Another Oregonian

Santiam

Hi Guys,
Greetings from the center of the Willamette Valley, Oregon. I don’t normally do social media, but you guys have set a far better bar than any I’ve seen and enjoy a great culture. So, I’ll share my excuse for joining. I hadn’t deer hunted since early high school but I started deer hunting again in 2018, when my step-son invited me to hunt blacktail in the Coast Range. The man’s a mountain goat! But taught me about hunting blacktail there and started me re-loading, which has helped tons. I shoot two different 30-06s. The first is a Browning High Power Safari grade that Dad bought each of us, my twin and me, when we turned 12- that’s the age he got his sons deer rifles. The other is Dad’s 1947 Winchester Model 70, that Dad bought when he came home from the war, that my oldest brother inherited, that I inherited after him. Well, these Hammers like my ‘06s! A friend who’s a tremendous lifetime hunter of deer and elk all around here told me about them. I got some Power Hunters for last fall’s season, but didn’t get any shots off. I’ll post my ladders. I’m thrilled! For my Browning, I have it zeroed in at 100yds in the Power Hunter. But then that friend told me about the HHT. Well, it took me forever for some reason to find the HammerTime forum, but I did (by now I think I’ve read 75% of the “new forum”, keenly interested in the bullet development and shared load data) and, nearly out of PHs, ordered HHTs. I did the HHT’s ladder yesterday and can’t wait for the time (will have to be next week) to load up and sight in. The scope on my Browning is a Leupold with a duplex reticle and is perfect for the timber. The scope on the W70 is a Riton with a range finding reticle, perfect for longer shots (proven). So my plan is to keep the PHs for the Browning and the HHTs for the Winchester. The only trick now will be to find that Pacific Ghost, aka a blacktail! (I’ll post my ladders now.)

Welcome to the forum Santiam. The 30-06 is my favorite cartridge. I have a lot of load data for it, however none with the HHT's at this point. What weight bullet are you looking at? I be glad to help out any way I can.

Regards

Welcome to the forum Santiam. The 30-06 is my favorite cartridge. I have a lot of load data for it, however none with the HHT's at this point. What weight bullet are you looking at? I be glad to help out any way I can.

Regards
Thanks! I got the 154g HHT. I fumbled around enough just now to get my loads posted, but would love to see yours, too. thanks for the offer. I have the 150 Power Hunter (PH) worked up for both my 06s, and the HHT just for the Winchester. Posted all 3 loads on the reloading thread. Beforehand, I scoured the forum for -06 data. Not quite so much as, say, the 300RUM or 6.5CM! So, I hope those posts help someone, although I also didn't see anyone using IMR 4451. I had used H4350 but couldn't find it when I ran out a couple years ago and Hodgen offered this as "very similar". Next week I'll shoot this HHT load for group and sight in. For some reason, I"m pretty optimistic it'll work!

Always hopeful, aren't we! I'll do the 119A for the first time in about a week and a half.
Im not going to be picky thats for sure :)

I did the 119A many years ago and am planning on it again once I burn my points in Eastern Oregon. Thats a great tag to extend the western general season. Good luck.

Thanks! I got the 154g HHT. I fumbled around enough just now to get my loads posted, but would love to see yours, too. thanks for the offer. I have the 150 Power Hunter (PH) worked up for both my 06s, and the HHT just for the Winchester. Posted all 3 loads on the reloading thread. Beforehand, I scoured the forum for -06 data. Not quite so much as, say, the 300RUM or 6.5CM! So, I hope those posts help someone, although I also didn't see anyone using IMR 4451. I had used H4350 but couldn't find it when I ran out a couple years ago and Hodgen offered this as "very similar". Next week I'll shoot this HHT load for group and sight in. For some reason, I"m pretty optimistic it'll work!
I bet it'll work too.

I mostly shoot Vihtavuori powder, N540, N550 and N560 depending on bullet weight. I have shot the 151 Absolute hammers to over 3300 quite effortlessly. I don't recall the velocity for the 124's and the 137's but they were stepping out. I have some 154 HHT's I mean to try but have got sidelined working on loads for my 300 H&H (I love old cartridges).

Regards

Im not going to be picky thats for sure :)

I did the 119A many years ago and am planning on it again once I burn my points in Eastern Oregon. Thats a great tag to extend the western general season. Good luck.
Thanks!

Regards
Mr. Mountainman is also Mr.06! He has more 06's than most have total rifles!

Hi Guys,
Greetings from the center of the Willamette Valley, Oregon. I don’t normally do social media, but you guys have set a far better bar than any I’ve seen and enjoy a great culture. So, I’ll share my excuse for joining. I hadn’t deer hunted since early high school but I started deer hunting again in 2018, when my step-son invited me to hunt blacktail in the Coast Range. The man’s a mountain goat! But taught me about hunting blacktail there and started me re-loading, which has helped tons. I shoot two different 30-06s. The first is a Browning High Power Safari grade that Dad bought each of us, my twin and me, when we turned 12- that’s the age he got his sons deer rifles. The other is Dad’s 1947 Winchester Model 70, that Dad bought when he came home from the war, that my oldest brother inherited, that I inherited after him. Well, these Hammers like my ‘06s! A friend who’s a tremendous lifetime hunter of deer and elk all around here told me about them. I got some Power Hunters for last fall’s season, but didn’t get any shots off. I’ll post my ladders. I’m thrilled! For my Browning, I have it zeroed in at 100yds in the Power Hunter. But then that friend told me about the HHT. Well, it took me forever for some reason to find the HammerTime forum, but I did (by now I think I’ve read 75% of the “new forum”, keenly interested in the bullet development and shared load data) and, nearly out of PHs, ordered HHTs. I did the HHT’s ladder yesterday and can’t wait for the time (will have to be next week) to load up and sight in. The scope on my Browning is a Leupold with a duplex reticle and is perfect for the timber. The scope on the W70 is a Riton with a range finding reticle, perfect for longer shots (proven). So my plan is to keep the PHs for the Browning and the HHTs for the Winchester. The only trick now will be to find that Pacific Ghost, aka a blacktail! (I’ll post my ladders now.)
Greetings from Central Oregon. Welc aboard

G'day from Australia,

@Santiam sitting here on the other side of the world it's seems like every American cuts their teeth on a .30-06 or is assigned one per person.

I think .308 rifles would outnumber.30-06 rifles in Australia. Possibly because the 7.62x51 was our military round so the .308 became popular here

Welcome aboard.

Greetings from Central Oregon. Welc aboard
Thanks, Tomg. I love getting to Central Oregon! Got as far as the Cascades this week for a few days, looking for a blacktail. Legend has it they actually live there, though we saw only one in 3 days. But the forest was spectacularly beautiful.

G'day from Australia,

@Santiam sitting here on the other side of the world it's seems like every American cuts their teeth on a .30-06 or is assigned one per person.

I think .308 rifles would outnumber.30-06 rifles in Australia. Possibly because the 7.62x51 was our military round so the .308 became popular here

Welcome aboard.
Thanks, CBH. I'm sure you're right. I think that's why the '06 was so popular here. I know for sure it's why my dad got one when he returned- I heard him say so many times when guys would ask what & why.

Back