350 Legend Load Data/Other Questions

Dobeman298

I've been reading through the various threads here, as well as the data Hammer has posted. I have purchased the 125gr Hammers and have Lil Gun and H110 powders. Concerned with the crimp (have read a variety of info here) and max powder charges. I use a Lee die set with a Hornady taper crimp. I have two 350 Legend rifles- a CVA Scout single shot and a Franchi with a box magazine. Any recommendations would be great-thanks.

Crimping isn't that difficult. Just follow the instructions.
Install shell, drop ram, install die until it touches shell, lower ram, give die another 3/4 turn to start with. Put cartridge on shell. Test crimp. If you like what you see, feel, lock the ring. If not give it quarter turns until you get the crimp you want.

Crimping isn't that difficult. Just follow the instructions.
Install shell, drop ram, install die until it touches shell, lower ram, give die another 3/4 turn to start with. Put cartridge on shell. Test crimp. If you like what you see, feel, lock the ring. If not give it quarter turns until you get the crimp you want.
Thanks- I wasn't asking how to crimp. I'm asking if I "should be" using the taper crimp, based on the info that some have provided on the forums here. I have taper crimped all my other 350 Legend loads- those with FTX, Lehigh, Barnes bullets. It appears that using the taper crimp die has caused some issues with pressure/head spacing with this bullet??

We did not crimp when we tested the 350 Legend. If you crimp you will be on the shoulder. Crimp will work here but may not take much. Make sure your brass is all the same length and it should work fine.

Being as they are not AR platform rifles, I don't think a crimp is necessary with them. If you want to tweak performance with a crimp, the Lee collet crimp die is a good one to use. I'd be leery of going too heavy and/or crimping in a valley between PDR bands with this cartridge. I use this exact bullet with a light crimp from the LFCD in mine intended for an AR, and do so on top of a band. Thus far I haven't had any issues. As mentioned, pay close attention to keeping case length consistent. I'd bet you'll find a great load with either of the powders you have. I settled on Lil-Gun

Back