AH vs HH with suppressor

BryanF

Any thoughts or info on whether an AH would prevent additional pressure with a suppressor vs a HH or eld-x? Shot my 6.5 prc with factory eldx and noticed some sticky bolt/ejector marks with the suppressor (banish 30) but not with just the muzzle brake on. Didn’t get to load for it yet as I was just doing break in procedures. 24” 1-7.5” McGowen stainless steel barrel on a Remington stainless long magnum action.

I’m also interested in this topic for future loading of a 30nosler and 7prc. Thanks in advance!

Any thoughts or info on whether an AH would prevent additional pressure with a suppressor vs a HH or eld-x? Shot my 6.5 prc with factory eldx and noticed some sticky bolt/ejector marks with the suppressor (banish 30) but not with just the muzzle brake on. Didn’t get to load for it yet as I was just doing break in procedures. 24” 1-7.5” McGowen stainless steel barrel on a Remington stainless long magnum action.

I’m also interested in this topic for future loading of a 30nosler and 7prc. Thanks in advance!
Disclaimer I have zero experience with AH's so I'm sure most on this site are more qualified to take a shot at this. But here are a couple thoughts on it.
1) the faster burn rate powders typically used with AH's peak pressures happen closer to the action so may exhibit pressures signs sooner than slower burning powders hence the warning on the website about loading AH's

2) the increased velocity potential of AH's could be traded back to match or exceed HH velocities via less powder charge to lower pressures. But this may be counterproductive depending on intended use.

3) suppressor design will play a role in pressure issues. I have had to dial back 0.5-1.0% off several of my hottest loads to keep from getting a sticky bolt in several calibers once suppressed.

Back