great in a few guns and around 30 thou off. My gun and my friends both shoot well with almost identical loads right at 3000 FPS. I’m using nosler brass and he’s running PPC I think.

That’s some great shooting. I would like to find some Petersen brass for my 300 Win Mag.
Euro0ptic.com out of PA has 50ct boxes in stock. Make sure you get the "Long" variety, they have both. Have had good luck with them in the past.

Edit: also see 250ct boxes in stock for $330 😲

Yeah that N570 is like pencil lead! I used it in my 300 RUM with the 215’s. H1000 is all we’ve tried with the 215 in 300 Win Mag. It has been great in a few guns and around 30 thou off. My gun and my friends both shoot well with almost identical loads right at 3000 FPS. I’m using nosler brass and he’s running PPC I think.
H1000 is recommended for the 215 Hybrid like carts to horses, butter to bread, but I get better velocity with less pressure using RL25, N570, probably N170. The slightly slower burn rates. My H1000 would yield 2830s compared to these 2900s I got yesterday.

H1000 is recommended for the 215 Hybrid like carts to horses, butter to bread, but I get better velocity with less pressure using RL25, N570, probably N170. The slightly slower burn rates. My H1000 would yield 2830s compared to these 2900s I got yesterday.
Understandable. I do have custom chamber cut specifically for the 215. Also built on a Borden action. I have it stoked up pretty good with H1000. No pressure signs, but has to be really close. With the way yours is shooting I wouldn’t change a thing.

I recalled this overview on LRH and a worth read by badthirtyone.

Back