Alaska Bear Guide with Spomer

While hunting coastal brown bear, you can usually find more open ground to hunt them in. Costal flats. But there are still pockets of brush and enough roll in the terrain where a close encounter can happen.

This hunt below is an example of a bear popping up at 20 yards. The guide and hunter were both looking for a bear that was spotted walking the coast, yet it was still a bit of a surprise for them.
No pistols on that trip, only rifles. Again one I filmed many years ago.

Kneedeep

Mike, totally agree if you do not have anything at ready prob in deep doo doo. That is the biggest tactical error not having spray in hand or at ready with firearm. No matter what you pick shoot the crap out of it before getting into critter country. I mean hundreds of rounds to have it an extension of your arm with muscle memory. Everything will be instinctive in crisis mode so it's gotta be mindless response. There is no aiming time, it's point shoot and that should be how practice is done. Develop instinctive shooting like a bare bow approach. I don't think anyone can be fully prepared for the ferocity of their charge.

Back