7 PRC

Mountainman

Hammer Time Executive member
Just finished this one. Kelbly Atlas Lite action, 24" Bartlein 8 twist carbon fiber barrel, H&S stock (the same model as the original Sendero not the one that feels like you're holding an apple in your hand). Talley one piece rings, Trigger Tech and a Vortex Viper 4-16x44 (I think by his last email this scope is going to get swapped out for a Swarovski Z8).
The thing shoots factory Hornady 175 eldx ammo lights out putting 4 shots into less than 3/4". Now I finally have enough empty brass tomorrow it's going to try out some 131, 143 and 155 Hammers.

7 PRC.jpg

Mountainman, another great looking and shooting rifle. I’m interested to see where the velocities land.

Kneedeep
Thank you Sir! I won't have time for a lot of workup, especially with three different bullets as he's picking the rifle up on Tuesday but I'm sure going to get some preliminary information on all three then pick one and go for groups and velocity. I always send them home with a box of Hammers..........just my way of making the horse drink :)

Preliminary test shows great accuracy with the Hammers (surprise surprise :). 131 Heavy hammers running 3320 and 3310 respectively with the two best loads, RL22 and Hybrid 100. Best accuracy with 143's was with N560 @ 3250 fps and the 155's also with N560 at 3110. No pressure with any of these loads. Going to run a ladder test tomorrow with the 131's (because I have a lot of these) and try to settle on a load. They are a lot nicer to shoot out of that lightish rifle than the 175's.

I also found out Hornady's advertised muzzle velocity of 3000 fps with the 175's must have been out of a 28" barrel at 10,000 feet :). Best I got was 2830.

Nice work Mountainman. No doubt it will help crack some toothy grins.
I love light bullets and light rifles.

We are going to build one to see what the fuss is about. Same with the 6.8 Western.
I will certainly be interested in the 6.8 Western. Kinda hoping I get to build one in the near future. My impressions of the 7 PRC are all favorable. If possible it's even easier to load for than the 7 Rem mag. Seemed to digest everything easily and accurately, at least for the short time I got to play with it. I don't believe it fills a niche though, that hole has been filled since 1962. Long and short of it, if you have a 7 Rem mag you have no need for a 7 PRC. If you don't have one and are looking to fill that hole this cartridge would be right at the top of my list.

JM2C

Regards
Brian

Back