7mm-08 118 gr HHT’s

01foreman400

Didn’t finish testing yesterday due to it getting dark but with 45 gr. of Varget I had a five shot average of 3,062 fps out of a 16.5” barrel. I’m very pleased with the fps. My groups weren’t where I wanted them to be but, I’m not done yet. I loaded up to 46.2 gr. to test. Going to try and shoot again in a couple of weeks. Also loaded up some 125 HHT’s in my kids 6.5 CM.

That’s pretty darn good velocity you’re seeing out of that short a barrel. My son’s 20” barrel is pushing the 101 gr HH at 3150 and you’re right on its heals.

That 101 grain hammer hunter in my sons savage will shoot 1/2 MOA all day long. 7-08 is a great caliber and hammers even make it better.

I’ve got a 22” Tikka 708. 46 grs of Tac in Nosler brass was safely running it at 3,242! Unfortunately, I wasn’t getting good groups. But your speed is very impressive coming from a 16.5” barrel. I’ve got Varget, and need to give that a try!

I'm getting 2900 out a 18" AR10 pushing hard with Benchmark, N135, and TAC. I did the calibration for a 22" barrel factoring in the velocity loss of the AR gas system and barrel length and it would be moving 3020fps. That velocity you are getting in a 16.5 is a humdinger! Naturally I question the primer pocket life, :p

@01foreman400, curious what brass you’re using? I’ve been running Nosler, and really happy with it. Has a larger capacity than most, and really strong pockets. Seems you can get more velocity safely out of the Nosler than some others.

Hand loads really make it shine. There’s some good factory ammo available, but I feel significant performance is left on the table with the factory option. Then again, that’s the case with many other cartridges. I just happen to really like the 708.
+1

I’ve got a 22” Tikka 708. 46 grs of Tac in Nosler brass was safely running it at 3,242! Unfortunately, I wasn’t getting good groups. But your speed is very impressive coming from a 16.5” barrel. I’ve got Varget, and need to give that a try!
This is a Tikka T3x as well.

I'm getting 2900 out a 18" AR10 pushing hard with Benchmark, N135, and TAC. I did the calibration for a 22" barrel factoring in the velocity loss of the AR gas system and barrel length and it would be moving 3020fps. That velocity you are getting in a 16.5 is a humdinger! Naturally I question the primer pocket life, :p
The brass life is no concern to me. I’ve got more than I’ll ever shoot.

I’ve got 131HHH inbound, and have a sample pack of the 132HHT I’m gonna try. I’ve got Benchmark, XTerminator, Tac, Varget, and Power Pro 2000-MR. Likely be the last three powders mentioned that will have best velocity results.

The brass life is no concern to me. I’ve got more than I’ll ever shoot.
Good on ya! I've been telling anyone who will listen to me, "Have enough ammo so you don't have to worry about pulling the trigger!" I've reduced my overall inventory of guns to keep a select few for which I've built ample supply of gun food! These select few also get all the best upgrades I can think of. (Within reason) :cool:

Brass certainly is a component with varying levels of metallurgy and case capacities.
Softer case heads/webs are: (For 308 brass)
Federal, Hornady, Starline. With Federal the softest, least lasting primer pockets.

Slightly harder case heads/webs:
Winchester & Remington come in a little harder with the case head and a couple grains capacity.

Hardest case heads/webs:
Peterson, Nosler, Alpha is top with Nosler the most case capacity.

I'm waiting for a 18" Proof barrel to arrive for my 7-08 build and have been contemplating what bullet I am going to run. I just got an email from a customer that is hunting in New Zealand with his wife for red stag. His wife shot a beautiful bull with her 7-08 running the 145gr HHT. She didn't want her pic on social I can't show it. Here is the story.

Hi Steve,

My wife shot a nice Red Stag in New Zealand last night. She was shooting her 7mm-08, 20” barrel, with TBAC Ultra 7.
Her load was Lapua brass, 215M, 42 grains RL-15.5, 145 gr. HHT, approx. 2,830 fps.
We couldn’t get her a broadside shot on the Stag, so she ultimately took a frontal chest shot, from approx. 200 yards. The stag dropped immediately. The bullet exited just in front of the off hindquarter. Super impressive terminal performance.
Photo attached. Thank you very much for making such outstanding bullets!

I think I am going to run the 145 HHT in my short barrel light weight. Planning to use it in NM for elk this fall.

Back