375 Bullets Are Ordered. All Excited.

stevehud58

I've got my first batch of 50, 375 Hammer bullets ordered! After much thought, deliberation, and waffling back and forth I decided on 180 grainers for my 375 Winchester. I had picked out Lil'Gun powder and had kind of figured out a starting load. Then I saw the load data button and found it listed on there for the 375 Win! And it lined up with what I am using as a starting load. So I am happy about that. For an old guy I am excited as a kid on this project.

It is getting cold here now so, this fall yet, I may only work up some pressure & velocity testing loads to see what load I can use to hunt with. Then in the spring work on accuracy. A finished powder load and bullet seating depths. My plan is after working up a load, then just shooting the rest at different distances to get to know the load and rifle together. That will be100 cartridges total. I am starting with 100 new Star Line cases.

Then loading the 100 cases again to use for hunting over the years and hand down the rest to what ever family member ends up with it. I plan to do the "graphite dip" to keep the bullets from attaching to the brass cases.

I installed a Ranger Point large lever on this Winchester 94, a Williams peep on the back, and a Lyman 17a front sight so it is all ready to go.

It is looking like I should be able to get 2800 fps out of this 180 grain 375 bullet. That equals my 30-06! Out to 200 yards anyway. Then the 30 caliber bullet starts pulling away. But the rifle with peep sights is just a 200 yard gun anyway, for me. Sighted in 2" high at 100 yards puts me just less than 2" low at 200. Still plenty of energy and velocity at 200 yards to be an elk or bear cartridge.

I am not expecting a lot of precision. Hopefully 2" moa though. So that is a 4 inch group at 200 yards or a possible 2" off center hit of the trajectory strike point. So 2" low on moa, plus the 2" drop puts me only 4" low. 2" high on the moa strike point puts me dead on at 200. At 100 yards it puts me only 1 inch high or low off of my 2" high trajectory strike point.

So I just hold dead on out to my maximum range of 200 yards. In all my years of hunting, I have never shot a game animal over 200 yards. I don't know why I've lugged around that big scoped, heavy old 30-06 all these years. When I was younger though it didn't seem all that heavy.

I will have to do my part of course. But with the rear Williams peep sight and Lyman globe sight up front I think I can do that. It will be a handy less than 7lb rifle, loaded, that will be in my hand rather than hung over my shoulder.

Last edited:
It is looking like I should be able to get 2800 fps out of this 180 grain 375 bullet. That equals my 30-06! Out to 200 yards anyway. Then the 30 caliber bullet starts pulling away. But the rifle with peep sights is just a 200 yard gun anyway, for me. Sighted in 2" high at 100 yards puts me just less than 2" low at 200. Still plenty of energy and velocity at 200 yards to be an elk or bear cartridge.

I am not expecting a lot of precision. Hopefully 2" moa though. So that is a 4 inch group at 200 yards or a possible 2" off center hit of the trajectory strike point. So 2" low on moa, plus the 2" drop puts me only 4" low. 2" high on the moa strike point puts me dead on at 200. At 100 yards it puts me only 1 inch high or low off of my 2" high trajectory strike point.

So I just hold dead on out to my maximum range of 200 yards. In all my years of hunting, I have never shot a game animal over 200 yards. I don't know why I've lugged around that big scoped, heavy old 30-06 all these years. When I was younger though it didn't seem all that heavy.

I will have to do my part of course. But with the rear Williams peep sight and Lyman globe sight up front I think I can do that. It will be a handy less than 7lb rifle, loaded, that will be in my hand rather than hung over my shoulder.
Gday Steve
You speak so much sense on Moa & it’s applications that ea individual requires to get the job done

If only I understood that earlier in life
Cheers

Back