7mm Rem Mag 145 HHT questian

220yotekiller

So I just from back from the range and I need some advice. So the first load that was sub inch was 63.5 gr with H4831 at 60 thousandths off the lands. The first group was .88 and this morning it shot 1.5" it wasn't fast at 2850 fps so no great loss except the bullets.
The second group wasn't the best but it was just under 1.1 so it shows promise, it was faster at 2950 fps at 60 thousandth off the lands.
What would be the best was forward? Just shoot the second load and see where I go from there?

Last edited:
So I just from back from the range and I need some advice. So the first load that was sub inch was 63.5 gr with H4831 at 60 thousandths off the lands. The first group was .88 and this morning it shot 1.5" it wasn't fast at 3850 fps so no great loss except the bullets.
The second group wasn't the best but it was just under 1.1 so it shows promise, it was faster at 3950 fps at 60 thousandth off the lands.
What would be the best was forward? Just shoot the second load and see where I go from there?
I usually start at 0.020 off lands. That way only one direction to go from there. That is if your magazine allows.

I know its a different bullet but 130's out of my 7mm were 3300. Was there any pressure signs?
Do you have any imr 4831?

Hammer bullets don't care about seating depth as much as neck tension on the bullet that's why most of the guys on here are running 85 grain pills in the needsmoor, with no bullet jump worries and lightning speeds it's a fun round to shoot. Now I would load to what your max mag length is capable of and use a lee factory crimp die to set neck tension. You set the crimp die by running the round up to the end of the ram stroke and screwing the die down over the round till it just touches the case neck then go 1/8th of a turn, that is your starting point increase by 1/8th turn for more tension most of us don't usually go beyond 1/2 a turn. Also hammers like faster than normal burn rate powders.

Hammer bullets don't care about seating depth as much as neck tension on the bullet that's why most of the guys on here are running 85 grain pills in the needsmoor, with no bullet jump worries and lightning speeds it's a fun round to shoot. Now I would load to what your max mag length is capable of and use a lee factory crimp die to set neck tension. You set the crimp die by running the round up to the end of the ram stroke and screwing the die down over the round till it just touches the case neck then go 1/8th of a turn, that is your starting point increase by 1/8th turn for more tension most of us don't usually go beyond 1/2 a turn. Also hammers like faster than normal burn rate powders.
If Hammers are that sensitive to neck tension, that may have been one of my issues with the first load. l accidently ran my first bullet to deep so I just pulled it and ran it back through without resizing it first.

Are you using H4831SC if so nosler shows you can go as high as 65 grains with a 150 grain bullet I would do a ladder test load 1 at 63, 63.5, 64, 64.5, 65. When you hit close to an accuracy node 2 or 3 of these should be close together then you can tune your load from that info.

Are you using H4831SC if so nosler shows you can go as high as 65 grains with a 150 grain bullet I would do a ladder test load 1 at 63, 63.5, 64, 64.5, 65. When you hit close to an accuracy node 2 or 3 of these should be close together then you can tune your load from that info.
I'm using H4831, thanks!

Back