6-284 Stand Gun and a little 6BRX info

darkeagle10x

I had a thread on the old board about a project rifle in 6-284 specifically for a stand deer rifle. It was lost when the forum was updated so I will try and remember some of what was in the old thread and post current status.

I'm a huge fan of the 284 so this has been on my "someday" list forever. I've been running the 88 grain HH in my two 6BRX rifles (just over 3100 fps) on deer for a couple years and loved it. The goal was to run the same 6mm 88 grain HH and see how speed was, then shorten the barrel for better handling in the blind and see how much loss I had. The rifle had one purpose; to hunt deer from an elevated blind with a maximum shot distance of 450 yards with no dialing (meaning it would be flat enough to hold on at any distance I could shoot there).

As a custom rifle builder, I had pretty much what I needed in inventory. Build components: Solus receiver, Bartlein barrel 8T, MBM brake, McMIllan A5 adjustable stock, removable mag, Steiner scope, and TriggerTech trigger.

I already had dies from god only knows where or when I had picked them up and just needed a reamer. I decided to rent a reamer and jump in.

I started with the barrel length of 26" and load work was a breeze. I tried Varget but didn't get the speed I was hoping for. Using Quickload, I saw RL16 looked good so I loaded that up and had good results. I was able to get to 3700 fps with very slight pressure so I backed down one grain to get 3610 fps. It has very mild recoil and you can watch the impact. I sighted in a PB range of 275 and gave me a flat shooter to 400 with a little hold-over, could get the 450 without dialing though I could easily dial what I needed for that rare longer shot.

That is the abridged edition of the old thread as best I can remember.

With the season now over, I can say it performed excellent on whitetail. I had fallen in love with over 3600 so up until recently, I had abandoned shortening the barrel.......until I sat in the blind a few days and decided two things; a 26" barrel with another two inches of brake is a pain to carefully get out the blind window, and although I can shoot to 450, it is very rare that I need to because most deer from this stand are under 300. A little loss in speed is not going to hurt anything as far as the deer are concerned and would still be flat enough for my goal of 450 yards if needed, maybe hold on the back depending on what speed I end up at.

Bringing it up to date, I just finished cutting 4 inches off the barrel, threaded the muzzle again, and indexed the brake. I'm ready to see if the changes effected my previous load and what speed I will get. The rifle seems much more manageable now to move around the blind. Since our deer season is over (other than late ML/bow next week), I also decided to change the scope to a Leica Magnus for best low light hunting as overlooking a food plot always seems to be a late evening or very early morning hunt time for best deer activity there.

When I get a chance, I'll get some speed info. I expect to lose about 200fps according to Quickload. I'm hoping it's less or that I can possibly go up a half grain, or play with seating depth, etc. to get back some of the speed.

Last edited:
The 6BRX barrels are 24". Load development was one and done, as in never so easy. I had a bunch of rounds already loaded with 107 SMK and thought why not try the same load. Being anxious for results, I simply pulled the SMKs and seated the 88 HH in their place. Shot sub MOA just like that. I still have a lot of the SMKs loaded so when I want hunting loads, I pull the bullet and seat the Hammers. I use either a brake or suppressor on the BRXs. There is no recoil so you can watch the impact. If you're the spotter, you usually see the trace as well which is always cool.

The 6BRX barrels are 24". Load development was one and done, as in never so easy. I had a bunch of rounds already loaded with 107 SMK and thought why not try the same load. Being anxious for results, I simply pulled the SMKs and seated the 88 HH in their place. Shot sub MOA just like that. I still have a lot of the SMKs loaded so when I want hunting loads, I pull the bullet and seat the Hammers. I use either a brake or suppressor on the BRXs. There is no recoil so you can watch the impact. If you're the spotter, you usually see the trace as well which is always cool.
Thanks for that. My Dasher is also so much fun to shoot. As you say, no recoil whatsoever. At 100 yds my crosshairs don’t move off an 8x11” sheet of paper.

Merry Christmas to all.

I couldn't wait any longer, I mounted the Magneto Speed and sent a few rounds. SD was not great but accuracy was acceptable. I may play with it more in nicer weather but it's Sub MOA as it is. Speed was better than I expected with an average of 3503 fps so Kris was spot on with his guess and I'm quite happy not to lose more than that. I can probably get back to 3600 without much trouble but for now, I'm pleased with the result and still happy there is zero recoil.

Merry Christmas to all.

I couldn't wait any longer, I mounted the Magneto Speed and sent a few rounds. SD was not great but accuracy was acceptable. I may play with it more in nicer weather but it's Sub MOA as it is. Speed was better than I expected with an average of 3503 fps so Kris was spot on with his guess and I'm quite happy not to lose more than that. I can probably get back to 3600 without much trouble but for now, I'm pleased with the result and still happy there is zero recoil.
I’m curious if shorting the barrel allows for a different, better powder selection. As in slightly faster powder to get pressure up before the bullet leaves the barrel. Although with the velocity you attained after shortening, this may not be a factor.

In my mind the barrel length is, as well as bullet fit in the barrel, part of the case capacity volume and pressure to some extent. At the end of the day I don’t loose any sleep over it but I definitely try a lot more powders than I ever did with cup and core

Merry Christmas
Kneedeep

I’m curious if shorting the barrel allows for a different, better powder selection. As in slightly faster powder to get pressure up before the bullet leaves the barrel. Although with the velocity you attained after shortening, this may not be a factor.

In my mind the barrel length is, as well as bullet fit in the barrel, part of the case capacity volume and pressure to some extent. At the end of the day I don’t loose any sleep over it but I definitely try a lot more powders than I ever did with cup and core

Merry Christmas
Kneedeep

It's been said that it's a myth that shorter barrels need faster powder.
The same powder that gives the best fps at 26" will give the best fps at 22"

It will be interesting to see the results of your testing

Kris

The highest pressure is as the bullet engages the rifling. After that the lowest point is as it leaves the barrel. Ever see pics of a pressure curve? This is also why people who say speed = barrel erosion are wrong. It heat and pressure that erode a barrel. This is why the throat burns out first. It has the most heat and pressure. This is where your powder burn happens and why shorter barrels don't "need " a faster powder. By the time the bullet gets to the other end it's at the fastest point. Why isn't the muzzle end worn out first?

Kris

Fellas

I've seen loads that shoot lights out in a standard Barrel 300 rum, then turn into flamethrowers in a 22-in barrel rum. Some powders require a little bit longer tube to fully extinguish themselves.

Also, I've got a 27 inch 22 Creedmoor and a 20 inch 22 Creedmoor. I was able to run reloader 26 in both of those barrels without a huge muzzle flash in either one, maybe a little in the 20-incher but nowhere near the Flash that the 300 rum created. The only fall off in the creedmoors was velocity. I would think it has to do with powder capacity. I'm not sure, but this is a fascinating topic.

 Joe

Agreed. I had forgotten I’ve already had this conversation in the past. Thanks for pointing it out.

Kneedeep
Gday
@ua26fitter youll have to excuse our one job wonder
I sent kneedeep a video of a murder of crows asking him what way he wanted one cooked

Obviously he wants more than one as his mind was not where it normally is
So more crow on the menu in this thread 😜

My derails over so carry on
Merry Christmas to all
Cheers

Man alive I got off easy on that one. Farleg must be feeling the Christmas Spirit. I’ll try your grilled crow recipe. Well that is if you start driving faster than the speed of smell. You could have easily gotten two of those crows in the road.

Kneedeep

Man alive I got off easy on that one. Farleg must be feeling the Christmas Spirit. I’ll try your grilled crow recipe. Well that is if you start driving faster than the speed of smell. You could have easily gotten two of those crows in the road.

Kneedeep
Just for you today I’m going to get a crow &put it in the freezer just for you 😇 as man alive we have hundreds today as cutting hay @ the present

I’ll post up a new thread when I complete the task @ hand & autopsy this I will be able to do 😇
Cheers

Been thinking about shortening the barrel of my 7mag by a couple inches for similar handling reasons but worried about how much velo would be lost as hate to neuter a magnum. In the course of researching probable velo loss came across this little snippet from the Federation of Amercian Scientists regarding ballistics. Likely many of you already know this but I found it helpful. Had no idea that in many instances, particularly with faster (degressive) powders, peak pressure is obtained in the first 3-5 inches of barrel length! If you have a moment give it a quick scan be interested in the Hammerhead brain trust thoughts.

Back