Absolute Hammer Load Data

gltaylor

Staff member
gltaylor
Global Moderator

(originally posted 11/1/2021)

Many members have asked for load data to be posted on this Forum. Here is the most current Absolute Hammer Load Data provided by members.
This thread is ONLY for looking up Absolute Hammer Load Data. Please DO NOT post load data here and clutter up this thread. Post new load data on the Post Your Hammer Load thread.

ABSOLUTE HAMMER BULLETS

Loads for regular Hammer Bullets follow conventional loading charges for similar weight bullets in available

loading data.

Absolute Hammers are designed with an ogive that does not get engraved by the rifling. This results in

much lower engraving pressure and consistent BC from rifle to rifle. These bullets will not engage the lands

anywhere on the ogive. This results in greatly reduced pressure resulting in significant velocity gains

compared to regular bullets of the same weight. It also means that you cannot measure the cartridge base to

ogive – as the ogive does not touch the lands.

The resulting low engraving pressure makes it so that they do not line up with conventional data. Reloading

with Absolutes should be done by experienced hand loaders only, who are very good at reading pressure

signs.

These bullets require faster than normal powders for the cartridge and bullet weight. Load with extreme

caution.

Do Not transfer any of this data to other Hammer Bullets. This is Only for Absolute Hammers.

The following load data was developed and shared by our customers. Use at your own risk and work up to

final loads in your firearm carefully. Any damage or injury resulting from overloads are the sole responsibility

of the consumer/hand loader.

Preamble:

Action lengths, magazine capacities, chamber dimensions and freebore can be different for every rifle, even within the same cartridge/caliber. This can affect the potential COAL and CBTO for every rifle. Measure AND establish both the maximum COAL and CBTO for YOUR rifle before loading any bullet, including Hammers. Do not simply follow generic guidelines. Never Assume these loads will work in Your rifle. Always measure and verify!

Since the COAL and CBTO measurements are unique to each rifle listed, any changes to those dimensions can affect pressure. The loads listed were deemed safe in those specific rifles by the submitter of that load. Use standard safe reloading practices to work up a safe load in your rifle.

Last Updated 3/28/24

Attachments

• Absolute Hammer Post 3-28-24.pdf
    360.2 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:
123 gr ABSOLUTE HAMMER in 6.5 RPM

65.5 gr retumbo. 3115 fps. Wby mkv ti 2.0 version. 24" tube 1:8 twist. 3.340" coal

Hello gents, I'm new to Hammer bullets but just ordered some 172 absolutes that I am going to load in 7 prc. Any suggestions for a starting load? Thanks in advance...

Very little data on the 7 PRC yet.
Your nearest comparison is with the 7 Rem Mag. One load listed. Start low and work up.
Be sure to post your results (rifle and load info) when done. Others are starting to try the 7 PRC.
It appears something in the RL16/4350 burn range is good.
Just out of curiosity, what are you hunting and how far will you be shooting with such heavy bullets?
Oh, and welcome to the Forum!

Thanks for the info gltaylor. I do have some 4350 and RL17 that I will try, the RL17 works really well in my 325 WSM.
I will be hunting elk in western Montana. I'd like to be able to shoot out to 700 yds, as we hunt in some large burn areas that are pretty open.
Will definitely post my load info once I get something worthwhile. Thanks!!

gltaylor
Global Moderator

(originally posted 11/1/2021)

Many members have asked for load data to be posted on this Forum. Here is the most current Absolute Hammer Load Data provided by members.
This thread is ONLY for looking up Absolute Hammer Load Data. Please DO NOT post load data here and clutter up this thread. Post new load data on the Post Your Hammer Load thread.

ABSOLUTE HAMMER BULLETS

Loads for regular Hammer Bullets follow conventional loading charges for similar weight bullets in available

loading data.

Absolute Hammers are designed with an ogive that does not get engraved by the rifling. This results in

much lower engraving pressure and consistent BC from rifle to rifle. These bullets will not engage the lands

anywhere on the ogive. This results in greatly reduced pressure resulting in significant velocity gains

compared to regular bullets of the same weight. It also means that you cannot measure the cartridge base to

ogive – as the ogive does not touch the lands.

The resulting low engraving pressure makes it so that they do not line up with conventional data. Reloading

with Absolutes should be done by experienced hand loaders only, who are very good at reading pressure

signs.

These bullets require faster than normal powders for the cartridge and bullet weight. Load with extreme

caution.

Do Not transfer any of this data to other Hammer Bullets. This is Only for Absolute Hammers.

The following load data was developed and shared by our customers. Use at your own risk and work up to

final loads in your firearm carefully. Any damage or injury resulting from overloads are the sole responsibility

of the consumer/hand loader.

Last Updated 10/17/23
any loads for the 165 Gr. .375 Shock Hammer in a .375 Winchester?

That would be really helpful.
In doing research I am on www.xxl-reloading.com .

There are TWO STARTING loads that I am looking at, one for a 170 Gr. and a 175 GR. non - lead bullet. (links below)

https://www.xxl-reloading.com/.375-Win.-.375-170gr-AERO-SB-smax-11.00

https://www.xxl-reloading.com/.375-Win.-.375-175gr-CutEdge-Maximus

What is confusing, is the 170 Gr. load has LOWER VELOCITIES than the 175 GR Proj.
I was going to use one or the other, as a starting point, for load development, but the seemingly conflicting data is confusing.
The powder is AA 5744.

Can anyone provide an explanation for this?

I couldn't find much on the Aero-SB bullets. I will say other sources achieve 2400 fps with 200 grain bullets?

Cutting Edge data is about what I would expect from that weight bullet.

Bearing surface, bullet hardness etc will all affect end results.

I couldn't find much on the Aero-SB bullets. I will say other sources achieve 2400 fps with 200 grain bullets?

Cutting Edge data is about what I would expect from that weight bullet.

Bearing surface, bullet hardness etc will all affect end results.
Interesting, so a lighter bullet using same powder, being harder, can have slower velocities? that is an eye opener. SO..... starting with 170 gr start load with a different bullet, velocities for a 165 GR can produce better results?

Back