BFD chambered target rifle

aratliff

Hammer Time Executive member
This is not going to be a Hammer shooter, but it was referenced elsewhere, so I figure I should share a picture.

For some inexplicable reason, I wanted an obnoxious paper/steel shooter. Thanks to @BFD, a bleeding—nay, hemorrhaging!—checking account, and some patience, I now have it.

American Rifle Co Coup de Grâce action in their Xylo chassis. Barrel chambered in .308 win came from BFD’s build stash he never got around to using, and required some minor smithing. Tossed a 2-stage TT special and adjusted the hanger to where it is buttery smooth. It really is a dream!

Topped it with the only FFP scope (need to swap out the mount) I have on hand yesterday. Slowly breaking in barrel as I do other stuff around the house, but so far, I am tickled pink…or red, as it were. Go Dawgs! (Obligatory cheer to satisfy the boss).

Currently it exceeds 21lbs. Eventually I will add more weight to it so impacts can be spotted.

This is all for fun and enjoyment. Aside from sucking as a shooter, I am too much of an introvert to want to have to leave the property and go compete somewhere. With hardly any recoil, the kids will enjoy it, too.

IMG_3664.jpeg

Not the best picture, but it is best I have right now. Bolt knob and ARCA clamp knob for bipod (neither shown) got painted International Harvester red to somewhat match the barrel. And when I shoot, a can hangs off the end to make it a more gentlemanly experience. 🤣

Thanks for all the help, Brad!

Very cool looking. However it would be illegal to hunt with in Idaho. We have a 16 pound weight limit on hunting guns. The 50 Cal BMG guys were wounding too many elk taking ridiculously long shots across canyons.

Muddy wants to turn my rig into a soccer jersey or a NASCAR vehicle! While magnets don’t stick to aluminum, and I do not have a Capt Morgan sticker on hand, I’ll shamelessly offer this:
IMG_3685.jpeg
Our daughter has a rare genetic condition, and one of the ways it manifests itself is difficulty in speech. Her brain knows what it wants to do, but it cannot process (a-praxis) how to tell the muscles what to do in order to form intelligible speech.
No kickbacks from that, but I could not pass up the opportunity to raise awareness. We used to be more involved with Apraxia Kids, but now our support is mostly financial. After the genetic diagnosis, we have shifted our attention toward learning more about it and connecting with families who also have a child with the same condition.

@Farleg asked about groups. Shots 27-36 down the tube can be seen in these two groups:
IMG_3681.jpeg
Not bad, considering I don’t know what I am doing!
I thought I could improve upon that with the next group of five, but there was a giant flyer. Such is life.
IMG_3684.jpeg
Soon enough, I’ll shoot through the rounds I developed for a Savage takeoff barrel that I had in the action last summer and work up a new load for the longer tube. More important than that, though, is to work on the monkey yanking on the trigger!

@les, does your son have an AAC device?

I’ll carry this to the PM side.

As for the target pills, don’t throw me in that briar patch! That said, I am shooting 168SMKs now. Considering the newer 169SMKs once the current stash is loaded and shot. Nothing but hammers for hunting and other fooling around, but I am not sure my budget can stomach hammers for plonking paper as much as I would like to shoot this rifle. I also have a B-14R which is a very nice budget friend plinker, but it’s not nearly as satisfying shooting subsonic 22lr compared to the .308!

Back