6 ARC Hog Bullet

howie

preparing for our annual hog hunt and this time I want to take the 6 ARC. I'm leaning heavily toward the 75 HHT. I don't have a lot of hog experience, maybe 25 over 5 years of hunting them, so is the 75 HHT ok, or do I need to look at heavier bullets? This is a 22" 1:7.5 bolt gun. I should add there is an excellent chance for 300-400 yard shots at coyotes
Thanks.

preparing for our annual hog hunt and this time I want to take the 6 ARC. I'm leaning heavily toward the 75 HHT. I don't have a lot of hog experience, maybe 25 over 5 years of hunting them, so is the 75 HHT ok, or do I need to look at heavier bullets? This is a 22" 1:7.5 bolt gun. I should add there is an excellent chance for 300-400 yard shots at coyotes
Thanks.
That exactly the bullet I’d use. I took a very large hog with that at 522-523 yards last month with that bullet. Pig went straight down.

I mine was a .243 AR 10. So a bit more speed. But I have killed a bunch of pigs with my Grendel. So I think you have a great balance of speed and weight with that bullet choice.

I think that because it’s 6mm if you stretch out to say a 90-100gr pill. It will get very long and eat up to much case capacity. Similar to how guys run 120 in the 6.5 Grendel. Case capacity is a big deal with these

Doing load development for 90HHT tomorrow. Dropped hog coyote and deer with 87 Shock Hammers.
Curious how fast you can push that 90. I guess barrel length matters also. The arc has slightly less capacity than the 6.5 and smaller bore so with enough length the 90gr may be a good option. But 75gr is gonna be great for the distance he is going for I think.

IMG_5495.jpeg
Yup a little longer than the 88 Shock Hammers. The Shock hammer hits lands pretty quick. Got 4 loads to test. Started .6gr below Shock Hammer load and went up .3gr increments. Will post results tomorrow.

Reactions: BFD
Back