6.5 PRC Bergara

I had an EC tuner brake on my PRC and it worked really well the only downside was it was too heavy and really made the rifle barrel heavy it would be fine on a bench gun or a rifle you were going to shoot out of a stand with but packing it around here in the Idaho foothills didn't really work, so I had mcgowan make me one of there turbo brakes and that works to tame the recoil and only weights a few inches.

That's a concern. The barrel I'm thinking about is 30" long (I already have it). Don't do any packing/climbing, just box blind hunting. Weight not a huge concern, but like to keep rifles around 9 lbs. or so.
Gonna probably chamber it in another of Rich Sherman's wildcats and make a lightening bolt thrower! (300 PRC Imp necked down to 6.5).

Well I got out early to tweak on that barrel tuner. Had also tweaked my load a little and increased the crimp to 1/4. Fired 12 rounds total in two shot groups except the last group where I fired 4 (It took me that many shots to screw it up) :rolleyes:. I think there really is something to that tuner, I started with the best group setting I had yesterday then went in increments of 3. Rounds 9 and 10 hit a sweet spot where it put 2 in the same hole so naturally I fired a 3rd and it went with the first 2. So now I've only got one shot left so...........

Anyhow I'm pleased with the Harrell tuner/brake. It only adds about 1 1/2" to the barrel and certainly seems to help. At half the price and half the weight of most others it's sure worth a try. The Bartlein barrel made all the difference in the world. I went with 26" on the barrel. Don't know if I need it but I've found it's a lot easier to shorten them than it is to weld 2" back on :)

GL I will post my load as soon as i tune it. It's still is a little hot, especially with the extra crimp. I'll have to tame it down a little.

Regards

Attachments

• 655.jpg
    655.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 3
I try not to look at any groups as I am shooting. I tend to pull last shot when I do just to look at group.🤬 That tuner is getting my attention for sure!!! I think I will let you work out all the tuner "how to" to go to town on all your hard work!

Nice trigger work!

I try not to look at any groups as I am shooting. I tend to pull last shot when I do just to look at group.🤬 That tuner is getting my attention for sure!!! I think I will let you work out all the tuner "how to" to go to town on all your hard work!

Nice trigger work!
Thank you sir! I'll tweak the load, then I'll tweak the brake.......then I'll need more bullets :unsure:

Want to take it out and check terminal performance on some doodads (my grand daughter's name for aoudad) with it soon I hope

Regards

Well I shot myself in the foot this morning. Tweaked my load then lost my sweet spot. Best group was 3/4" across (remember when we thought that was good?). Load might still be a little on the warm side. Maybe I should go out this afternoon and see how temp sensitive my ammo is, only supposed to be 109 degrees today. 🥵

Also trying to work up a load for PRS shooting with 147 eldm's as my hammer loads are way too fast. I am 6 grains to the right of Vihtavuori's recommended max and still no pressure with N570. Their load information is the most anorexic I have found. Might likely run out of capacity before I hit pressure.

Regards

Haven't fooled with lead in a long while, so don't have a feel for that. My guess is look at lead load data. Find fastest listed velocity and go below that in speed - unless you have a looong barrel?

Haven't fooled with lead in a long while, so don't have a feel for that. My guess is look at lead load data. Find fastest listed velocity and go below that in speed - unless you have a looong barrel?
Fact is the 125 HHT's slightly outperform or stay with the heavier and higher bc lead core out to 3/4 of a mile but I can't use anything over 3200 fps for PRS shooting. Ideally I should be shooting the 137's but my 7.5 twist is too slow. Them red tipped bullets just don't look right after shooting the black tip ones and will need to get them to 3050 minimum to be of any use to me at all. This cartridge is just kinda looking a little anemic for my purpose. Might need to go 264 Win or neck down the 7 PRC :unsure:

So many rifles, so little time

Back