Barrel Cleaning

BFD

Hammer Time Executive member
I know this is like chili recipes, but there is still a lot of frustration of some to get a bore clean or we wouldn’t keep seeing it pop up all the time. Here is a recipe that will show noticeable results. It’s more a work smart & hard, not just hard approach. Less mechanical and more chemical & time to get it done.

1. Foam the bore, let sit 10 mins then foam again without cleaning out the first application. Let sit overnight. The foam stays foamy longer on last application doing this. (Shooters Choice/Wipeout foam)
2. Dry patch one time the next morning to admire the rainbow 🌈 of fouling colors.
3. Flush patch bore with 91% alcohol. Bore still soaked with alcohol, do 20 passes with bronze brush also soaked in alcohol.
4. Flush patch bore again with alcohol to remove the gunk the bore brush provided. Dry patch till patches come out dry. (3-4 patches)
5. Check with Borescope. If there is any remaining copper it will be much easier to remove. One additional foam application for 1 hour usually gets it.

First Round/Clean Bore Consistency steps:

6. Degrease the bore with some type of degreaser. K&N oil filter cleaner works great. Soak a patch and short stroke it the length of the bore. Patch DRY. Maybe 3 patches before they get too hard to pass through the bore.
7. Embed dry graphite into a patch. Case neck graphite till you buy bulk graphite from Amazon.
8. Wrap a brush with large 12ga or similar patch and remove graphite from chamber. (Leaving graphite in bore)
9. Go shoot

I initially recommended Lock Ease for graphite. The liquid squirt bottle form takes to long to dry. I tested a barrel and then an open air patch sitting in a container. Took 12 days for the patch to dry out! The aerosol versions dry within a day, but I’ve gone to straight dry graphite. It can be messy, so dipping a caliber size bore mop into a bottle of graphite and put straight through the bore guide is recommended. OR, I have pre loaded patches by mixing 177 cal BBs in graphite shaking in a prescription bottle.

Back