.358 Cal-215gr Hammer HHT

Steve Davis

Administrator
Staff member
You guys running the 35 Whelen as well as other 358's are gonna like this one. Should run about 2700 fps in the standard Whelen and be plenty of bullet for any North American big game as well as any of the African plains game.

I ordered some of these finally. I won't be able to shoot my Whelen until July because of my broken neck, but couldn't pass up the sale. I agree with Joe, a flat bass 170-180 would be awesome.

Tested the newly release .358 215gr Tipped along with the 220g PH for comparison.

I was in the process of setting up this rifle for the 220’s until the tipped 215 was released.

358 Norma Magnum 26” BBL. 1-10 Twist.
100 Yards.
Accuracy for each bullet is excellent.
Test media: Wet Newsprint.
Chronograph: Lab Radar
Hammer 215gr T:
G1 BC: .408 Based on atmospherics day of test 750ft elevation – JBM ballistic software
MZ velocity: 2995fs
Impact velocity: 2774fs
Bullet opened up at 3”
Pedals were found at the 12” mark
Bullet maintained straight line penetration stopping at 22”.
Bullet diameter: .409”
Bullet Wt: 123.72gr / 57.5%
Bullet Length: .600”
358_215T_Web.jpg

Hammer 220gr PH: For comparison
G1 BC: .366 Based on atmospherics day of test 750ft elevation – JBM ballistic software
MZ velocity: 3022fs
Impact velocity: Est 2775fs – no reading
Bullet opened up at 3”
Pedals were found at the 12” mark
Bullet maintained straight line penetration through 28” of wet media + two 7/16” OSB backer boards. Found on the ground after hitting dirt back stop.
Bullet diameter: .414”
Bullet Wt: 123.85gr / 53.2%
Bullet length: .572”

358_220PH_Web.jpg

The 220gr reproduced the same result as tested last year.
Hard to pick one over the other, both have the same POA.
Leaning towards the 215 T.
Good shooting,
B..

Last edited:
You guys running the 35 Whelen as well as other 358's are gonna like this one. Should run about 2700 fps in the standard Whelen and be plenty of bullet for any North American big game as well as any of the African plains game.
I'm struggling not to order these bullets lol! The .35 Whelen load I ended up making my (production) load is the 245gr SH at 2781fps. It is one of my best hand loads ever! In my mind, 300 yards and in the 245gr SH would be better medicine for plains game up to Eland than the 215gr HHT going maybe 100fps faster. Any one disagree?

I'm struggling not to order these bullets lol! The .35 Whelen load I ended up making my (production) load is the 245gr SH at 2781fps. It is one of my best hand loads ever! In my mind, 300 yards and in the 245gr SH would be better medicine for plains game up to Eland than the 215gr HHT going maybe 100fps faster. Any one disagree?
I'll spend your money 💰 heck ya buy them🤣

I don’t know if “better” is accurate, but I’m betting it’s gonna be good! If you’re happy with the accuracy of your 245s, I say roll ‘em.🤘

@Buck_358

Great test. I know it’s always difficult to get good measurements from looking at a picture. Did either pill show much difference in the diameter of the permanent channel?

The patterns of disturbed newspaper outside the permanent wound channel look different between the two. The 220ph appears to show more pressure in the newspaper at the top left as opposed to the bottom right. Is this the case?

The 215hht appears to show more even pressure all the way around.

Did you see a difference in the length of the bubble between the two pills?

Thanks for sharing this
Kneedeep

@kneedeep

Here are pictures of my witness cards that were used during the test with the spent bullets. Keeping in mind that the 220 went through my full wet stack + (2) 7/16” sheets OSB then dirt. I only used the one card at 3” for the 220ph.

Looking at the cards face on at impact, as the wet print pictures are the exit results.

Diameter of the permanent channel were same for each bullet ~ ½” diameter

The 220 pressures did favor the top right while the 215T was even all the way around.

Sorry, could you expand on “length of the bubble” I don’t know what this means.

.215T_3-Inch_web.jpg215_6-Inch-web.jpg215T_-21-Inch-web.jpg220-PH-3-Inch-web.jpg215_220-web.jpg

@Buck_358

Your witness cards on the 215hht help explain the length of the bubble. What you refer to as the shock ring is what I’d call the bubble.
IMG_5996.jpeg
I circled the shock ring/bubble in blue to see it easier. As you’ve shown, the bubble tapered by half from 3” to 6”. The shock ring/bubble kept tapering until the wound channel was basically the shank. No more influence from the nose petals that cause the shock rings.

If you keep track of these measurements, length, diameter and tapering, you’ll be able to compare one pill to another. By comparing one pill to another and then comparing how those pills perform on game, theoretically you’ll be able to make some good predictions of a pills performance on game from your test. And maybe you already do all of this.

Great test and posts. Thanks again for sharing. If you have compared any other pills in the past, it would be interesting to see how they compare to each other.

Kneedeep

Back