8mm "Big Dog"?

RichCoyle

Hammer Time Executive member
I think I heard somewhere that Brian has an 8 mm Big Dog. I think that's what it's called anyway. If that is true what is his barrel length and what kind of velocity does he get with 198 grainers?

While I am asking, what action did he use?

Hey Rich! Went and looked up the load that we ran. We ran the 248g Hammer Hunter with N570. With fully formed brass we were able to run the 248's at 3200 fps with a top end load of 102g. Seated to an oal of 3.690". Barrel is 30" on a Defiance action. There are many diff improved designs on the Lapua so do not try and cross this data over to any other rifles.

For those who don't know this is a 338 Lap imp necked to 8mm.

While we are at it, we also built an 8mm Fat Girl. 300 Norma Mag imp necked to 8mm. Brian just used this in TX last Feb for nilgai. This cartridge ran a prototype 226g Hammer Bullet at 3200 fps with N565. Also on a Defiance action with a 26" barrel. col of 3.588" in Peterson 338 Norma mag brass.

And here is the "Heavy Fast" epitomized!! Holy cow! My right shoulder is completely trashed and the thought of pulling trigger on one of those is excruciating! My 300WM is tough enough on it.

The nilgai is about tough as it gets and bet it was historic in performance!

I'm with Les, it's time to get behind some 45 caliber Rockets! My scope has returned from Leopold.

And what's all this 8 mm skinny bullet nonsense. When are y'all going to step to a 375 rum and quit playing???

It's been a while since Farleg and I spoke about it but it's time we revisit the 375/500 Jeffries.🤔

Got news for you. You're going to shoot at wallaby with it within the first hour that you arrive while you have a beer in the other hand.

FROM A MOVING VEHICLE🤣🤣🤣😂😂😂🤣🤣

The beer is optional

36n? I think I know what you meant, but not sure.
30 Nosler necked up to .366 cal (9.3mm). I have been interested in the 9.3mm ever since we made the bullets. A couple of months ago I was on the phone with a good customer and it came up in the conversation that he had this reamer. I promptly ordered an 8" twist Pacnor barrel. We have an available Kelbly action and a Mesa Precision stock. Should have this ready to go in a couple weeks. This one is going to Aussie to test our new dangerous game line and do some long range work. @Farleg has a spot we can set up on a flood plane and hopefully get a shot about 700y. Just because.

G’day Steve
I realise it hasn’t been very long but any developments on your 36 Nosler? Any idea what sort of velocity you might achieve with that thing? I will be very interested in your results!

Also welcome to the 9.3 club! I hope you like it!

Back