Barrel Tuning:

HARPERC

Staff member
Usually a couple of ways to achieve something.

I've forever not been one to try a bunch of different loads, rather load to what meets my needs velocity, ES, etc. If it doesn't perform experimenting with a little for end pressure will usually fix what I see on a target.

Barrel Tuners seem to be more prevalent these days, not that expensive compared to components, or not being able to get a particular component. Saves barrel wear, and overall a workable concept.

Thoughts?

Eric Cortina sells them...
I think the question comes down to personal preference, do you want your hand load dependant on the barrel tuner or just your rifle?

(if i understand barrel tuners correctly?)

Eric Cortina sells them...
I think the question comes down to personal preference, do you want your hand load dependant on the barrel tuner or just your rifle?

(if i understand barrel tuners correctly?)
I'm thinking the tuner-such as the "BOSS" is part of the rifle?

Since I haven't yet got into the suppressor game, I'm wondering if putting one on the end of your rifle messes with barrel harmonics?
I have a suppressor in "jail" right now but I might be a year before I can personally try one.

Carl,
Yes, tuners work.
People have used "bloop tubes" and other barrel tuners in 22 rimfire BR and score shooting for years. It started there because (as you know), you can't change/adjust powder charges in rimfires. You shoot several lots of bullets till you find the best in your rifle, then buy a bunch of that lot of Eley, Federal, etc..
Once you get that lot, you change the tuner to get the last little bit out of your rifle.

People started doing the same thing in center fire a few years ago.
You tune the powder charge to the best primer/powder/bullet combo for your rifle, then eek out the last little bit with the tuner.

Tuners will not take an average grouping rifle and turn it into a BR quality shooter. At best, they may shrink a group by 1/4 to 1/3", depending upon the rifle.

You need to do most of the load development work in the traditional manner. The tuner only polishes it off.

Another use, often overlooked, is if you shoot factory ammo. Just like the .22 rimfire, shoot several brands/bullet weights and find what your rifle likes best. Then use the tuner to get the best your rifle will do with that lot/brand.

If you're a short range BR or 1000yd F Class BR shooter 1/4" can make a huge difference. For us mere mortals, not shooting for score against phenomenal other shooters, it's just a toy to tinker with. I use one (1) Cortina tuner and have looked at a Harrell's. They Do help. Is it worth fooling with? Your call, depending upon how well your rifle shoots and what your minimum expectations are🤔.

Carl,
Yes, tuners work.
People have used "bloop tubes" and other barrel tuners in 22 rimfire BR and score shooting for years. It started there because (as you know), you can't change/adjust powder charges in rimfires. You shoot several lots of bullets till you find the best in your rifle, then buy a bunch of that lot of Eley, Federal, etc..
Once you get that lot, you change the tuner to get the last little bit out of your rifle.

People started doing the same thing in center fire a few years ago.
You tune the powder charge to the best primer/powder/bullet combo for your rifle, then eek out the last little bit with the tuner.

Tuners will not take an average grouping rifle and turn it into a BR quality shooter. At best, they may shrink a group by 1/4 to 1/3", depending upon the rifle.

You need to do most of the load development work in the traditional manner. The tuner only polishes it off.

Another use, often overlooked, is if you shoot factory ammo. Just like the .22 rimfire, shoot several brands/bullet weights and find what your rifle likes best. Then use the tuner to get the best your rifle will do with that lot/brand.

If you're a short range BR or 1000yd F Class BR shooter 1/4" can make a huge difference. For us mere mortals, not shooting for score against phenomenal other shooters, it's just a toy to tinker with. I use one (1) Cortina tuner and have looked at a Harrell's. They Do help. Is it worth fooling with? Your call, depending upon how well your rifle shoots and what your minimum expectations are🤔.
Spot on.
So I had the BOSS system on 3 Browning A-Bolts in the mid early 2000s. At the time Browning was marketing that a guy could just load to an acceptable level of pressure/velocity goal and then let the BOSS tune it all. This sorta worked, but I found it took more dilly dallying with the BOSS adjustments. At one point I called Browning and was told the device works on a continuum from 0 to adjusted quite far out. I reverted back to tuning by load development and then tweaking by BOSS.
However, Browning discontinued the BOSS and I didn’t get a definitive answer as to why by Browning. I suspect it was due to majority of people/hunting rifle consumers didn’t want to mess with it, and lots aren’t super nerd handloaders precision nuts. 🤣

I swear I could see the two round groups change by turning by 2/10ths increments as recommended. However, fast forward 20yrs and the Hornady pod cast about 30rnd groups for ultimate determination of the true MOA capability of a particular rifle indicates all the changes by tuning could just fall into part of the whole large sample grouping of the gun. Kinda mind screw with all that.

My take is do whatever gives a guy confidence with his rig. The 5” of gray matter between the ears is the most important part of marksmanship, and it might be of more importance if a guy’s gray matter is tuned!

GLTalor's experience and mine are definitely different.

I had a guaranteed 2 minute rifle without changing any load. I just adjusted the muzzle brake down and was shooting one inch groups at 300 yards.

On another rifle that was about a 2 minute rifle. I dialed it down to where it would consistently do. 11/16" at 100 yd.

Back