Best grain bullet for elk. 7mm PRC

Ndravetsky

Been reloading and shooting a 7mm RM for years. Recently moved into an area with great elk opportunity. My rem mag doesn’t have the twist for shooting heavier copper bullets. I recently purchased a Bergara b-14. It’s the HMR with 22 in carbon barrel 1:8 twist. I’ve been reading folks are having better accuracy with the 153 hht over the 170 hht. My first thought was the 170 but my try the 162 hht. Any opinions or experience? I have new ADG brass, h4831 n-560 and 7828. Any suggestions on neck tension? I was thinking 0.003.

Been reloading and shooting a 7mm RM for years. Recently moved into an area with great elk opportunity. My rem mag doesn’t have the twist for shooting heavier copper bullets. I recently purchased a Bergara b-14. It’s the HMR with 22 in carbon barrel 1:8 twist. I’ve been reading folks are having better accuracy with the 153 hht over the 170 hht. My first thought was the 170 but my try the 162 hht. Any opinions or experience? I have new ADG brass, h4831 n-560 and 7828. Any suggestions on neck tension? I was thinking 0.003.
It’s my opinion anything over .003 NT gets into diminished returns by venturing into the plastic deformation of brass. Ok, more than opinion since it happened to me on a particular cartridge. Bullet totally wiggling in the case at .004 NT.

One test of one sample by a poster here saw no more benefit of NT beyond .002-.003. IIRC

It’s my opinion anything over .003 NT gets into diminished returns by venturing into the plastic deformation of brass. Ok, more than opinion since it happened to me on a particular cartridge. Bullet totally wiggling in the case at .004 NT.

One test of one sample by a poster here saw no more benefit of NT beyond .002-.003. IIRC
Thank you. I’ve always crimped before but bought a FL die with neck bushing. I guess I’m over thinking bullets moving under recoil.

My favorite process for choosing a bullet is ignorant prejudice. Couple years ago I did the 7 mm and bought three or four different sample pack weights from Steve. I liked the look of the 131 grain so I bought them.

Now that there are the 132 grain tipped, I switched to them. I am delighted with the accuracy and performance on game.

My favorite process for choosing a bullet is ignorant prejudice. Couple years ago I did the 7 mm and bought three or four different sample pack weights from Steve. I liked the look of the 131 grain so I bought them.

Now that there are the 132 grain tipped, I switched to them. I am delighted with the accuracy and performance on game.
Thanks. I ran barnes 145 LRX for the past 10 years in my 7 RM. Dropped everything I hit with them. My friend turned me on to the hammers and now that I have a fast enough twist in the PRC i just bought, I am set on the 170 hht. Then sometimes I over think it too much I guess. My goal is to just be consistently on target and have humane kills when hunting.

@Ndravetsky I had a hard time getting the 170hht to group under an inch. I reached out to Steve, and he recommended trying the 153 hht due to concerns that my prc may not be stabilizing them well. Just shot a 0.3MOA group today with the 153 hht today.

I was getting 3050 fps with the 170hht with H1000. I saw 3210 fps with the 153hht with H1000.
That’s interesting. You are the second person I’ve heard that from. I guess maybe the 1:8 twist doesn’t matter with the length of the 170 bullet.

Gday ndravetsky
Welcome from down under if I haven’t welcomed you eith

Here’s a quick look @ some figures I’ve just done & @Wheels you maybe interested in this

Not a big drop down in weight imo you’ll end up with better results going a 153 over the 170 as those pills are getting long & not only relevant to hammers as this goes with other brands also

& my thoughts if one wants to go those bigger pills I’d have a lot extra twist than advertised & once again not specific to hammers only

On this muppets tables below
73CE3E54-AB27-4FFE-A3D4-542ADE6BAEEB.jpeg
& care of @dukebh40 listed velocity & assuming the 162
The 153 ticks more boxes so if a heavy option is one is searching for id go the 153

Only assumption as no data on those pills with actual results & Jm2cw

Cheers

This is total conjecture, as I’ve not started load workups for my 7 PRC yet. But I’m thinking the 153 could be pushed to 3300+. The 6.5 PRC can push the 125 at 3300-3400, so I’m thinking the 7 should be able to get close to that with the 153. Not sure what powder. N560, Retumbo????

Gday ndravetsky

Here’s a quick look @ some figures I’ve just done & @Wheels you maybe interested in this

Not a big drop down in weight imo you’ll end up with better results going a 153 over the 170 as those pills are getting long & not only relevant to hammers as this goes with other brands also

& my thoughts if one wants to go those bigger pills I’d have a lot extra twist than advertised & once again not specific to hammers only

View attachment 6265
The 153 ticks more boxes so if a heavy option is one is searching for id go the 153

Cheers
Currently in using rl26 and im getting any 2950 fps. I’m again trying rl22 to see what speed I get out of the 170hht.

I also used h1000 and I wasn’t happy with the bullet group.

When I did my ballistics it was pretty much the same as the 153. As long as I get 3200 fps out of the 153.

Im shooting a 22 inch barrel so I loose a little speed. I’m a 1-8 twist.

I’m getting about 2950 with my 170 and I would like them to go quicker. Thats a big jump down to the 153. What about the 162?
Thanks for the information. I’ve come to the conclusion that I’m going to try the 162 HHT. If I can get them over 3000 FPS I’d be happy. Trying to determine my starting charge. I’ve got N560 H4831 and some 7828

Gday ndravetsky

View attachment 6265

Cheers
Thank you for the info.

Currently in using rl26 and im getting any 2950 fps. I’m again trying rl22 to see what speed I get out of the 170hht.

I also used h1000 and I wasn’t happy with the bullet group.

When I did my ballistics it was pretty much the same as the 153. As long as I get 3200 fps out of the 153.

Im shooting a 22 inch barrel so I loose a little speed. I’m a 1-8 twist.
Thanks for the info. I’m pretty set on the 162 but have considered the 153. I have a 1:8 twist with a 24 in barrel. Internally I’m fighting the bullet weight because I switch from a slow twist 7 RM to a PRC so I could run heavier bullets. In the end the deer don’t care what size bullet I use. Lol

I have a screaming accurate load for my 28 Nosler using the old 177g HH, but I'm sad to see that Hammer no longer sells that bullet. I have the 177's going 3150 but I will eventually have to drop down to the 170HH or lighter.
After seeing Hammers in action I think bullet weight even for elk will not be a big issue. The 153's should work fine, especially with .3 MOA accuracy. If you can get the 162's to group that well then stepping up might be worth it, especially if longer distance shooting is in your plans.
Welcome to Hammers Ndravetsky!

Back