.44 mag pistol bullet question

Anthropas

Hi all,

I'm trying to understand the Hammer pistol bullet line and am not finding the website very detailed. I'd like to try hammer bullets in my 14" CVA Scout .44 mag, but I only see one specific choice that appears to be a non-expanding bullet.

Since I'm hunting whitetails at close range out of a blind, I'd prefer an expanding bullet or a bullet that sheds petals and has a shank that drives forward like the rifle bullets. I do see another .429 caliber bullet that is labeled as a shock hammer, but its seemingly marketed towards the .444 marlin. So I have 3 questions.

1. Can someone school me on how the shock hammer pistol bullets function? i.e., does it have a petal & shank system like the rifle bullets or 100% weight retention like the jack-hammer?
2. If the .429 shock hammer is a petal & shank design, Is there any reason it would not perform as intended at .44 mag velocities?
3. What velocity ranges are recommended for the pistol bullets?

Thanks!

Post in thread 'Jackhammer operations' https://hammerbullets.com/hammertime/threads/jackhammer-operations.1420/post-23390

To see what the jackhammer looks like when fired from a 7.5" revolver check out the link above. The shock hammer I believe is still "recommended minimum" by hammer bullets to 1800fps impact velocity. I think it would still open @1700fps but that won't get you but a few feet from the the muzzle from a 44mag. I have taken any game with the jackhammer yet, but it will leave a pretty decent hole through something with it's expanded meplat. No worries on full penetration either, even length wise through an animal. There is more in the pistol section on this as well.

Thanks cbjr. I had seen your post/results on the jack hammer and was hoping there was something else available that expanded.

Back