75 Miles, 52 Yards, 10 Pointer

OutdoorEdventure

Staff member
074AF33C-EF6F-4654-BBC8-B8F01F0DB4F2.jpeg
Connor spent days glassing, passing 50-100 bucks and up to 400 does a day. After logging 75 miles, he and his hunting partner found this buck. He got within 52 yards and sent the 143gr Hammer Hunter from a Browning X-Bolt 7 Rem Mag. The buck dropped where he stood.
Congratulations on a beautiful 10 pointer.
D7006868-B068-4A86-8215-85CBCBAF1FAA.jpeg

Gday meatbuck
I don’t get that as it’s definitely got 10 points or a 5x5

Why would no one count the eye tynes I’m guessing you lot leave those out

Cool looking buck & love the reference of that dip container 😍

Cheers
East vs West, and some overlap in middle.

Those eye tines are scoreable for the record books. Pretty tough to get a mule deer in the books without decent eye guards.

East likes to focus on weight when talking bears, west more likely to go with squared hide, B&C uses skulls

A guide friend in British Columbia maintains the bulls there have thicker horns, and that should count.

Some think volume displacement is the way to score horned and antlered game.

Me I go with whatever local custom prevails.

That one is Connor's, he can call it what he wants but where I grew up in Alberta that would be known as a good 4x4.

Here in Saskatchewan, most would call it a 10pt

I always thought that convention came from Elk regulations in Alberta where brow tines do not count - a bull would need 3 (or 5) points to be legal, NOT including brow tines.

I've come to learn that language is a fluid thing, and there are few 'absolutes' in life.

No use getting worked up over semantics, but does make for interesting discussion to pass the time 👍

Thanks fellas for clarification
I reakon it’s a corker
Which translates to a real good one

I also get caught up in stags , bucks & bulls of correct terminology but
This muppet doesn’t worry to much as if the one taking that critter likes it
That’s the best part right there

Cheers

That one is Connor's, he can call it what he wants but where I grew up in Alberta that would be known as a good 4x4.

Here in Saskatchewan, most would call it a 10pt

I always thought that convention came from Elk regulations in Alberta where brow tines do not count - a bull would need 3 (or 5) points to be legal, NOT including brow tines.

I've come to learn that language is a fluid thing, and there are few 'absolutes' in life.

No use getting worked up over semantics, but does make for interesting discussion to pass the time 👍
When I lived in Saskatchewan we only counted one side and not the brow tines. When I first moved down here I was telling a story about a gorgeous 6 point whitetail I had passed up in Manitoba. Everyone looked at me like I was smoking left handed cigarettes. Then I remembered in Texas that would be a 14 point. ;)

When I lived in Saskatchewan we only counted one side and not the brow tines. When I first moved down here I was telling a story about a gorgeous 6 point whitetail I had passed up in Manitoba. Everyone looked at me like I was smoking left handed cigarettes. Then I remembered in Texas that would be a 14 point. ;)
Exactly! We don’t “pass” on 14 pointers!😜🤘

My best muley was so far is 28 inches. I guess I am an underachiever. That said my motto is, "you can't eat horns." My preferred is a nice 3 point. More meat than a forked horn, but still nice and tender. I'm a meat hunter.

Back