7 STW Bullet advice for elk hunt

LeeCoDawgFan

Hey guys I’m brand new here and am looking for some advice on what bullet you would use on a bull elk hunt shooting a 7 STW?
I recently picked up a new to me custom 7STW built on a rem 700 action. 1:8 twist 26 inch Bartlein barrel.
I have not done a lot with the copper bullet world and all of my experience is mostly with nosler BT, AB, and partitions. The hammer bullets have struck my interest and I want to work up a load to use on the elk hunt this year. My train of thought with lead bullets was to not go below 160 grains. After reading a bit on this forum it seems like you can go a good bit lighter and still have plenty of knockdown power with the hammers.
Main question is should I go lighter than 160 in order to see the full benefit of the hammer bullets out of the STW or should I stick with something heavier for elk? Next question is which hammer bullet should I go with in your opinion.
Before doing much research I ordered a sample pack of 160 gr Shock Hammers. The first load I tried was with RL 19 (I’ll have to go check how much powder I used). It shot absolutely amazing at 100 yards. 3 shot group sub 1/2 inch. Bullets resting on the lands. I’ll include a pic of the target. I didn’t even bring the chrono out that day so I have no idea about velo.
Thinking about trying the 145 grain HHT but that small a bullet scares me for elk even though I know it shouldn’t. Lot of elk taken with 140 gr accubonds out of that STW.
Thanks for any and all info you can provide!71123986280__334F596E-40AB-46F8-9DE8-5F3A4A6DC2E3.jpeg

Taking the 131 Heavy Hammer elk hunting in September. My 280 REM doesn’t have the twist for anything else really, but if I did, I’d probably still just be using the 132 HHT. At 3500 fps mv, which your STW is easily capable of, it would be the cat’s meow!

It’s hard to argue with how your rifle is shooting the 160 SH. The 145 HHT is also a great choice. I’m shooting the 132 HHT with no qualms about using it on elk out to several hundred yards - I don’t think anything you’re considering is too light for bulls.

I agree with going even lighter with the 145 HHT or even the 143g HH, especially if they shoot like your 160 SH.
Like gl, I also strongly encourage you to seat them away from the lands. I have found them to be pretty insensitive to seating depth, but they don't like to be touching.

Back