6mm-284 build

Mountainman

Hammer Time Executive member
Planned on building one of these for some time and finally got around to it a few weeks ago. Blueprinted Remington action, trigger tech trigger, 26" 1:10 twist Lilja barrel with Sendero contour, talley one piece rings and 3-18 Z5 Swarovski with BRX reticle. Cerakote finish is gunmetal grey. Stock is a Stocky's long range composite. These stocks are somewhat heavy but very solid. They have a great feel to them and I have several now.

Went to the range with 8 different loads to try. Quick story here, I load 2 shot loads when I'm trying to find what a rifle likes. Saves on all the hard to get supplies. Ran into a fella at the range who didn't mind telling me he thought I was wasting my time and you needed 5 shots to really determine how a rifle is shooting. I just said seems to me if a rifle wont' put two close together it most certainly won't do five. Me being me I couldn't help adding......"you should see my one shot groups" He just looked at me like I'd lost my mind and walked away. :)

Long story short next day I settled on a load with 55 gr. Hammer running 4110 fps. Best group that morning was 0.091 (three shots). Killed two coyotes and a small pig with it so far and they didn't waste any time dying.

6mm-284.jpg6-284 group.jpg

Mountainman you are making my wallet quiver!!! :geek:
:geek: :geek: :giggle:
LOL, I can be talked out of it :) I was going to call this thread the Kreedmoor Killer but since building a 22 Creedmoor for a customer my animosity has been somewhat tempered. No doubt a very able cartridge that did prove very easy to load for. The ridiculous hype is what I could never tolerate and that seems to be non existent here.

Mountainman -The bolt is on the wrong side for me! That said, it is just so much fun to see awesome builds. There is so many cool things out there. Right now I have a pretty nice stable of smoke poles. If I spend some bucks it would be on glass or a better stock for my 300RUM. I really need to spend more time getting things dialed in on 3 of my guns. From reading your stuff Mountainman it sounds like you are a gunsmith. My admiration to you sir! It is hard to find a good one. My goal this year is to get my Remington 788 in Winchester 308 evaluated and then possibly dialed in. Now that I have it mechanically sound, it is time to shoot for groups. The Timney Trigger really made a difference over the stock trigger. I've written about my "Rat" gun in other threads. I really do want to take it from "Rat" to "Rad" All of this is to say, did you do the Cerekote finish yourself? What do you think of the air dried Cerekote?

Hi les, yes I am a gunsmith. Started as a hobby 50 years ago then about 15 years ago I got a lot more equipment and got more serious with it. Then after I retired last year it has really turned into a full time job. Not really work since I enjoy it........also keeps my butt off the couch.

I have used the air dry cerakote and have very good luck with it. In fact I believe this 6mm is air dry. Cerakoting is the one thing I would farm out if I had that option as it is a lot of work but I live 100 miles from nowhere and there's no applicators nearby.

Back