338-284

I too am interested in a lightweight 338 for my WBY RPM. Based on other's recommendations, I loaded up the 225SH @ 2626fps. I didn't get a chance to put it in a large animal this fall, but did take a blacktail buck in SE AK. Shot was hard quartering to at about 60 yards. The results were devastating, and I ended up loosing the entire front shoulder. I like that weight class for the large animals around here, but I wouldn't mind a lighter, faster option for lower 48 game and deer.

Well @AKSam

That’s a great looking round. And now that you have passed along all the measurements, in my opinion you have selected one of the best pills in the 338 line. So for all those who have been asking for a 338 pill, the 186SH just moved to the top of my list. Along with the 225SH.

Great stuff
Kneedeep

Gday aksam
That’s a cool looking bullet 👍

I’ll have to say that 186 ticks some boxes as just got told of it’s makeup & I’d not seen it previously on the website 🤷‍♂️or overlooked when was going through them sometime back on the best 338 lightweight pills now to get that for my mate or weight for a 338 lightweight hht hmmmm

This pill is in the realms of what gives us good results over various angles resistances

You’ve chose well & why we should not assume like I did on what pills are in ea calibre range as this is the 2nd time I’ve got caught out on pills (375 got me first )

Looking forward to the results
Cheers

Just put the first few rounds through this barrel- going to run all 100 pieces of brass through once with cheap bullets (225 Speer something or anothers) to form and wear the barrel in. So far it seems to shoot well, and based on the limited data I have now, I’m guessing 2800 with the 186SH should be easily attainable, maybe even 2900. Just basing that on how what I’ve shot so far compares to 338-06 data.

Looks like 2800 is the top so far (last load before stiff bolt going up 1gr at a time with both Varget and H4895). Only 50 down the tube, so it may speed up some. 2800 will do everything I need it to do though. Standard Hammer accuracy- all within an inch with both powders at all charge weights. I’ll play with it some more before I post to the load data thread.

Shot 3 from a cold clean bore this morning with the 186. 2798 average with an ES of 4. Think I’ll call it ready for bears to wake up. This rifle is generally for 300 and in, though it should work well out a little past 400. I’ll play with the 175 HH a little more, it seems to shoot well around 2890 or so. The 186 would benefit from a little longer thoat, which I’ve debated doing but I think I’ll hold off until we see a light weight 338 HHT. IMG_5517.png

Back