70hh vs yard yote

MeatBuck

Hammer Time Executive member
meatbuck Avatar
meatbuck
Platinum Member

Nov 23, 2022 at 10:38am
harperc, riceman, and 6 more like this
Was laying around yesterday morning waiting for water heater to refill so I could take a shower. My son had just gone outside to check on our dogs and then came back in. He looked back out the window and saw a coyote nosing around the edge of our yard.
I wasted no time grabbing the bedside shotgun but i only had 2 3/4” 8s for yard squirrels so I quickly ditched it and went to the rifle closet. Snagged the 243win out and thumbed 3-4 rounds (70g hh over rl16 @3620mv) down in the mag and hit the porch in nothin but my boxer shorts.
Some of my yard houses a miniature Toyota truck scrapyard and the dog went behind it and into the almond orchard. I figured I’d better run back in and toss on pants and shoes of some sort so I could get off the porch and into the yard or orchard to get a shot as it was leaving.
Well as I was hitchin up my britches my ol last sees it come back out on the right side of the trucks. So I go back out, now in pants. The dang yote went back left behind the trucks again. So my son and ol lady point his direction to me from the window and I make a move off the porch and poke out the right side expecting to get a shot off my *** and bipod. But I hear a tapping on the window behind me. They point left.
So I get up and move to the left of the vehicles again and sit back down. Now I see the coyote moving left about 80-100 yds out in the orchard. I wasted no time getting on it but it stopped behind a tree. I waited a second and it stepped out. I started to squeeze but wasn’t as steady as I like. Took another second or two to reset and eased back into the trigger. Pop. Flop.
My audience approved from the window as they saw the dog drop. My porch cats, now safe from coyote, scattered at the shot and I went back inside to get dressed so we could go have a look.
I hit her just back of the shoulder and exit was in front of off shoulder. Mid body. I didn’t do any investigation of internals but the 70g hh seemed to have appropriately done its job. I could hear the sloshing of blood and lung in the chest cavity. There was some hair laying on and around her. As well as a big pool of blood from the mouth. Exit was small and fur friendly in my opinion.

🍻
🥩🦌

Chungus Avatar
Chungus

Jan 21, 2023 at 5:07pm
harperc, riceman, and 4 more like this
Post Options
Options Select Post Deselect Post Report Post Back to Top
Good job Meatbuck! I loved the narrative on this from-the-porch-hunt!

The pelt looks pretty nice. I'm not sure where you're located, but it's nice to see green grass, even if it is just on my screen...

We got a coyote from the porch this week, I'll post in my other thread.

Thought I’d bring something to the new varmint section.

🍻
🥩🦌

Back