30mm tubed scopes for hunting

CBH Australia

Hammer Time Executive member
Does anyone mount 30mm scopes on hunting rifles.

Do you choose it for the tube size or the other specifications like "model" quality/Brand/adjustment? Example my mate likes the Swarovski z6 series.

Do you feel there is any specific advantage?

I know it can offer more adjustment but is there any advantage to the hunter?

I use 30mm almost exclusively. I say almost, because I still have a few older 1 inch tubes. The additional adjustments are nice, but the Main benefit I see is the increased light transmission from the larger objective lens and then the bigger tube.

The Bushnell 6500 4 1/2-30X50 came with a 30mm tube. That's why that one. My March 2 1/2-25X52 has a 30mm for increased tube strength. At least that's what they said.

Both are about seven or eight ounces heavier than I like. But, both have very good glass. The best glass I compared with the Bushnell was a Schmidt and Bender. I think it had a 30mm tube also.

I won't say it's universal, could be just cost. The early 30mm seemed to be better constructed than the 1" at the time. The Leupold Mark 4, being better than the old Mark 3. Same with as the Mark 3 seemed better than the less expensive models.

To further muddy the market, I've got 2 34mm.

I won't say it's universal, could be just cost. The early 30mm seemed to be better constructed than the 1" at the time. The Leupold Mark 4, being better than the old Mark 3. Same with as the Mark 3 seemed better than the less expensive models.

To further muddy the market, I've got 2 34mm.
I see 34mm models becoming available in various models. Mostly target or tactical I think.

I found a YouTube presentation last night and they say there is now a 40mm model.

My understanding has long been the tube size does not increase brightness as such. No matter what that is directly related to the exit pupil.

I understand that glass quality and coatings aid low light performance. I have some decent scopes but not upper end expensive scopes.

I have heard that 30 mm tubes are stronger and I think the older Swarovski Habicht 2.4 - 10 x 40 that I'm fitting up today is an older model.

Ive been in a store where I was asking about scopes and one fella says if you want low light performance you need a 30mm tube. I believe I knew that to be false at the time but I didn't argue. I raised the question in another store and he made reference to the Kahles 8x56 with a 25mm tube that was a favourite of roo shooters and Fox shooters for spotlighters for many years confirming what I believe.

A mate is trying to go to all 30mm tubes on hunting rifles so It has me asking Hunters what advantages do they see.

I have a Zeiss Diavari that has a 30mm tube that I think is very clear and great on dusk but the disadvantage is it's one of my heavier scopes. Not a deal breaker but there is something like almost 10oz difference between my Leupold and my Zeiss and both are fairly good to my half worn out eyes both on hunting rifles and better than some of my other scopes.

Both more light collecting:
30mm Large FOV
34mm Larger FOV

Cons: More weight to the scope. Not so much on a 30mm, but a 34mm. Yup, you notice.

I think the best hunting scope is the Leupold VX5HD 3-15X56. Firedot duplex reticle. Crystal clear glass, CDS turret, lightweight, huge FOV.

I order the CDS turret with 200yd zero's. Hold dead on to 200, and when past that, I start to use the yard marked turret for KISS.

Last edited:
Fitted this up today. Should sight in before the weekend.
It's old but clear. Should go ok on this .308 for hunting.
There are marks on both the rifle and scope but it proved accurate with a different scope and 124gn HH so I just want to have it ready for use.
With a standard height DNZ mount it sits low and looks right with just enough room to put a scope cover.
Once sighted it should be set and forget, ready for action.
I will be keen to hunt with it and see what I think in the field in low. Light.
I think it's 2.2 - 9 x 40.makes it pretty versatile.for me.
IMG_20230521_135102.jpg

I seem to have gone to mostly 30mm scopes with 34mm on my long range toys only. The Swarovski Z6 series is great for hunting rifles if you don't mind parting with that much money :oops:. The Athlon Midas HMR is another favorite. If I want open turrets the Athlon Midas Tac with the APLR4 reticle is hard to beat (this is my favorite reticle). I still go the Swaro Z3 or Z5 with the BRH reticle if I'm going for a lightweight setup. You can get to around 750 yards with that reticle depending on the cartridge.

JM2C

Regards

For general hunting, it's a personal preference honestly. If you're dialing for distance a 30/34 gives more adjustment. Same with objective lenses. Used a 30mm tube, 40mm objective for work many years. Made holes out to 1200 in all light and weather conditions. Comes down to how much weight and cost for what you want to do.

Back