As Dak would say....

Ought 6

Hammer Time Executive member
......If he were playing instead of watching "Here We Go!" I got my first Hammer bullets today. I'll be working up loads for .308 Winchester, 338-06AI, .338WM and 35 Whelen. I'm going to start with the .338-06, the bullet is the 186gr Shock hammer. Powders I am starting with are Varget and A2460. My current hunting load for the 338-06AI is a 185gr Hornady CX leaving my 22in barrel at 3080fps. Any and all advise, info or insight gladly accepted, I'm brand new to these bullets. I'll post my results in this thread.
20240122_210138.jpg

Last edited:
BFD rivals you in "neatness counts". 50yrs of hoarding reloading "stuff" seems to take over the area. I suppose a small dumpster cleanout would help?🤷🏻‍♂️
THINGS HAVE PLACES AND THE PLACES NEED THE THINGS! THINGS HAVE PLACES AND THE PLACES NEED THE THINGS! THINGS HAVE PLACES AND THE PLACES NEED THE THINGS! THINGS HAVE PLACES AND THE PLACES NEED THE THINGS! THINGS HAVE PLACES AND THE PLACES NEED THE THINGS! THINGS HAVE PLACES AND THE PLACES NEED THE THINGS! THINGS HAVE PLACES AND THE PLACES NEED THE THINGS!

.338-06 load with the 186gr PH, any thoughts on how relevant my loads with other bullets will be? I have good loads worked up for my rifle with 185gr Hornady CX and 185gr Barnes TTSX.

Last edited:
Hodgdon BL-C2 on the Barnes A2520 on the Hornady CX. I guess what Im trying to ask is are my loads with those 185gr bullets going to be good reference points or do the Hammer bullets behave too differently.
You could certainly start with a work-up based on those previous work-ups with different bullets. If you had pressure signs with those powders before you reached case fill, it might be a good place to start. Those are pretty fast powders for -06 based cartridges, but I understand the calibers over 308 tend to use faster powders due to increased surface area for “pushing”. I like Varget in that range, but if any of those fill the case before pressure signs, I’d probably try 2460 on your list.

Back