Alaska Brown Bear-182 HHT

widetrackjack

Hi All, I am a fairly new member here and just wanted to share a few photos of the bear I took this fall with my 300 Weatherby and the 182 HHT’s. I’m very impressed with the performance and inherent accuracy of this bullet. I think I could reload them into the cartridge case upside down and still out shoot most bullets! 😂 I shot this bear 3 times and had pass through’s on all three shots. Good luck to all of you on the remainder of your hunts!
Joe
1703094609907.jpeg
1703094690595.jpeg1703094733782.jpeg

Greetings, salutations, and awesome bear!
Now...you just can't be dropping a post with game of this magnitude without details! Distance shot, muzzle velocity, shot angles, bear's behavior after the shots! Your unique data will be added to our collective. Resistance in futile! :LOL:

Greetings, salutations, and awesome bear!
Now...you just can't be dropping a post with game of this magnitude without details! Distance shot, muzzle velocity, shot angles, bear's behavior after the shots! Your unique data will be added to our collective. Resistance in futile! :LOL:
😂
Oct 15,2023. Alaska Peninsula: The country around bear camp was so flat that we had to use an aluminum ladder to climb and gain elevation in order to glass for bears. We didn’t hike around much to scout for fear of leaving our scent everywhere and spooking the bears out of the area. On the 8th day of my hunt, I climbed up the ladder to glass and found this bear foraging 300 yards from camp. I whistled at my guide Hank, and he fetched my 300 Weatherby Thinhorn. From the top of the ladder, I took the first shot. The bear was 312 yards out. It was a broadside shot and I hit just behind the shoulder. A complete pass through with about a 3/4 inch exit hole. The bear went down and then got back up and headed straight towards us. I don’t believe the bear had any idea where we were, until the next shot, also broadside, but this time through the shoulders at 180 yards. Another complete pass through with a one inch exit hole. The last shot just before the bear made it into the willows was a broadside neck shot which left a 1-1.5” exit hole and finished the bear. We found the bear inside the willows about 15 feet from the last 182HHT Hammer strike.
Weatherby “Thinhorn”
300Wby mag.
182HHT/83gn-H4831/Fed215
3240fps
AB Raptor Suppressor
Cole-Tac Suppressor cover
Leupold VX-5
1703101586509.jpeg1703101951093.jpeg

😂
Oct 15,2023. Alaska Peninsula: The country around bear camp was so flat that we had to use an aluminum ladder to climb and gain elevation in order to glass for bears. We didn’t hike around much to scout for fear of leaving our scent everywhere and spooking the bears out of the area. On the 8th day of my hunt, I climbed up the ladder to glass and found this bear foraging 300 yards from camp. I whistled at my guide Hank, and he fetched my 300 Weatherby Thinhorn. From the top of the ladder, I took the first shot. The bear was 312 yards out. It was a broadside shot and I hit just behind the shoulder. A complete pass through with about a 3/4 inch exit hole. The bear went down and then got back up and headed straight towards us. I don’t believe the bear had any idea where we were, until the next shot, also broadside, but this time through the shoulders at 180 yards. Another complete pass through with a one inch exit hole. The last shot just before the bear made it into the willows was a broadside neck shot which left a 1-1.5” exit hole and finished the bear. We found the bear inside the willows about 15 feet from the last 182HHT Hammer strike.
Weatherby “Thinhorn”
300Wby mag.
182HHT/83gn-H4831/Fed215
3240fps
AB Raptor Suppressor
Cole-Tac Suppressor cover
Leupold VX-5
View attachment 4676View attachment 4677
OMFG! Bro, EPIC and unorthodox but awesome hunt story! A Daggum ladder? 🤩🤩🤩

Yes sir! We strapped it to the floats on the Supercub and flew it in to a lake nearby and then carried it to camp. It’s the only way to see over the tall grass and Willow trees without moving around a lot and leaving scent. A tree stand without the tree! 😀
That’s experience thinking on this ladder. I mean, whoever thought to bring that brought it from experience. Nobody thinks or wants to carry a ladder in a trip. However, this ladder thinking person was a godsend to your success.

What an awesome technique! What an awesome Bear!! Congratulations. Being a bear hunter, I know how much they use their noses. Hunting from a tree stand for the past 7 years, it is just amazing to see them use their nose. When using spot and stalk, I have had a wind shift that took my scent to bear at 500 plus yards and they are off like a rocket! People would be amazed at how many bears are in the woods if they could observe them like a skilled bear hunter. I am in awe of that guide who took into account scent trails. One of our worst years of bear hunting was the first year of COVID. Our tree stand was visited by several hikers that left scent everywhere! We had them on trail cams. It took about 10 days for the bears to come back after the hikers invaded our territory. We do lots of things to eliminate scent before we hike into our stand.

Last edited:
Gday widetrackjack
Do you have any pictures of vitals or the exit entry of the meat or hide ( flesh side of hide not hair side ) & if not all cool
Also could you explain a little more on positioning of those first 2 shots were they in top 1/2 or bottom 1/2 of the bear

Cheers

Gday widetrackjack
Do you have any pictures of vitals or the exit entry of the meat or hide ( flesh side of hide not hair side ) & if not all cool
Also could you explain a little more on positioning of those first 2 shots were they in top 1/2 or bottom 1/2 of the bear

Cheers

Back