7mm 169g hammer hunter

Demerson93

Ok I have a 1:8 twist 26 in 7mm rem mag does anyone have a good load set up for the 169g hammer hunter bullets I have h1000, magpro, RL22, staball HD, imr4350 powders and rem 9 1/2 mag, cci 250 mag and winchester WLRM primers I've never used hammers before so I only got a sample pack

Welcome to the forum! I ain't got a clue on what to use for the 7Mag, but there's gonna be some fellers chiming in that do! You are gonna have some fun with Hammers! :)

Demerson93,
Do some readng first. Hammers are unlike what you've loaded in the past. Several good articles under Reloading will get you started on the right foot.
Those of us that's been loading 50+ years also had a learning curve😆.
If you don't understand, no dumb questions. Lots of friendly, helpful folks here.
Also tons of load data under Reloading for Hammer hunters, Absolutes and the new HHTs.

I too am interested in a starting point. I have H-1000 and WLRM primers.
Any body have any experience with this combo?

H1000 is probably going to be too slow (burn rate).
Look under Reloading on this Forum, at the Hammer Load Data for ideas. Plenty of data.
Oh, and welcome from NE Alabama!

Reactions: BFD
I too am interested in a starting point. I have H-1000 and WLRM primers.
Any body have any experience with this combo?
I did a load with imr 4350 at 60.0 and h1000 at 67.5 the 4350 had a little bit tighter group but that was my first loads with the 169 HH

@gltaylor- Thanks for the Welcome. I do have H4350 and H4831 as well, looking for temp stable.
I was under the impression that a heavier bullet preferred a slower powder, hence H-1000 was my first choice. Thanks for the recommendation, I’ll do a little more research before development and post back my results.

@Demerson93- What primer did you end up choosing? I have WLRM & CCI250’s, maybe standard rifle, but I will most likely choose one of the magnums.

@gltaylor- Thanks for the Welcome. I do have H4350 and H4831 as well, looking for temp stable.
I was under the impression that a heavier bullet preferred a slower powder, hence H-1000 was my first choice. Thanks for the recommendation, I’ll do a little more research before development and post back my results.

@Demerson93- What primer did you end up choosing? I have WLRM & CCI250’s, maybe standard rifle, but I will most likely choose one of the magnums.
I've only done the cci 250s so far haven't tried the WLRM yet

Hammer bullets (all) have much lower engraving pressure (are "slicker") than traditional bullets due to their PDR design. For that reason, they require slightly faster powders to achieve max velocities.

Suggest you do some reading before you get too far into reloading Hammers. Several very good articles under Reloading and Bullets and Ballistics. That'll help get you off on the right foot😄

Hammer bullets (all) have much lower engraving pressure (are "slicker") than traditional bullets due to their PDR design. For that reason, they require slightly faster powders to achieve max velocities.

Suggest you do some reading before you get too far into reloading Hammers. Several very good articles under Reloading and Bullets and Ballistics. That'll help get you off on the right foot😄
Ok, thanks for the info, I think I’ll start with H4350, since I have 5lbs of new.

Hodgdon says 58-60gr. for H4350 For 170’s, but again these seem to not follow the rules. Maybe I’ll start around 57gr. To be safe. What’d ya’ll think?

Back