Best way to find node with Hammer bullets

AZhntr

I normally use the "OCW" ladder test in increments of .3gr in order to come up with my powder charge. Would you do the same with Hammer bullets or is there another way? Ive heard that you shoot single rounds in increments of .5gr until you find pressure then back it off .5-1g. Is this the best way? What if backing it off .5-1gr from pressure isnt an accurate node? Thanks for all of your help!!

There is a lot to unpack here.

Hammers too expensive for that OCW thing. :LOL:
If you are loading for your 300WM you should go .5gr increments to see the differences.
You can do single round till pressure, but hopefully you are popping the primers and checking primer pocket size for pressure and not just going till you hit a stiff bolt and back down. If you hit a sticky bolt, you have been in over pressure already.
When you find that point before over pressure then check that for accuracy and reduce .5gr till you see it. If you have to go more than 1.5gr switch powders. Or you can go the opposite direction and find accuracy, but know your brass life will suffer. I don't mind the hunting rounds having a bit more pressure to them. If I only get a few reloads before the primer pockets are loose, I'm good with that.

I load 1 each in 1% powder weight increments until I see signs of pressure (ejector mark, head growth, sticky bolt, etc) and then go back 2% and load another (I fill vials with powder charges in 1% increments ahead of time and seat/crimp bullets at the range as needed). If the second shot is sub MOA, I load a third. If it’s still sub MOA, I call it good. Seems like a pretty reliable method for me so far…..with the caveat that I’ve chosen the correct powder to match the Hammer

Just followed this method on Friday and ended up with a 3 shot group measuring 0.4” in my 270 WSM with 122gr HHT over RL16. These are 1/2” squares:

IMG_2011.png

Here is a 4 or 5 grain ladder (I can't remember exactly) in 1 grain increments as I was looking for pressure. As you can see I shot a 1" group with a spread of 5 grains. Find pressure, back it down to a safe load (taking into account temperature stability of powder and temps you will be hunting in) and load up 5 to test. Most of my accuracy changes have come from the amount of crimp applied. Prior to hammers....I almost never crimped my rifle cartridges. Now I crimp all my hammers.

Attachments

• 00-3CX5xWX_hRAmWiLJ2NtAukQrCTYzPr-h6g9-uF-jZO713MBnmdC-PcnB6urQICPYV7ntXQOewWgszVPDOQPWWw.jpeg
    00-3CX5xWX_hRAmWiLJ2NtAukQrCTYzPr-h6g9-uF-jZO713MBnmdC-PcnB6urQICPYV7ntXQOewWgszVPDOQPWWw.jpeg
    45 KB · Views: 12
I load 1 each in 1% powder weight increments until I see signs of pressure (ejector mark, head growth, sticky bolt, etc) and then go back 2% and load another (I fill vials with powder charges in 1% increments ahead of time and seat/crimp bullets at the range as needed). If the second shot is sub MOA, I load a third. If it’s still sub MOA, I call it good. Seems like a pretty reliable method for me so far…..with the caveat that I’ve chosen the correct powder to match the Hammer

Just followed this method on Friday and ended up with a 3 shot group measuring 0.4” in my 270 WSM with 122gr HHT over RL16. These are 1/2” squares:

View attachment 4540
I will do exactly as you guys said and give it a try...Also im starting with virgin Lapua brass and will be running a mandrel through the necks that will give me .003 neck tension. I normally do .002 but I wont be crimping so I want the added tension. Will this be fine?

I will also add that shooting 3-5 shots, working up to pressure with 3 or 4 different powders has been the easy button for me. One or two of these powders generally stand out in velocity and accuracy.

I didn’t use this process with cup and core. Load development for the most part is much easier now.

Good luck
Kneedeep

My rudimentary method is pretty similar to several people above. Start with a safe charge and shoot single shots until I find pressure signs. The additional thing I do it replicate my shots on a target with me on the bench. I've seen a few loads where the ladder will shoot tight, usually climbing, and then have a POI shift as you leave the node. If you have several shots after the shift that group before pressure signs, then go towards the top end of the original node. If shots after the POI shift come back into the group, then go to the middle or early part of the node. First scenario is a second node that is likely over pressure, second scenario is the node deteriorating. If shots come back in or they group tight enough that they're overlapping, it can be hard to remember the sequence if you're not replicating your target or recording. Honestly, this is just my head canon and more experienced people could probably point out several things that are off in this approach. But it's worked well enough for me to start development and saves bullets over traditional 3 or 5 shot ladders. I'd rather shoot 5's with a few charges I've already seen some evidence of accuracy with rather than a bunch of 3's where the only reason I'd use the low end charges is if they're the only thing that will group. At that point I'd probably try another powder rather than leave 200-300 fps on the table.

Last edited:
Is it possible to find a node between two ( or more) shots in the pressure ladder that are closer together vertically?

Don't understand your question?
It is common to shoot up through 5-6 shots increasing your charge by 1 grain at each step, and ending up with a total group of nearly an inch or so total.
If that's the case. Drop back a grain from pressure and shoot a group of 3. See what it looks like.
Make your powder or crimp adjustments from that point.

I will also add that shooting 3-5 shots, working up to pressure with 3 or 4 different powders has been the easy button for me. One or two of these powders generally stand out in velocity and accuracy.

I didn’t use this process with cup and core. Load development for the most part is much easier now.

Good luck
Kneedeep
This is exactly my way too. Hit the range with a few powders. 3 rounds each .5gr increments.
Check pressures and see what's looking promising in the precision group department.
Then it's on to 5rnds to confirm the best looking performers.

I want at least 2 viable powders and 3 if I can get them. Powder shortages have me paranoid! Seems like I'm always running out of something and then it's out of stock for a long while.

Back