7 Rem Mag w/ 101 gr HH

BuckeyeHntr

Hi all!
This is my first post on hammer time, but have been lurking and shooting hammers for a little over a year.
I just started load development with the 101 gr HH last weekend. My ladder test topped out at 67 gr of H4350 with a MV of 3505 fps (ladder started at 65 gr and went up in .5 gr increments) no pressure was observed in the ladder. Moving forward, I have recieved my FCD and will be implementing its use. Should I drop back down to the bottom of the ladder when I put a crimp on these bullets? I assume the answer is yes, but thought I would ask. Also, is there a better powder choice for this bullet? Other than the beloved and also unobtainable RL26. I have on hand Varget, H100v, IMR 4895, and IMR 4350.

Thanks for any advice you have!

If you want to try h100v it'll give you a bit more.
Now normal precautions should be taken, due to rifles being different.
If you decide to use your fcd from the start, just to give consistency in your ladder.
Make sure your brass is all trimmed to same length for consistent crimp.
If you want to test with your h4350 bring it back 1- 1.5gns then go up.
Your inducing another variable into your ladder that you didn't before.
Good luck and keep us updated.

Attachments

• 20230712_053920.jpg
    20230712_053920.jpg
    765.9 KB · Views: 20
Thanks for the reply and advice riceman! I appreciate the sharing of load data that goes on around here. It is very helpful when used responsibly. I admittedly start too conservative sometimes (especially with hammer bullets) on my ladder tests, thus wasting components, but better dollars than fingers and eyeballs I suppose. I think I will try some 100V after I crimp with the H4350.
I have no idea why I want to squeeze velocity out of this rifle with a 101gr bullet, but I just damn well do!

I do have a buddy that is taking it on a pronghorn hunt this year with this load. But, it is admittedly overkill. Lol

Thanks for the reply and advice riceman! I appreciate the sharing of load data that goes on around here. It is very helpful when used responsibly. I admittedly start too conservative sometimes (especially with hammer bullets) on my ladder tests, thus wasting components, but better dollars than fingers and eyeballs I suppose. I think I will try some 100V after I crimp with the H4350.
I have no idea why I want to squeeze velocity out of this rifle with a 101gr bullet, but I just damn well do!
Always good to be safe!
I don't look at it as "wasting components"
Besides its fun, but your gaining knowledge of what works and what doesn't. If you keep notes and compare your data to others it give you starting and "better stop" points. I'm going on 5yrs with hammers and shot a bunch of them!
I may start a lot higher in the ladder than some, but as you go you'll get more comfortable with your starting points.
Always be safe though!
Alan

So, I found time between food plot work yesterday to shoot six rounds. 3 rounds with H4350 and 3 rounds with H100V
IMG_2939.jpeg
The top 3 are H100v
The bottom 3 are H4350
Here are the number:
IMG_2942.jpeg
I observed no pressure in the H4350.
With the H100V at 68 grains I may have just the slightest crater starting….maybe. IMG_2941.jpeg
H4350 on left and H100V on the right. Lowest charge to highest as the appear. The top right is The 68 gr charge in question. I can just feel a slight rise around the firing pin dent when I run my finger across it. This is a book max load for a 100 gr sierra SP on hodgdon’s website.

Am I being too paranoid about this “pressure” sign? Still new to this.

Thanks for any feedback!

OH….

View attachment 2185

Am I being too paranoid about this “pressure” sign? Still new to this.
Possibly. Those all look healthy and rounded.
Here’s example of 1 with flat primer shallow strike and the next one with heavy extraction and shallow strike.
This is out of a gas gun so a little more abuse but if it were me I’d go hotter.
IMG_4772.jpeg

You are close. I predict you should easily be in 3650-3750FPS range.

I push my tests to VERY flat primers and ejector marks or sticky bolt, but I have brass I don’t like, so I don’t mind ruining it.😬 I’d say you’ve got a grain or two more to go in those. I’d load 68 and 69 of 4350 and 69 of 100v and shoot them. Your velocity is still coming up 80 fps or more per grain, which for me is a good indicator that you’re not at pressure yet.

Thanks for the replies guys. Guess I am being a little conservative. I was hoping to reach 3700 fps. Does look like I should get there now. I’ll likely load those tonight but won’t have a chance to shoot until next weekend. Thanks again!!!

OH….

I don't think you are paranoid, maybe cautious yes.
Which a guy thats new to this should be.
When I shot a ladder and don't reach what I think is pressure, go back and load your last one again and proceed in 1/2gn up like you were.
H4350 67.5,68,68.5,69.
H100V 68, 68.5,69
I think this will be what your looking for.

Per Riceman’s advice I went back and loaded with H100V from 68gr to 70gr in .5 gr increments. Of course it took much longer to get time to shoot than I anticipated, damn work. IMG_2971.jpegSo the flier was the 70 gr charge traveling 3689fps . Still have not broke 3700 fps. Seems as though on these last 4 rounds I hit a plateau in velocity. Makes me think I may be close to pressure? Though I haven’t seen any pressure signs. The three close shot are the 68.5-69.5 gr charges and landed in a little over .6”
I may hang around this accuracy mode and be happy.
What do ya’ll think?

OH…

When your velocity either makes a huge jump (~100fps from one charge to the next), or plateaus, you're either at or very near over top pressure and safety.
Don't know if you're crimping, but changing crimp setting or changing primers is about all that's left for fine tuning. 0.6 is fine if consistant!

That’s what I figured. I am using a FCD set at a 1/16 (approx) of a turn. So you’re suggesting shooting groups while increasing the amount of crimp/group, correct? To tune in accuracy.
LRP have been scarce in my area, but have been seeing some availability as of late, so I have a few other options to try.

Yes.
Changing crimp by 1/8 steps is an excellent way to fine tune your grouping.
Since you started your loads with a crimp, increasing crimp should not materially increase/affect pressure.
As you go up in crimp, you should see your groups enlarge/diminish (just like changing powder charges or changing seating depth in cup & core bullets). It's actually amazing what changing crimp settings can do.
Of course, 0.6" groups are wonderful if they remain consistent at your powder setting.
Keep us posted!!!

Thank you gltaylor for your responses! It is exciting to think it may be possible to attain better accuracy! I am hoping these groups tighten up simply by shooting the same charge weight shot to shot. As this group was shot with 3 different charge weights. To think it could tighten up again with the crimp tuning method is awesome!!!

I must be one of those kind of guys that say, "Here hold my beer and watch this." WHen I did the factory crimp die, I just used my maximum load. I started with a 16th and then moved up by 16th to a 1/2 turn. 7/16 turn is the sweet spot for this rifle.

Dang! That seems like a lot of crimp, but then again I’m a total newb to the crimping game. Good to know for sure!

OH….

If you crimp, it's better to start crimping at a lower setting and work up (my opinion only) with your powder charge.
Once you find a load that wants to shoot, then you can incrementally change your crimp setting, adding progressively more crimp. You will find a sweet spot were your load shoots best (tuning a load).
Some start initial loading with a lot of crimp 3/8-1/2. Guess that works fine? At least you work up to pressure with that degree of crimp already in place, so there should be no unpleasant surprises. Just me personally, virtually all my rifles shoot best with less than 1/2 turn on the Factory crimp die. Most of mine do best between 1/8 and 3/8 turns, with at least .003 neck tension (interference fit).
If you start with a crimp, gradually increasing crimp does not seem to materially increase pressure (or speed). If you start with no crimp, then add crimp, you can experience a significant increase in pressure suddenly! JM2CW

Back