Anyone have QL Data for 338/06 AI or 338/06 HGT for the 213 HH?

RevJim

Hammer Time Executive member
I'm not so much after any powder data, though it would be nice, as I am what speeds can had with the 213HH in the A.I. in a 24" barrel? I'm just taking a SWAG at 2850 as I could just about get that with the 200NBT from the Std. 338/06. I hope I can end up with 2900fps. All input is appreciated.

A friend on another forum had QL Data for the 338/06 HGT and the 213 (same same basically) which did show several powders getting right at 2830-2865fps. Way plenty for sure. Again, I don't shoot at unwounded game past 300 anymore. The place I'm looking at for cow elk said they get most shots from 200-300yds which is perfect.

I'm not so much after any powder data, though it would be nice, as I am what speeds can had with the 213HH in the A.I. in a 24" barrel? I'm just taking a SWAG at 2850 as I could just about get that with the 200NBT from the Std. 338/06. I hope I can end up with 2900fps. All input is appreciated.
QL will do you no good with Hammers

RevJim,
Look in the Hammer Hunter load data. Quite a bit on the 338-06 and 213s. Note: the 338 Sherman is a 338/06AI. You can use that data for powders and starting.
Will the Sherman not have more capacity than a 338-06AI? I imagine it’s based off the 270 Win for a parent case like most of his long action rounds, with the shoulder changed and virtually all case taper removed. I think I’d start a 338-06AI load below a starting load of a 338 Sherman, to be safe.

That's fine. Better to be safe than sorry. Actually, there's not a big difference in total capacity between the 06 and the 270 based cartridges. Much of the difference is used in neck length - a little improvement in total case capacity. For most longer cartridges, the total capacity increase with an Ack Imp shoulder is only on the order of 5-7%.
My main preference in AI 'ing a case is limiting/stopping case growth and the need to trim.

Plus, just the "looks" of an Ackley case or similar is just pleasing to me, ha. Thanks for the info guys, its much appreciated. I like the looks of the Varget load on the Sherman, understanding I would dial it back to start. I need to mention that I have been getting great results with Big Game behind the Barnes 210TTSX. I think I will try it with the 213 just cause I have more of it than Varget right now! I use most of my powder supply in simple load workup. I shoot enough of my choice loads/loads out to 300 to know where they hit, etc. I then wait closer to hunting season and load up anywhere from 20-50 hunting loads. I still have some of my original 50 1996 African loads for the 35 Whelan AI/250X! ha Boy they were killer deluxe! I converted that old Whelan with a 24" 358 Norma Mag. shot a few DoubleTap 180TTSX factory out of, then had to turn around and sell it and others in a financial crisis, ha. It had lots of promise of (a) being a hotdog killer and (b) being me being the only guy in the elk mountains with a 358NM! lol It was a tad harder to hang onto than any 338/06 or Imp.! I really like the looks of that 213 HH, even for a 200yd shot! :)

Last edited:
It has been my personal experience that I find signs of pressure a good bit below where QL says max pressure should be with the Hammers. This is with the AH and HH bullets. QL is usually about 150 fps low on estimated velocities for those AH and HH bullets. QL is just a general guide for me now with Hammers....don't trust it to just go out and start with a stiff load that 'should' be ok....

I now back off further to start my load ladders and then test in 1% powder increments.

I hear you Sir, I have found the same thing, even with other makes of bullets. I too just look at it as a guideline, especially for pressure, but trust a Chronograph more, ha. But I really do want to thank you because this was my concern; trying to find a safe starting point and a velocity limit to expect, for the 213 HH in this 338/06 AI especially. I appreciate it Pard...and my eyes and fingers really do too! :)

Last edited:
Back