7mm SAUM Build

Greg G

So... I posted as new member that I had asthma and did not hunt anymore. Then les posted “Welcome Greg from Idaho. I hope you get to go on that guided hunt.” A bit down the post Modoc posted “Look into guided pig hunts on the central coast, they are plentiful down there.” So, I talked with my wife about it and she was enthusiastic about the idea. I said, “you can hunt too.” She was shy about that idea (she shoots very well). So, I told her I would build a rifle for her to hunt with and not to worry. I said I would load up lots of rounds. Then go to the range and she can shoot her new rifle. I said I would coach her so she could get on paper shooting 1 MOA shots at 100yds.

I then found an outfitter that has a two-day hunting school. As part of the schooling there is a pig hunt. To make her feel secure I copied down some of the revues. Some said they were first time hunters. Some other said they had never hunted before. All had a great time and got their pig.

Well, this got her thinking, and she liked the idea. So, I told her my plans and to the compute we went. I showed here barrels, stocks, cartridges and scopes.

I plan of striping my Palma rifle down to just the action. It's a Remington 700 SA action. Here is the build: Cartridge is 7mm RSAUM. The stock will be a laminated stock from Richards Microfit, Barrel is from Pac-Nor; Stainless steel #3, 5 groove 1:8 twist. I'll have Pac-Nor cut spirals on the bolt (she doesn't know that). This should put a smile on her face. She hasn't decided what scope she wants but she decided on a3-9x40. The barrel and reamers have been ordered. I'll try again tomorrow to order the stock.

It looks like the barrel and reamers will take about 8 weeks. I imagine the stock will too. At least that's my experience. I'll post more as the project gets moving along.​

Gday Greg
That’s great news
Les & modoc I bet have a extra smile on their faces like the rest of us

Thankyou for allowing us to be part of your journey so far & looking forward to a lot more & we love pictures if you don’t mind of course

Any questions don’t be afraid to ask as you go
From preformance of a specific projectile to suit your needs or loading help etc the guys here will as you’ve seen try & help where possible

cheers

Thank you, gentleman.
All I need to know is how to get photos off my iPhone and onto my computer. Then I can attract them to a post.
Sorry Guys I'm computer stupid. :oops:

This is awesome! I'd be so excited for this!
I am very excited.

I forgot that I have to have a gunsmith take some metal off the bolt face. I'm sure Remington uses the same bolt. (.473 & .534).
Tomorrow I'm going to call a gunshop in Glendale that has a full-service gunsmith. I'm hoping he/she (must be politically correct these dayso_O) does rebarreling, milling and drill and tap holes for a scope base (the base is for my M98 I'm converting to 8mm-'06). So far everything is going as planned. I got the extended internal magazine in the mail today. I matched it up the floor plate. It fits fine. I noticed I double order the floor plate. So, another one is coming in the mall. I'll call and ask if I can return it.

Oh, I forgot. I heard my gunsmith passed away a couple years back. That's why I am looking for a new gunsmith. The web site had favorable reviews.

Last edited:
Well, my friends, I have good news and bad news. The bad first. I will not be chambering my wife's rifle for 7mm RSAUM. The conversion takes a new bolt and modifications to the rails. I don't want to risk damaging the action. I thought about the 284 Winchester. But again, there is a small amount of modification to the rails.

The good news. I will continue the build as a 7mm-08. I will be posting how the build goes along here if that is ok.

I ran some numbers using the 140gr AH. It looks like the cartridge has plenty of power at and past 300yds.

So, things aren't that bad. Let the build begin!

Greg G. - I've been an advocate of the 7mm-08 for new hunters for a long time. I've convinced 6 people to buy one. All have been very happy with that round. The crazy thing is I have never owned one. My next build is going to be a 338 Federal.

The 7-08 is a fine cartridge and one I came to late in life. I have now built several for others and they are an excellent cartridge that surpassed my expectations when I first loaded for it.

Looking forward to your build

REgards

Yeah that proves my point. It’s very underrated. For most, it’s on the back shelf. The 7mm SAW was developed from it.

I am not sure what to say, other than it has been a big learning curve for me, and even more so for @BFD. Perhaps he’ll chime in with his experience that he referenced earlier in another post. He has the reamer, ordered the twin barrels, and arranged the smithing. I just sent him the money to cover my share.

Long story short, after he had some issues, I sent my barrel to him. He shoots far more than I do, and it allowed him to do more testing. Just recently I got the barrel back, but I have not yet screwed it back in the receiver because 1) that action is currently set up for hunting with a 308 win, and 2) I just don’t have time in life to devote to it at the moment. A couple months down the road I should, though. (Work stuff).

I can’t say it actually improves the 7-08 beyond not having to trim brass, but it sure is sexy!

Edit to add, I don’t want hijack Greg’s thread. Sorry! Perhaps we can do another thread or PMs or something.

I am not sure what to say, other than it has been a big learning curve for me, and even more so for @BFD. Perhaps he’ll chime in with his experience that he referenced earlier in another post. He has the reamer, ordered the twin barrels, and arranged the smithing. I just sent him the money to cover my share.

Long story short, after he had some issues, I sent my barrel to him. He shoots far more than I do, and it allowed him to do more testing. Just recently I got the barrel back, but I have not yet screwed it back in the receiver because 1) that action is currently set up for hunting with a 308 win, and 2) I just don’t have time in life to devote to it at the moment. A couple months down the road I should, though. (Work stuff).

I can’t say it actually improves the 7-08 beyond not having to trim brass, but it sure is sexy!

Edit to add, I don’t want hijack Greg’s thread. Sorry! Perhaps we can do another thread or PMs or something.
Wow! You fellers move quick. I haven’t even got to my 708AI experience post yet and I see this thread…🤣

@Greg G I will make a post here shortly called “The 708 & 708AI: Trails & Tribulations” which I hope shall be a primer to educate & help all who read it.

Back